• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Soth, any news about Woody?

Guest GHook4

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem (IMHO) is that many of us fans view the Hawks as a franchise made up of many pieces - players, coach, GM, owners, etc. However, while most of the pieces can be replaced or traded - it's not the case with owners. You can't just "get new owners". We are stuck with these guys. banghead.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

They don't. Its just a soundbite they would use to explain why they hired yet another cheap assistant coach as opposed to spending real money to hire an experienced NBA coach like Fratello.

I don't understand this at ALL. so maybe you can explain. If money is such an issue that we can't get a real coach to come in, then why are we spending ridiculous amounts of money on players like Speedy Claxton???

His 6.7 million dollar salary is as much as Adleman was making back when he was the leagues highest paid coach! Eyecrazy.gif

I don't buy that Adelman contacted the Hawks at all. First, there is a hard and fast rule among coaches that you do not contact any team unless a specific job is open. I know several coaches in college, used to know Fratello and Brian Hill, and Adelman would NEVER contact us unless a specific job within the organization was open. Period.

He would not call BK hoping that Woody might be fired. That isn't what happened. So, all who think we let Adelman get away...it's a fairy tale.

• Premium Member

I didn't want to call the man a liar. But I have to say, that I find it almost impossible to believe that any of the above is true... I just simply don't understand how it would be possible that we wouldn't go after someone like Adelmen because we don't feel we can afford him... I mean, we can afford AJ, Speedy and Lorenzen at 12 million + but not a coach?

confused.gif

You also have to know coaches and the way they think. They are, for the most part, an extremely tight fratenity. You will rarely hear another coach bad mouth one of his peers.

I remember a few years back when Larry Brown thought that Lawrence Frank has sidestepped the typical head coaching cycle and spoke out against him. Larry felt that Frank hadn't paid his dues and that NJ had skipped over some guys who had paid more dues.

Anyway, whether pro or college you never see another coach poking around a franchise while another man has the job. Again, there is ZERO chance that happened.

Whether Sothron's other stuff is true or not I withhold judgement because some on here like to feel someone has inside scoop. But most of the stuff is so general I pay no attention to it. Now, if Biedrins is traded for Smoove I may change my tune. But simply throwing out a "rumor" isn't anything I care about.

I also know several Hawks execs but I get no scoop. My guys apparently aren't the right ones.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Sothron hasn't been right on anything yet. It is called pulling it out of your azz

That is somewhat true...

I know nothing about Adelman or any offer from Golden State but Sothron was dead on about a number of things around the draft. Several things he reported here first were reported a short time later in the media.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sothron hasn't been right on anything yet. It is called pulling it out of your azz

That is somewhat true...

I know nothing about Adelman or any offer from Golden State but Sothron was dead on about a number of things around the draft. Several things he reported here first were reported a short time later in the media.

Thank you. I find it hilarious I had people from ESPN and local sports guys PMing or emailing me for information and yet on the very own board I post on (and give information away for free) I get people criticizing it. Every single facet of what I reported during the draft was verified AFTER I broke the news on various other sites and "insider" reporters.

Ah well. Bill Shanks said it best: just put it out there and let the chips fall where they may.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't buy that Adelman contacted the Hawks at all. First, there is a hard and fast rule among coaches that you do not contact any team unless a specific job is open. I know several coaches in college, used to know Fratello and Brian Hill, and Adelman would NEVER contact us unless a specific job within the organization was open. Period.

He would not call BK hoping that Woody might be fired. That isn't what happened. So, all who think we let Adelman get away...it's a fairy tale.

His AGENT contacted Woodson. His agent wanted to know if the Hawks had any interest in replacing Woodson and if Adelman should even interview for a possible vacancy. Knight informed the AGENT that due to our ownership situation it was not possible for him (Knight) to guarantee Adelman a stable front office or even a long term job. Adelman's AGENT then informed his client of this and that was the end of it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

They don't. Its just a soundbite they would use to explain why they hired yet another cheap assistant coach as opposed to spending real money to hire an experienced NBA coach like Fratello.

I don't understand this at ALL. so maybe you can explain. If money is such an issue that we can't get a real coach to come in, then why are we spending ridiculous amounts of money on players like Speedy Claxton???

His 6.7 million dollar salary is as much as Adleman was making back when he was the leagues highest paid coach! Eyecrazy.gif

Its very simple. NBA coaches want a stable front office and at least the appearance of a long term job. The Hawks do not have either one. On top of that a real NBA coach would want more money than an assistant coach who just wants their first NBA head coching job (see Mike Woodson).

Why pay them more money when you don't have to? Look at Bob Hartley for the Thrashers. The GM is still running the team. If the Hawks fired Woodson they would simply promote Drew to the job rather than paying a guy like Adelman.

I also have to note that a guy like Adelman wouldn't even COME HERE due to the conditions I already stipulated.

• Premium Member

Yeah, that part makes pretty good sense... but then my question would be, If Adelman is not interested in joining an "unstable" franchise, which is more than understandable, then why did he contact the team in the first place? Did he not do any type of research on the team before contacting them? He must have obviously known about our ownership situation since just about every major sports media source has covered the Belkin - Spirit dispute... so assuming he did, why would he have been interested to begin with?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah, that part makes pretty good sense... but then my question would be, If Adelman is not interested in joining an "unstable" franchise, which is more than understandable, then why did he contact the team in the first place? Did he not do any type of research on the team before contacting them? He must have obviously known about our ownership situation since just about every major sports media source has covered the Belkin - Spirit dispute... so assuming he did, why would he have been interested to begin with?

His agent contacted Knight. The belief around the NBA is that eventually the Spirit will win against Belkin. Adelman needed a job and he was attracted to our team because of its youth, talent and cap situation (as in its a good situation with no deals except for Claxton). He believed the Hawks could run his uptempo offense very well with the guys we have.

That is why he was interested enough to have his agent contact Knight. It never went beyond two phone calls due to Knight's inability to promise Adelman (through the agent) a stable front office or a long term job.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its very simple. NBA coaches want a stable front office and at least the appearance of a long term job. The Hawks do not have either one. On top of that a real NBA coach would want more money than an assistant coach who just wants their first NBA head coching job (see Mike Woodson).

Why pay them more money when you don't have to? Look at Bob Hartley for the Thrashers. The GM is still running the team. If the Hawks fired Woodson they would simply promote Drew to the job rather than paying a guy like Adelman.

I also have to note that a guy like Adelman wouldn't even COME HERE due to the conditions I already stipulated.

If Adelman wouldnt come here because of the conditions that you already stipulated, then why would his agent bother contacting the Hawks in the first place? Especially when the job is already filled? Is Adelman the only coach in the league not familar with our ownership situation?

Again, I don't believe for one second that a coach approached us when our job was already filled.

Finally, I will tell you that the day before the draft I was on the phone with Bernie Mullin talking about your "rumors". I have gotten to know him over the last 2 seasons...I've sat with him at a game and talked to him more than once on the phone. I asked Bernie if there were "leaks" within his franchise. He laughed and said that it wouldn't be too hard to find a leaker because BK keeps things so far under wraps and said that any Hawks employee high enough to know what was going on would never do it. Why? Because they would be terminated immediately and leaking to a message board is hardly worth one's job. Bernie said that your friend on the site is "pulling your leg I'm afraid". Now, even further, when you were "breaking news" all over the sports universe, Mullin told me that BK was behind closed doors ALL NIGHT and surfaced at around 8 AM to go the the bathroom. Bernie said that even he hadn't been updated yet and that it would happen soon. So, the Hawks President didn't know what YOU knew? BK was in war-room mentality in his office for almost 48 hours.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it...

But, you have a fan club here so just enjoy it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If Adelman wouldnt come here because of the conditions that you already stipulated, then why would his agent bother contacting the Hawks in the first place? Especially when the job is already filled? Is Adelman the only coach in the league not familar with our ownership situation?

Again, I don't believe for one second that a coach approached us when our job was already filled.

Finally, I will tell you that the day before the draft I was on the phone with Bernie Mullin talking about your "rumors". I have gotten to know him over the last 2 seasons...I've sat with him at a game and talked to him more than once on the phone. I asked Bernie if there were "leaks" within his franchise. He laughed and said that it wouldn't be too hard to find a leaker because BK keeps things so far under wraps and said that any Hawks employee high enough to know what was going on would never do it. Why? Because they would be terminated immediately and leaking to a message board is hardly worth one's job. Bernie said that your friend on the site is "pulling your leg I'm afraid". Now, even further, when you were "breaking news" all over the sports universe, Mullin told me that BK was behind closed doors ALL NIGHT and surfaced at around 8 AM to go the the bathroom. Bernie said that even he hadn't been updated yet and that it would happen soon. So, the Hawks President didn't know what YOU knew? BK was in war-room mentality in his office for almost 48 hours.

Go back to the actual day of the draft and see what I posted. You might be surprised. With all due respect I think your conclusion has clouded the actual facts of what happened. I also suggest looking at the timeline of when Sothron posted information and when it was splattered later on by other sites/reporters. Either I have telepathic powers or someone(s) in the Hawks has their own reasons to want information out there.

And if Mr. Mullin knew who they were then I am fairly certain he would know why. I am just the mouthpiece some people use for their own reasons. I'll leave it at that.

Quote:

Moderator, Can you please provide Sothron with a new screen name. That one is all wet.