• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC.com: JJ speaks - Hawks need to make a trade...

flava

Quote:

Yeah, I don't like the timing at all either.

I hope this isn't a sign that Joe thinks the team he has is horrible, and that we don't have a shot at the playoffs without a veteran star.

I hope it is just a matter of Joe not being a GM and not thinking about the long term. Not thinking about all the pieces you'd lose in a trade or that you might make the playoffs for a few years, but once that's over, you'll have to rebuild again.

The timing definitely sucks though. I'd much rather see an article about Joe's high hopes for the season and the progress our young players are making. I guess that isn't the way he feels though.

In the era of free agency/salary you have to make moves now..pretty much every championship team in this era has put their team together by drafting well and then picking up a couple of good free agents. You cant draft in the lottery every year and hope they grow together.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or has this article been taken down??

I can't see it on the AJC page.

Maybe it IS older and was mistakenly put out again? Does anyone know the deal?

Also, noone is talking about over on Sekou's blog. And, trust me, if Sekou put this out people would DEFINITELY be asking questions.

Am I missing something here? Anyone know the deal?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

"But at the same time, there were supposed to be some more pieces, some more free agents. They talked about it again this past summer. But as you can see, nothing happened.

That's because our GM sucks. We had a lot of capspace in the summer of '06, a tradable asset in Harrington and the 5th pick in the draft and wound up with 3 garbage cans and a mid-first round pick which we lucked out on.

That season, either before the deadline or during the summer, was the time to make something happen and BK failed, simple as that.

Well you are about 200% correct. BK could not even get a Harrington deal done and we got nothing!!! So, keep singing his praises HawkSquawk and we contine winning 30-35 games per year.

The timing is messed up but has he said anything incorrect? He was sold a bill of goods in the form of more veteran help being on the way and instead, he got Lo Wright and Craig Clankston to ride shotgun with. I'm pretty sure that's not what he had in mind when he left Arizona.

JB, that's been my point since I joined the forum years ago. You can't continually enter the lottery, get high draft picks, don't acquire much veteran help via free agency or trade, and expect the young guys to grow together while the losses pile up. Odds are stacked that....

1) The established veteran player is going to start piping up about the young guys not being ready (JJ)

2) One or more of the young guys are going to be sick of the losing and bolt on the first thing smoking once contract time rolls around (Childress perhaps?)

3) One or more of the young guys aren't quite ready for prime time and sets the team back

That's precisely why I was screaming for the Hawks to go after a vet like Gasol when the ping-pong balls bounced their way. We know he's not the best post defender and was hurt last year...so? If for any other reason than the obvious (Gasol or Zaza?), it at least give the impression to guys like JJ that the front office is on his side; that he was right to leave Phoenix to come here all along.

To solely rely on young draft picks to get their ish together all at the same time while with the same team is not the best option here, especially when the main guy spends more time planning vacation cruises in the spring than playing basketball.

Quote:

The timing is messed up but has he said anything incorrect? He was sold a bill of goods in the form of more veteran help being on the way and instead, he got Lo Wright and Craig Clankston to ride shotgun with. I'm pretty sure that's not what he had in mind when he left Arizona.

JB, that's been my point since I joined the forum years ago. You can't continually enter the lottery, get high draft picks, don't acquire much veteran help via free agency or trade, and expect the young guys to grow together while the losses pile up. Odds are stacked that....

1) The established veteran player is going to start piping up about the young guys not being ready (JJ)

2) One or more of the young guys are going to be sick of the losing and bolt on the first thing smoking once contract time rolls around (Childress perhaps?)

3) One or more of the young guys aren't quite ready for prime time and sets the team back

That's precisely why I was screaming for the Hawks to go after a vet like Gasol when the ping-pong balls bounced their way. We know he's not the best post defender and was hurt last year...so? If for any other reason than the obvious (Gasol or Zaza?), it at least give the impression to guys like JJ that the front office is on his side; that he was right to leave Phoenix to come here all along.

To solely rely on young draft picks to get their ish together all at the same time while with the same team is not the best option here, especially when the main guy spends more time planning vacation cruises in the spring than playing basketball.

Like I have been sayin for years we are living in a world of perpetual Xmas eve. Its time to open the presents for God's sake.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So if i'm reading this correctlty, you would rather have Gasol over Law and Horford correct?

Shame on you guys, JOE IS RIGHT we need more pieces! What's wrong with saying that? That's why the Hawks are a losing team, because they have a pathetic fan base. The guy is asking GM to improve the team and than everyone jumps on his ass for that. Well he should stay quiet i guess and lose games for these pathetic fans who don't agree with him.

JOE JOhnson you are 100% right, put pressure on Billy and ASG to improve the team. If you don't do it nobody else will because noone cares about the Hawks in this town anyways. I see some people are saying WHY RUIN THE 7-1 preseason and mess up the team just before the season starts. Those people think we will contented for a championship this season and he is destroying our chemistry which is total BS. What this city needs is more people to follow Hawks and put pressure on BK and ASG, not jump on Joe for saying it.

Joe should be applauded for this, because he could of been quiet and play out his rich contract live a wonderful life and don't care if the team wins or loses. Instead Joe is improving his game every year + he wants to win so bad that he is putting pressure on his GM even though he is known to be quiet. Trust me if Joe doesn't care he would easily stay quiet about it and make that money without stressing.

He can still get a huge contract somewhere else if he plays bad his first years here and than explodes in his contract year. But Joe wants to improve his game and this team obvoisuly.

Joe cares for the Hawks DO you?

What was he supposed to say? I'm sure that when we recruited him to come here he was told that he was just one piece of the puzzle and that we were going to build through a combo of big time FAs and draft picks. Obviously, that hasn't happened. He has been our only big time FA signing and the rest of our "core" has come through the draft.

I love all of our young guys and I think that we can eventually be successful building slowly but if I'm in JJ's shoes and I see guys like Ray Allen and KG signing with new teams, I'm sure I would be pushing management to get involved in a deal like that. If I'm JJ (and I'm not saying he would be right to do so), I would be asking BK why in the hell he wasn't doing what it took to get Kobe here. From JJ's perspective, I'm sure he would send a Smoove/Marvin/Shelden combo to LA in a heartbeat for Kobe. That might not be best for the team long term but it would likely be best THIS year.

On another note, I like the fact that Woody is looking ahead regarding Smoove, Chillz and Marvin and their futures with this franchise. While JJ may or may not like it, if we can manage to keep him, Smoove, Chillz and Marvin together after next season, I think the franchise will be heading in the right direction.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure we got Acie Law for Harrington.

It turned out lucky for BK. Getting Acie was not part of the deal when it happened!

Nobody thought Diaw would turn out to be so good at Suns. So, in that first year, everybody blamed BK for that lopsided trade for JJ. It wasn't luck. Suns saw something BK didn't about Diaw. He got outsmarted. He lost the battle but he won the war (JJ) which we eventually found out. People need to stop casting Acie as a lucky break. If its luck, Hawks (and BK) have earned it and deserve all the credit.