• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we a better team w/o Big Dog?

JTFan31

IMO I think we are, we take better care of the ball....more sharing of the ball and better team defense. Ira has really improved his 3 point shooting this year....yes he was en fuego last night, but he has been hitting that shot very consistently. I think the player that has really surprise is Dion Glover, he is becoming a threat.....driving in and hitting 3's and his jumper has improved tremendously. I would rather see the lineup of JT/DG/DJ/Reef/Theo next year, that is of course if DJ comes back healthy. Trading Big Dog for say 2 players that will come here and contribute....I would go for that....something like Big Dog for Pippen/Dale Davis......dont know how salary works, but I will do that. Well my point is that I think we are a better team offensively and defensivelly w/o the Dog....I say offensively because everyone is involved in the offense w/o the Dog.

i want to see this lineup-

Terry, Johnson, Newble, Abdur-Rahim, Ratliff with Glover being our 6th man.

I think we play "SMART" basketball with that lineup with a good 1/2 combo in Abdur-Rahim and Terry. Ratliff will have his share of high percentage shots and Johnson should be open for couple 3s. Newble is out there primarly for defense.

If our offense is lacking in SAR/Terry, we bring in Glover to give us a spark.

That lineup has a very good combination of OFFENSE and DEFENSE, but focuses more on DEFENSE ala DETROIT PISTONS.

• Premium Member

We play better at Home.

I would guess that the 6 wins in the 6-3 record are all home wins?

As far as disrupting continuity... Again, I think it's PG and Coaching. Big Dog is our leading scorer. I believe that confuses JT. It would probably be good to trade Big Dog. For a player who can't lead us in scoring. Possibly a guy who can hit a three 50% of the time. IF Persons were available, that would be a good deal but Memphis wouldn't trade him for the world. However, that's what we need... Or Another PG.

A player is needed at the 2 or 3 that is not afraid or too lazy to do the "little" things (these are really big things). Sprewell come to mid. While he is far from a saint off the court (but no worse then Dog beating up his girlfriends) he is a saint on the court and in the lockeroom. He gives 100% effort even while losing and plays with heart on both sides of the court (something Dog phisically and mentally cannot do). He shows loyalty to teamates (Dog- Allen confrontation). After all Spree and Houston get along great, why can't Allen and Dog. B/c dog is to lazy to play a full game or full practice ?

It has been echoed on the forum that with Pete gone Spree may now be a better fit here. I totally agree.

1/8/03

Theo is the last person we need to bench. Dig Dog needs to come off the bench.

Our best lineup would be.

JT

DG

Ira

SAR

Theo

Too bad nobody listened to me...hehehe .....Is Ira under contract for next year? I know DG will be gone probably.

See what most people fail to realize is that sure u can point out flaws in IRA and DG and JT individually...but they can become a very good TEAM with Theo and SAR.

Big Dog and Ham should be gone.

• Premium Member

I'm examining Grob's best and worst days... Interesting.

1. Philly... 28.7 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 3.6 apg. (32/59 FG%)

2. Houston... 28.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.0 apg (12/18 FG%)

3. Minn.... 27.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.0 apg. (24/46 FG%)

4. Seattle....26.0 ppg, 9 rpg, 4.5 apg. (50% FG%)

5. Chicago.....25.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.2apg. (50% FG%)

I find this strange. These are big Dog's 5 best series. WHat the numbers show is that in his best games, He scores more than 25 ppg and he shoots better than 50%. The problem is that these (minus Chicago/Houston) are good defensive teams. So what is he doing right against these guys??? What's their common flaw that he's exploiting?

Big Dog is just one of those NBA scorers that is pretty much unstopable if he's on. The problem is the rest of his game (other than maybe his rebounding) SUX. He'd be a great offensive weapon to have off the bench. If you cant score bring him in and he'd throw it up there. If he's off, no big deal just throw him back on the bench. The problem is no coach would use him that way, especially with his paycheck.

I'd like to see us keep this team intact, including resigning JT and DG and DJ. Then trade Big Dog for anyone that would help us off the bench and help us distribute the ball. Then all we need is another proper fitting player and we'll be fine!

Big Dog is a player that came into the league with a lot of physical gifts, but once in the league, he decided that scoring was the only thing he would put forth an effort to do.

Big Dog is a gifted scorer who can flat out shoot, and he's one of the better rebounding small forwards in the game. What he doesn't do is play agressive defense or play within an offense. He put it all together for half a season, and that half a season, along with Ray Allen's and Sam Cassell's contributions, propelled Milwaukee into the Eastern Conference Finals.

I think that group fell apart because all three players have their own selfish desires and refused to play defense or as a team consistently.

IMO, JT and SAR were becoming a very good duo late in the 2001-2002 season. They were getting role player contributions from Ira Newble and DerMarr Johnson along the way. Glenn Robinson has come in and broken that chemistry that was developing.

I've said before that if Glenn would ever pay attention to those other areas of the game and tone down his selfishness, then he could work out for this team. His midrange game is exactly what this team needs to compliment SAR's offense and to take some pressure off JT.

With all that said, I would hesitate to trade Glenn for just anything. The guy has value, though it is decreased due to his contract. He's a career 20+ ppg scorer, and Hawks fans should know that those aren't easy to come by. The Hawks spent 1994-2001 trying to find a guy that could consistently score 20 ppg. Steve Smith couldn't do it. Isaiah Rider didn't last long enough to do it. Jim Jackson couldn't do it. Now, the Hawks have two guys who can do, and I'm not so sure they need to throw that away right now. For all the Glenn has seemingly done to wreck the team's chemistry, there is a chance that a coach like Mike Fratello, Paul Silas, Jeff Van Gundy, or Doc Rivers could come in and actually get Glenn to play the way George Karl got him to play for that half a season.

Considering that Glenn's only got two years left on his deal after this season, I think it may be a better long term investment to see if a strong minded coach can push the right buttons on him.