• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Doc says Stotts is a keeper!

KB21

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/sports/ha...03/16hawks.html

I think this will be the general feeling around the league. When you get a young coach that has made the progress Terry has made this season, you keep him.

If/When the Hawks win tonight, Stotts's winning percentage will be around 8 points lower than Eric Musselman's.

Muss is very likely to finish the season 38-44 = .463

Stotts is very likely to finish the season 25-30 = .455

I liked Stotts from the start. There were many factors why he wasn't great to begin with, a couple of which consist of starting halfway through the season and the team had to learn basics again. He's actually a coach that cares. I really hope that we keep him at least one more year (hopefully a year without Dog). If he doesn't cut it in that time limit, then we start the 2004-05 season with a new one.

You don't cut the bud of a flower before it blooms. You give it water and sun, pull the weeds that occassionally pop up, and watch it become something beautiful.

Sorry for the flower talk, but it's the best way I can describe it. We let Musselman get away. Let's not let Stotts. Offer him the chance to build the great team that we could be.

I was listening to somebody talking about Stotts and

Keith Smart, but they said that it's rather unfair that

these guys not return because a coach really comes

into effect in training camp.He said that coaches that

change at mid season isn't a fair judgement of what

they can do as a head coach.....It seems to make

sense in some ways, but would it be better to just

get a good proven head coach so in theory you have

less chance to fail?

-We obviously improved w/ Stotts than Kruger.

-I like how Stotts designs LAST-SECOND shots w/ Henderson as Mike Vick.

-I think we should give him a 1 year contract, see what he can do for an entire season... if he continues to do well, extend his contract.

• Premium Member

But the more that I think about it, the more I think Stotts deserves the shot. Really. Fratello was made Hawks coach under similar conditions. I have always believed that training camp is essential for any coach to implement his system. Without a camp, Stotts has done well. I don't like some of the rotations he does, but he has gotten much better. He needs a bigger staff though.

Well, put it this way? How many of the established head coaches in the NBA right now would be head coaches in the NBA if they had been dumped because they didn't have a winning record in their first year?

Look at Paul Silas. He had a terrible record for the then San Diego Clippers, and they canned him after 3 seasons. It seemed like he had been blackballed from coaching after that, because he didn't even land an assistant's job till around 1988. Now, he will likely be the most sought after head coach in the offseason.

I like the style and philosophy of Terry Stotts. And remember, if the Hawks win tonight, his record will be a very respectable 25-30 for a first year head coach.