HORFORD SMOKES THE BOBCATS

NJHAWK

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

And don't forget about those 4 blocks. It would take Shelly 2-3 months to get that many! (haha, im just playing bout Shelly... kinda).

I think it would take Shelly a season to get 4 blocks. They should change his nickname from Landlord to LEADFOOT. He won't be a landlord with Horford around.

Quote:

And don't forget about those 4 blocks. It would take Shelly 2-3 months to get that many!

I think it would take Shelly a season to get 4 blocks. They should change his nickname from Landlord to LEADFOOT. He won't be a landlord with Horford around.

This is the kind of stuff I don't like. Shelden Williams is starting his second year in the league. Very few come into the league and prosper right away.

Physically, he is no leadfoot. He has average hops, above average agility. Not much footspeed, though he is quick. Good wingspan, not a lot of height for a post player. But his problem is standing reach. For someone with his wingspan to have such a low reach, his shoulders have got to be near his waist.

All that said, S. Williams is the kind of guy I want on my team. He has said he WANTS to play center. How many undersized guys have you ever heard say that? He hits the weights. Few do that to the point of developing dominating strength, and it looks like Shelden will. He is smart.

After seeing players like Speedy and their negative MRI's, I can't see knocking Shelden, who is a man. He had a shoulder brace most of last year. Did he sit? A pulled hamstring this preseason. Did he ask to sit? Last game he busted a hole in the Court, and bled from his head and both elbows. Did he sit?

He is not a shotblocker. He has no vertical reach. What he has is darn good strength which will improve, good smarts, and balls. He will not stuff the ball back down Howard's or Aldridge's throat, but when he learns what he's doing at this level, neither of them will get position at their favorite spot. A guy like that plays by using his strength and leverage and timing, and moves guys away from the basket. Wes Unseld was a couple inches shorter than S. Williams, and Wes is in the Hall of Fame.

I am thrilled if Al and Acie can translate their games immediately into the NBA - if that is true we are incredibly lucky. But that is rare. Shelden has physical limitations, but he's got heart, and strength. When he gets his game, I think we'll be glad to have him, and I think he will give us good minutes at the 5. Give the kid some time.

If Shelly steps up it will be a huge bonus for the Hawks. Most aren't counting on much from him. But, if he can rebound with the second unit and play some defense that will help.

The problem is that we spent a top 5 draft pick on a tweener who can't block a shot and has trouble on defense. We can't do it over but let's hope the GM doesn't ever get a career bench role player with our top 5 pick...again.

Quote:

Quote:

And don't forget about those 4 blocks. It would take Shelly 2-3 months to get that many!

This is the kind of stuff I don't like. Shelden Williams is starting his second year in the league. Very few come into the league and prosper right away.

Physically, he is no leadfoot. He has average hops, above average agility. Not much footspeed, though he is quick. Good wingspan, not a lot of height for a post player. But his problem is standing reach. For someone with his wingspan to have such a low reach, his shoulders have got to be near his waist.

All that said, S. Williams is the kind of guy I want on my team. He has said he WANTS to play center. How many undersized guys have you ever heard say that? He hits the weights. Few do that to the point of developing dominating strength, and it looks like Shelden will. He is smart.

After seeing players like Speedy and their negative MRI's, I can't see knocking Shelden, who is a man. He had a shoulder brace most of last year. Did he sit? A pulled hamstring this preseason. Did he ask to sit? Last game he busted a hole in the Court, and bled from his head and both elbows. Did he sit?

He is not a shotblocker. He has no vertical reach. What he has is darn good strength which will improve, good smarts, and balls. He will not stuff the ball back down Howard's or Aldridge's throat, but when he learns what he's doing at this level, neither of them will get position at their favorite spot. A guy like that plays by using his strength and leverage and timing, and moves guys away from the basket. Wes Unseld was a couple inches shorter than S. Williams, and Wes is in the Hall of Fame.

I am thrilled if Al and Acie can translate their games immediately into the NBA - if that is true we are incredibly lucky. But that is rare. Shelden has physical limitations, but he's got heart, and strength. When he gets his game, I think we'll be glad to have him, and I think he will give us good minutes at the 5. Give the kid some time.

Great and timely post. We are all going nuts on our new rookies and forgetting all these. Shelden was playing at a very high level in the last month of last season and won the Rookie of the Month. Hopefully he overcomes all his issues and starts playing at that level again. He gives us great depth and makes it much easier to trade for a superstar like Kobe if things propel that way.

It wasn't a great draft. Who did we miss out on? Roy and Foye? They would probably just be pulling the 10 minutes that Joe sits, unless he gets hurt. Millsap? Would he play much with Smoove and Al on the team?

I'm waiting for the long haul to gauge the Shelden pick. He's got the intangibles to be a good player.

Quote:

If Shelly steps up it will be a huge bonus for the Hawks. Most aren't counting on much from him. But, if he can rebound with the second unit and play some defense that will help.

The problem is that we spent a top 5 draft pick on a tweener who can't block a shot and has trouble on defense. We can't do it over but let's hope the GM doesn't ever get a career bench role player with our top 5 pick...again.

When Portland got Oden they let go of all their frustrations of letting Gerald Wallace go for nothing.

We need to be happy with Acie/Horford combo and thank heavens that things happened the way they did.

If Claxton wasn't injured we could have catapulted over the pacers and given them the 10th pick and lose our pick to suns.

All those injuries and late development of draft picks have put us in a great position to enjoy many incredible seasons from now on.

So, just let go of you past frustrations and start enjoying the ride. Otherwise, you'll miss most of the fun. We are going to playoffs every year, baby.

Quote:

Quote:

When Portland got Oden they let go of all their frustrations of letting Gerald Wallace go for nothing.

Wallace was taken from Sacramento in Charlotte's draft, he was never in Portland.

You are right. Just put another example there. There are plenty. Like trading JO Neil for Davis or something like that.

The point is that they have stopped Crying about the past.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great and timely post. We are all going nuts on our new rookies and forgetting all these. Shelden was playing at a very high level in the last month of last season and won the Rookie of the Month. Hopefully he overcomes all his issues and starts playing at that level again. He gives us great depth and makes it much easier to trade for a superstar like Kobe if things propel that way.

Two wrongs don't make a right - not saying Diesel is the reason why all posters that are bashing Shelden are doing so, but I think in some cases it may be possible. Even if it's not on purpose.

Diesel's anti-Marvin pro-Shelden march is hard to ignore. But let's not let it make us overcompensate our love for Marvin and our frustrations with Shelden.

Personally I think Shelden has a lot of room for growth as an NBA player.

• Premium Member

Pro Shelden March??

Wow?

I've said that Shelden was not the wrong pick at the time we picked him and now I have a "Pro Shelden March"...

I'll tell you what. For the next week, I will start my Pro Acie March. I'm especially going to taunt those who said that they wanted Conley Jr. During the draft... And let's see if that causes a negative effect on Acie's popularity around here...

What's a theory without experimentation?

I like Horford performance. I was happier seeing Law out there. I was a little worried about his wrist. He still isn't shooting the ball well. If you go around the league. None of the guards are shooting the ball well. Stuckley seem to be the most impressive guard. Only problem that I am hearing from Pistons fans. He turns the ball over too much.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dead on! Great post. Shelden does not deserve to get bashed nor any of our young players on our team. They have all shown glimpses of their potential at one time or another.

It's been said many times; but seems to be forgotten alot, if you do not like the pick, bash BK and put it in a thread were it belongs.

On a positive note; Horford is going to be hard for Woody to keep off the floor. Best overall game by one of our bigs in so long, I cannot even remember the last time it happened!

Quote:

Best overall game by one of our bigs in so long, I cannot even remember the last time it happened!

Come on now. Horford had a nice game but let me refresh your memory a bit.

Last game of the regular season Smith had 25/13 with 4 blocks. Earlier in the month he had 28/18 against the Bucks. he had a 24/14 game against the Wizards with 7 blocks (I was at that game btw).

He had a statline that hadn't been seen since Olajuwon. 21/10 with 5 blocks, 5 assists and 4 steals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=261212001

I could go on but i shouldn't have to. And these games counted.

Quote:

I don't think he was counting Josh Smith as a big.

My bad. I should have been a little clearer. Anyone 6'10" or taller who can actually play center. With all that being said, we would have to probably go back to at least Mutombo. Go Big Al Horford!

Quote:

Dead on! Great post. Shelden does not deserve to get bashed nor any of our young players on our team.

Since when has stating that from what you have seen and heard from a player in the preseason that if he doesn't play better his minutes should be cut bashing? Its only trying to put the players with the most confidence on the floor eliminating as many missed easy field goal attempts, rebounds and defense down low.

If Shelden continues to play like he has in the preseason he will have some of you screaming to cut his minutes. Maybe since some of you haven't seen what I have in the scrimmage and a preseason game you don't understand my concern with this player. He has to do better or he will end up back in Woodys doghouse sooner than later.