• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Devin Harris, but not Smoove?

khaos7

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs. But, Devin Harris (who is a good player) gets an extention before Josh Smith? I know about the whole ownership thing, wanting to see what Josh will do this year for leverage, blah, blah, blah. I think the Hawks could potentially be playing with fire.

Iggy and the 76ers are going through the same thing. Iggy is more important to the 76ers then Smoove is to us. At least we have a all star in JJ to fall back on. In my world Iggy is the only guy in Philly with star potential....where as we have 3 to 4 guys with super star potential: JJ, Smoove, Horford, and even Law at the PG position could all be stars one day.

Other teams are going through the same process.

I agree...PATIENCE is the key. With the new court ruling maybe the ASG can now give Smoove a longer and more lucrative contract offers without Belkin's approval.

Quote:

plus Harris signed for 8.4 million per.

If I'm the Hawks I'm a little leery about giving Josh Smith a piece of paper worth 55-60 million for him to sign.

I agree. I would hate for all those $$$$$ to put out the competitive fire that seems to be buring in Smoove all off season. Let that fire burn some more and let him prove he is really worth a high dollar, long term committment.

The worst thing for Smoove may be to get rich overnight causing complacency.

With any other organization, I would agree. But, this is the Atlanta Spirit/Hawks we're talking about. Couple that with the fact Smoove has improved each year, other guys from his class have received extentions, and the guy is beginning to fill stats in three critical areas (points, rebounds, blocks), you could possibly get him for the cheap...now. It's a 50/50 proposition. 50% chance he improves and commands an even larger salary cap restricting contract or 50% chance he regresses/stays the same. His history says the former is a more likely situation. Billy Knight isn't the best poker player folks.

It's just my opinion, give him the contract now. I still think he's going to play with intensity. Reason why? The contract AFTER this one is where the real dollars comes into play. That's the case in the league now.

Quote:

It's just my opinion, give him the contract now. I still think he's going to play with intensity. Reason why?
The contract AFTER this one is where the real dollars comes into play.
That's the case in the league now.

I am not buying this. I don't think he will be thinking much about his next contract or this one coming up really. I think he will play with intensity because he is an intense player.

People gave him a bad rap about his body language but he really has never been a slacker. Even as a rookie he didn't know what he was doing but he was flying all over the court trying to block shots and cause havoc.

And we have all seen how emotional and competitive he is in general. We have also seen him constantly trying to improve all aspects of his game. I think that is just his personality and isn't tied to his contract.

And if the ownership situation gets resolved then there is nothing to worry about.

Quote:

Josh Smith is about to become a filthy rich man, no matter how this situation with the Hawks pans out.

True, but i really don't think his basketball motivation is dependent on his contract any more than JJ's is.

JJ wanted to get top dollar no doubt, but the bottom line is that he loves the game and is a competitor.

I don't get this fear that Smith will get lazy after he signs a big deal or that his basketball motivation is heavily dependent on money.

That was my point,Exodus. I think, for his love of B-Ball and desire to win, he'll continue to strive to get better. My fear is, Atlanta will tick him off. Even though he'll be a restricted free agent, if his game goes off the charts, his value will rise. Look at our very on Joe Johnson. Even though Billy "overpaid" in some eyes, Joe proved in Phoenix that he was a player. He was a restricted Free Agent, but due to the market, he commanded more money than Phoenix could afford. So they allowed him to walk. True, the Suns got Diaw and 2 1st rounders in return. But who would suggest Billy would be so shrewd with Smoove if the same situation happened to the Hawks to command similar compensation? Especially given Billy was on the wrong end of the lopsided trade in many people's eyes.

Quote:

That was my point,Exodus. I think, for his love of B-Ball and desire to win, he'll continue to strive to get better. My fear is, Atlanta will tick him off. Even though he'll be a restricted free agent, if his game goes off the charts, his value will rise. Look at our very on Joe Johnson. Even though Billy "overpaid" in some eyes, Joe proved in Phoenix that he was a player. He was a restricted Free Agent, but due to the market, he commanded more money than Phoenix could afford. So they allowed him to walk. True, the Suns got Diaw and 2 1st rounders in return. But who would suggest Billy would be so shrewd with Smoove if the same situation happened to the Hawks to command similar compensation? Especially given Billy was on the wrong end of the lopsided trade in many people's eyes.

I agree i would rather they sign him now.

The part i am disagreeing about is here;

Quote:

It's just my opinion, give him the contract now. I still think he's going to play with intensity.
Reason why? The contract AFTER this one is where the real dollars comes into play.

We both agree that he will play with intensity after he signs. We just disagree on the reason why.

harris is overrated ALOT. folks in dallas wants to get rid of jason terry because they think harris is gonna transforn to jason kidd. and he is overrated on desfense ALOT. i rather have a undersize shooting guard giving me 16 points a and 4 assists a game then and point guard giving me 11 points and 2 assists a game is mediocre on defense.

Quote:

harris is overrated ALOT. folks in dallas wants to get rid of jason terry because they think harris is gonna transforn to jason kidd. and he is overrated on desfense ALOT. i rather have a undersize shooting guard giving me 16 points a and 4 assists a game then and point guard giving me 11 points and 2 assists a game is mediocre on defense.

I think you UNDERestimate Harris as a PG due to the stars he puts up in that system.

Quote:

Quote:

plus Harris signed for 8.4 million per.

If I'm the Hawks I'm a little leery about giving Josh Smith a piece of paper worth 55-60 million for him to sign.

I agree. I would hate for all those $$$$$ to put out the competitive fire that seems to be buring in Smoove all off season. Let that fire burn some more and let him prove he is really worth a high dollar, long term committment.

The worst thing for Smoove may be to get rich overnight causing complacency.

You got to pay him anyway. If he is the type of guy who will get spoiled by money it will happen whether or not you do it in October or in July of 2008. The difference is that he still wants to play here NOW.