• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some Thoughts

KB21

1. Based on his play so far in the preseason as well as what we have heard about his play in training camp, it won't be long before Acie Law IV is the Hawks starting point guard. He will probably start the season out on the bench behind Speedy Claxton, but I expect we will see the minute distribution between the two be something like 18 minutes for Speedy and 30 minutes for Law. The Hawks have the best rookie point guard in the NBA.

2. I was reading in the game thread, and someone mentioned Josh Childress's efficiency. I've been banging the drum about his efficient play for two years now. Josh Childress is a guy that will come off the bench but will get starters minutes. He's also a player that is the best on this basketball team at moving without the ball, and from what I've heard, he has developed a nice little turn around jumper. That will allow him to expand his game a little farther.

• Premium Member

Both Josh Childress and Marvin Williams have been efficient so far. If they remain that efficient this year, the Hawks will kill that playoff drought dead.

Still, I am a little worried about how the Hawks have been eaten up inside, but they have played two of the best big men in the NBA (Shaq, Howard). Sekou mentioned it in his latest blog, but as I pointed out over there, there's really nothing you can do about it. Legit defenders of the Shaq's, Howard's, Yao's either don't exist or aren't traded.

Quote:

Both Josh Childress and
Marvin Williams
have been efficient so far. If they remain that efficient this year, the Hawks will kill that playoff drought dead.

So just like last year and summer league...Marvin still sucks wink.gif

Please do not take the above comment seriously. Just figured I would fire the 1st MWill disclaimer; and assault on this thread before Diesel logs in...

Quote:

Legit defenders of the Shaq's, Howard's, Yao's either don't exist or aren't traded.

This is so true of every great player at any position. The Glove not being able to stop Jordan and Magic not being able to stop Isiah rings true as well...

• Admin

I am not happy with Woodson playing Smith, Marvin and Chil so many minutes. It was between 33 - 37 minutes for those guys.

It doesn't matter if we win any of these games. Players like Jones, Sheldon and the rest of the bench need some minutes to get experience and acclimated. He is already playing an 8 man rotation which makes NO sense since it is preseason.

The point of preseason is for players to learn and get acclimated. If you look at other teams they are allowing most of their guys to get some PT and experience.

I agree that pre-season is usually when you get to see more of the rookies and players on the far side of the bench. But this is the first time we've had this team together properly.

I think Woody is just trying to build a bit of chemistry, and test the rotations he will use during the regular season.

Maybe Salim and Solo etc will get more playing time as the pre-season goes on, and Woody gets comfortable with the team.

Quote:

I am not happy with Woodson playing Smith, Marvin and Chil so many minutes. It was between 33 - 37 minutes for those guys.

It doesn't matter if we win any of these games. Players like Jones, Sheldon and the rest of the bench need some minutes to get experience and acclimated. He is already playing an 8 man rotation which makes NO sense since it is preseason.

The point of preseason is for players to learn and get acclimated. If you look at other teams they are allowing most of their guys to get some PT and experience.

I agree to a point. I would like to see Holford, Shelden, and Acie all get 25 to 30 minutes. In fact, all three in the starting lineup for a couple of games would be great. But due to the number of games missed by our starters last year, I think we need to develop some chemistry also.

I could really care less about Solomon and Mario not getting any playing time. Especially if it is going to take away from developing Shelden, Horford, and Acie and/or our team chemistry.

It is not like we our Miami or even Orlando. Their starting five have already played quite a few games together...

Steve Smith talked about this problem a year ago. The real issue is that training camp is too short. The guys have a week in camp and then they are playing games. These games are more like camp than they are true games. Thus, big minutes are going to pile up for the young players that are being counted on.

The NBA really needs to extend training camp by about 10 days to get guys ready for in-game competition. I expect that the whole league will see a lot injuries again this year due to the training camp issue.

Quote:

Still, I am a little worried about how the Hawks have been eaten up inside, but they have played two of the best big men in the NBA (Shaq, Howard).

And Udonis Haslem?!?

Nothing but excitement, much more good than bad for the Hawks so far, but I am more than a little concerned that a player like Haslem had a career night against us.

Does anyone who saw or heard the game (I did neither) have an explanation for how that happened? Who was defending him?

• Premium Member

Quote:

And Udonis Haslem?!?

Nothing but excitement, much more good than bad for the Hawks so far, but I am more than a little concerned that a player like Haslem had a career night against us.

Does anyone who saw or heard the game (I did neither) have an explanation for how that happened? Who was defending him?

He always plays well against the Hawks! I wonder why?

Quote:

Quote:

Still, I am a little worried about how the Hawks have been eaten up inside, but they have played two of the best big men in the NBA (Shaq, Howard).

And Udonis Haslem?!?

Haslem has a career night every time he faces the Hawks.

I have become used to it. Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

Quote:

Quote:

And Udonis Haslem?!?

He always plays well against the Hawks! I wonder why?

Might have something do with him playing on the Hawks summer league team, but not making the final roster.