• Raised $390 of $700 target

diesel's Trade of the day.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Hanno Mottola, E. Davis, and 1st rounder to Detroit

for

Rodney White.

First the particulars:

1. White is slated to play for Detroit in 2000never. He plays the same position as Corliss Williamson who has finally stepped up and earned the name Big Nasty.

2. detroit lacks toughness in the frontcourt behind Ben Wallace.

3. Detroit really needs a gaurd.

4. Detroit choosing Tayshun Prince may be a sign that they aren't happy with White.

Why White:

1. He dominated the Big man's camp last yr.

2. The Wizard of Westwood claimed that he was one of the best players he had ever seen. And he coached many great players.

I believe that White could have used some extra developiing time. However, I think that he was sent to the wrong time as a developing player. While Carlisle was coach of the yr, Carlisle didn't have time to develop a rookie.

With JT and DJ already on the floor, I think we can take a chance on getting White.

I think he's a scorer.

6'9 238-240 means we don't have to worry about size.

It would be nice to see him down to 230 but not neccessary.

davis and Hanno are lunchmeat anyway. The pick (from Indy) would be good for them too.

Because it clears up room for more players.

The way i see it, i wanna see a Keon Clark type bench player off the hawks bench. IMO Bowdler, Mottola, Email are all 3rd string players better known as BACKUPS for the BACKUPS.

i see it as giving a first rounder for White.

I like it!

Rodney White was an almost unknown player until

late in the 2000-2001 season. He came on late

played very well, and absolutely owned the pre draft

camps. He went from nowhere to the #9 overall

pick by the Pistons(even though I picked for Detroit

in our mock draft and took Loren Woods).

He is a big player with a nice shooting touch, and

is very athletic. I don't know why he had such a

bad year this year, but many rookies do and with his

talent and potential I would love to take a chance on

him, especially if we could get him for Diesel's deal.

Diesel, make it happen.

• Premium Member

One thing you didn't mention is that White played college ball for Charlotte and he dominated.

Him and Jamison dominated that annual Big Man's camp in Hawaii last yr. Even though he's a Sf. He had a bad rookie season because he was playing behind:

Cliffy Robinson, Corliss "Big Nasty" Williamson, and Curry. I think that he has great ability, I just don't know why he's in the doghouse... I will track down some info from my Detroit sources?

I had forgotten where he played his college ball,

I just remembered few had even heard of him before

his senior season, and he came on big and owned

the camps.

Who know's why a player has a bad rookie season.

Sometimes it's because they really aren't any good,

and sometimes it's because they're in the wrong

situation, i.e. coach, system, stuck behind veterans,

winning team, so he gets little playing time, etc.

I don't think Gasol or Battier would have looked nearly

as good playing on a really good team, where they

couldn't get on the floor and prove themselves.

Memphis sucking so bad last year will really help them

in the long run IMO because those two got plenty

of playing time, and used it very well.

So, do you think we could really get White for what

you suggested??? They are rumored to be desperate

for a PG, maybe we could do a SNT with JV in the

mix somehow.

• Premium Member

My thoughts is that JV, Hanno, and a first for White, Cap Filler would be a done deal. They really need a PG because Atkins is what they have now and they plan on going after McInnis and Best but I think that JV is better than Best and they won't get McInnis.

Here's what some FANS had to say about White:

In reply to:

What's up with Rodney White?

Diesel Hawks - Jul 4, 2002 5:30 am

Hi,

I'm wondering what will the Pistons do with White.

They have Barry who can probably play Sf. They still have Curry. There's Corliss. ON occassion there's old man Robinson. There's Tayshun Prince (who was the steal of the draft). So what about White. Would he be best suited for trade?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hobbs - Jul 4, 2002 5:51 am (#1 of 5)

Barry can't play SF. Robinson might be getting a little long in the tooth to get much run at the spot. They've said that Prince will be seeing time at SG. Corliss will probably remain in his current role off the bench.

Otherwise, it's fairly obvious they're willing to and desire to cut Michael Curry's minutes. White is the candidate to take those minutes. He's been in Detroit working on his game all offseason and will be on the summer league team this year (barring an injury). That should be fairly telling. The team still maintains that White is a big part of the future.

Chemist - Jul 4, 2002 5:53 am (#2 of 5)

Forget it. Joe is NOT going to be trading Rodney any time in the near future unless some mega deal comes up (which is highly unlikely this season). According to all reports, Rodney is working his a** off over the summer and that's exactly what Joe asked him to do. Joe is in NO hurry to give up on him. As recently as a week ago, Joe was still saying that Rodney has loads of talent and just needs to work hard on certain aspects of his game. Joe will give him plenty of time to show whether or not he can adjust to the NBA game. Remember that one of the things that Joe liked about Rodney back when he drafted him was the fact that he was a gym rat and liked to work on his game. Until Rodney starts slacking off a lot, expect him to remain a member of this team.

King Mob - Jul 4, 2002 6:13 am (#3 of 5)

Come draft time, everyone is a "gym rat." Every player a GM or head coach talks about is a gym rat."He's the first in the gym and the last to leave. We love his basketball IQ. He really feels the game. He can jump out of the gym. Then jump back into the gym. Then hustle for the loose ball and jump back out of the gym again. We love his upside. We think he has tremendous upside." I hate sifting through that crap to try and find actual info.

Chemist - Jul 4, 2002 7:04 am (#4 of 5)

Well I'm talking Joe D. here, not "every GM". Joe seems to pick his words carefully when talking about the team. He spent a considerable amount of time last year saying that it was that gym-rat mentality that helped persuade him to choose Rodney. I don't believe it was hype in this case.

!Hack - Jul 4, 2002 7:36 am (#5 of 5)

LOL @ post 3. I especially like the jumping back into the gym part.