• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson/Kobe Bryant deal

gsuteke

I'm not saying I'm for or against this deal, but let's just kick this around for a bit shall we?

Joe Johnson was recently quoted (or misquoted) in the AJC as saying he thought the Hawks need to make a move. Kobe Bryant wants out of Los Angeles, and who could blame him? Let's say for argument's sake Billy Knight places a call to Mitch Kupchek.

Both of these trades work under the CBA:

Joe Johnson/Speedy Claxton/Josh Childress = Kobe Bryant

That would be my initial offer. Offer two is:

Joe Johnson/Speedy Claxton/Marvin Williams = Kobe Bryant

I think the LAL would almost certainly accept the 2nd deal. Why? They would replace an All-Star with another one. They'd also get the #2 pick in the draft from a few years back that looks like he's ready to bust out onto the scene. Speedy Claxton has to be included to make salaries work. In any deal the LAL get for Kobe some bad salary would have to be exchanged.

Why would the Hawks do it? First of all it would clear up their perceived logjam at the Forward position.

Acie Law

Kobe Bryant

Josh Smith

Al Horford

Zaza Pachulia

that would leave Chillz coming off the bench. The Lakers are winning games in the West with junk surrounding Kobe. The Hawks would immediately bolt into the top 4 in the Conference. That's the reason Kobe may consider this destination if the Bulls deal falls through which seems likely if you pull Deng out of the equation.

BTW if we could get them to take Joe/Chillz/Speedy if they hit the panic button in a month after nothing has gotten done it would be the coup of the Century.

Quote:

It is better than the Chicago deal, although I would have misgivings on trading JJ who has been so damn loyal to our morbid franchise.

Sure its better - but Chicago doesn't need to make a great offer. According to sources Chicago is the only team on Kobe's list right now.

If Kobe decides he wants to play in Atlanta - you guys have more than enough pieces to get it done - but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Kobe to make that decision.

Quote:

According to sources Chicago is the only team on Kobe's list right now.

So what is Chicago offering now? I haven't really been following it.

The thread starter is obviously not aware that Kobe has a no trade clause so there is no chance he would come here.

Quote:

Quote:

It is better than the Chicago deal, although I would have misgivings on trading JJ who has been so damn loyal to our morbid franchise.

Sure its better - but Chicago doesn't need to make a great offer. According to sources Chicago is the only team on Kobe's list right now.

If Kobe decides he wants to play in Atlanta - you guys have more than enough pieces to get it done - but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Kobe to make that decision.

I don't see Chicago being a better destination even basketball wise. Our arena is better. Their fans are better but that is only because of 6 championships. If Kobe came to the A we'd be hollywood south/

If Kobe really wanted to come to Atlanta JJ wouldn't have to make any negative comments to want to ship him out of here. Kobe may very well think we have a nice group of young guys but he knows Woodsen is clueless as a coach & our ownership is more screwed up than the Lakers.

Rich Bucher on ESPN reported:

Kobe will not go to Chicago if Deng is not still there. This means a third team is being brought in. That team seems to be The Sacremento Kings who are shopping Ron Artest.

Supposedly the Bulls are looking to move Ben Wallace.

I'm guessing something along the lines of:

Artenst, B. Gordon, to the Lakers

Ben Wallace to the Kings

Kobe to the Bulls

I don't see Artest and Wallace both playing for the same team after they had that brawl. Who knows. They would be one mean front line if they ever got teamed up.

Lakers have:

Fisher , Famar , Critt

Gordon

Artest / Walton

Odom / Brown

Bynum / Mihm

Bulls have :

Hinerich

Kobe

Deng / Norcioni

Smith / Thomas

Noah

Kings:

Bibby

Martin

?

Wallace / Thomas

Miller / Reef

I really like the look of those Lakers and Bulls teams.

Quote:

The only reasonable offer I could see us making to get Kobe would be JJ, Josh Smith and a future 1st rounder. We'd ahve to SnT Josh, but I think money wise and talent wise it would work for them. I'd do it.

That's a HORRIBLE offer and you are clearly undervaluing Smith. Smith and JJ together is too much for Kobe, and again, Kobe would veto the trade if Smith AND JJ won't be here.

• Admin

I disagree on both. Smooth isn't a superstar and he's really only a star in Atlanta because of the dunk contest. He's a young player who has shown promise but a critical evaluation of him shows that he is a tweener who has holes in his game that can't be fixed by practice. I used him because he has some hype around him and that would likely allow us to SnT him for enough to get it done.

Kobe would be brought in to replace JJ. He's a better version of JJ in ever respect. So I don't see that being a problem. He would still be coming to a team with a LOT of young talent. Far more than he has in L.A and in the east they would be a playoff lock.

Personally, don't get that excited about any theoretical Kobe trades for the Hawks. I think nowadays you can win in the NBA without a superstar if you have quality depth at every position, and in a way the Hawks are moving in that direction.

If we had to lose Joe plus a couple more of our young guys, I don't know if we'd be much better off, plus Kobe wasn't happy winning 3 championships with Shaq, and now he's not happy leading in the league in scoring, so when's he gonna be happy? He can leave the Hawks in 2 years just like he can leave the Lakers, so I just don't see it.

Why the hell would BK say that the rebuilding is complete and then dismantle it before even sees how the team performs. Especially after a 7-1 preseason?

I also find it hard to believe that JJ Just made those comments, and even if he did, it is not justification for this trade assault. What makes you think Kboe would want to come here if JJ were gone? JJ >= Deng.

Quote:

he's really only a star in Atlanta because of the dunk contest.

That's such an inaccurate statement, I won't even bother to elaborate. Perhaps someone else will.

Quote:

he is a tweener

Actually, he's versatile, which I consider a good thing. I suppose you think Dwyane Wade isn't an effective player because he's also a tweener?

Quote:

who has holes in his game that can't be fixed by practice.

Like what?

**Crickets, sound of tumbleweed rolling by**

Quote:

Kobe would be brought in to replace JJ. He's a better version of JJ in ever respect. So I don't see that being a problem. He would still be coming to a team with a LOT of young talent. Far more than he has in L.A and in the east they would be a playoff lock.

The only proven players on the Hawks are JJ and Smith. Kobe would NEVER accept a deal to ATL where both are leaving.

Quote:

Personally, don't get that excited about any theoretical Kobe trades for the Hawks. I think nowadays you can win in the NBA without a superstar if you have quality depth at every position, and in a way the Hawks are moving in that direction.

If we had to lose Joe plus a couple more of our young guys, I don't know if we'd be much better off, plus Kobe wasn't happy winning 3 championships with Shaq, and now he's not happy leading in the league in scoring, so when's he gonna be happy? He can leave the Hawks in 2 years just like he can leave the Lakers, so I just don't see it.

The last 17 championships(save Detroit) have been won by these guys:

Tim Duncan

Shaq

Jordan

Hakeem

Detroit is the only team in the last 2 decades to win without a true superstar, and that 2003-2004 Pistons team had maybe the luckiest run in the history of the NBA playoffs. Realistically, all things being equal, Detroit was at most the 4th best team that year.

Quote:

The only reasonable offer I could see us making to get Kobe would be JJ, Josh Smith and a future 1st rounder. We'd ahve to SnT Josh, but I think money wise and talent wise it would work for them. I'd do it.

jj/smoove >>>>>>>> gordon/artest deal that is being talked about

also >>>>> gordon/deng deal

lakers do not have much leverage so they aren't gonna get back fair value

and jj isn't THAT much worse than kobe...yes kobe is better in basically every way, but it's not a HUGE difference...not enough to throw in smoove with jj

Quote:

I disagree on both. Smooth isn't a superstar and he's really only a star in Atlanta because of the dunk contest. He's a young player who has shown promise but a critical evaluation of him shows that he is a tweener who has holes in his game that can't be fixed by practice. I used him because he has some hype around him and that would likely allow us to SnT him for enough to get it done.

Generally athleticism and coordination can't be fixed in practice, but it's the fundamentals that JS struggles with (low post moves, shot selection, etc). That's exactly what can be improved in practice, and these are exactly the things you'd expect to be a weakness in his game considering he's the age of most NBA rookies.

He may be overrated to a degree because of the highlights, but there's no need to go overboard in the other direction.