• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Strange JSmoove Quote?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

"We took them for granted in the first half
and they made us bounce on it hard
," Josh Smith said after his 16-point, eight-rebound, five-assist, five-blocks and three-assist performance helped spur the Hawks' rally. "Those are the most dangerous teams, the team's with the losing records that are desperate to get a win. They played through big Al [Jefferson] early on and he got them going and it wasn't until we slowed him down that we were able to get back in the game."

I don't think I have ever heard it stated that way before?

BTW... IF the Hawks were planning to tank to make Woody Look good, they just Made Woody look like a coaching Genius who makes great adjustments at the half!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Jefferson was
owning
rookie Al Horford and the Hawks on the low block until Atlanta coach Mike Woodson started running double- and triple-teams at him in the second half. That strategy paid off, limiting Jefferson's touches and creating turnovers that helped the Hawks get back in the game.

Makes Mike Woodson look like a good coach?

JJ backed Woody up too. Not for planning an offensive game plan, but he told them what to do about neutralizing Jefferson:

""Really, it's on us as players. Because we didn't use the game plan we were given as far as taking Al Jefferson out of the game. He got them going. But in the second half we stuck to the game plan and well, 12 points in each quarter ... you can't get much better than that."

Quote:

Quote:

"We took them for granted in the first half
and they made us bounce on it hard
," Josh Smith said after his 16-point, eight-rebound, five-assist, five-blocks and three-assist performance helped spur the Hawks' rally. "Those are the most dangerous teams, the team's with the losing records that are desperate to get a win. They played through big Al [Jefferson] early on and he got them going and it wasn't until we slowed him down that we were able to get back in the game."

I don't think I have ever heard it stated that way before?

BTW... IF the Hawks were planning to tank to make Woody Look good, they just Made Woody look like a coaching Genius who makes great adjustments at the half!!

Bounce on it hard?

Hey man you said the evil henchman got overruled about those types of references.

Nevertheless, as noted in an above post, JJ backed Woody. Just a few games ago he used those same words ( the game plan is right, we have to apply it) to support the coach.

Not saying Woody is the greatest coach of all time, I just know these guys want to win despite appearances.

I think the guys realize they need to spend less time boincing on it hard and more time protecting the paint (no pun intended).

Was he describing the Hawks? "Losing team desparate for a win"? Seriously, is he thinking the Hawks are different than the T'wolves and if so, why? 23 win average over his NBA career. I think we have a big problem when one of our top 3 players seems to think that they are superior to any other team in this league. That attitude is what leads to horrific start against teams like Wizards and Wolves.

Again, I ask, has Smith ever won at a team level before? And what makes him think that he plays for a perennial playoff contender? Does he have an inkling what that requires?

Quote:

Was he describing the Hawks? "Losing team desparate for a win"? Seriously, is he thinking the Hawks are different than the T'wolves and if so, why? 23 win average over his NBA career. I think we have a big problem when one of our top 3 players seems to think that they are superior to any other team in this league. That attitude is what leads to horrific start against teams like Wizards and Wolves.

Again, I ask, has Smith ever won at a team level before? And what makes him think that he plays for a perennial playoff contender? Does he have an inkling what that requires?

Our DNA is mapped to draw imaginary "Passing Score" right below where we are at.

Quote:

Quote:

Jefferson was owning rookie Al Horford and the Hawks on the low block

LOL I don't remember Sekou talking about "owning" before.

Of course the fact that Jefferson has a reach and size advantage over Horford probably had nothing to do with it.

lol I'm sure that was directed at me, but we didn't see the game so there is no way to reach that conclusion. And Jefferson has been owning everyone because he's averaging 21 and 11 for the season. Yeah I'm sure Horford got worked, but reach had nothing to do with it.

Thanks. And you could let Woody, BK, Speedy, Marvin, JJ, Zaza, Shelden, Lue, ASG, Bernie Mullen and every other Atlanta Hawks employee, exec and owner know of ALL the comments they get on this site as well. Since when is a 59 game a season loser absolved of criticism? Especially when he makes it sound like this 59 games a season loser can just roll out the ball and beat a team in this league.

Nonsense. When did a little confidence become a bad thing?

When it results in a 20-point deficit at half-time of a game when the starters could have possibly been resting at the end of the game had they come out like professionals. When they waste my money during the Wizards game acting like they were playing George Washington University and not the DC team that has 2-3 consecutive playoff appearances. And do you remember that wonderful period last season when we stunk up the joint against several woeful teams (like the Hornets, Bobcats and Celtics)? Sure, feel confident that you CAN win but not so arrogant to think that you WILL win just by wearing new uniforms and strolling onto the floor.

Quote:

Quote:

I think we have a big problem when one of our top 3 players seems to think that they are superior to any other team in this league.

Nonsense. When did a little confidence become a bad thing?

Smoove had a quote after the Phoenix game saying they should be 4-0. If, by that, he meant had they played the way they were capable of playing, they should be 4-0. If by that he meant they played well enough to be 4-0, then he goes from a "little confident" to a little delusional.

My guess is the Hawks (as an entire team, not any one player) think they're better than teams like Minnesota, Seattle, Washington (at the time), Miami, and take these teams for granted based on their record. Then they find out that these teams can play with anyone, and the Hawks end up having to turn it on in the second half. If they weren't so "confident", and played like they were a 30-win team with something to prove (which - surprise surprise - they are), they may not find themselves having to play catch-up so often.

Quote:

I have known Smoove way before he got into the league, I don't conversate with the other guys on the team like that...

great. can you tell him to become the defensive player of the year, not take his 15% 3 pointers, take it to the hoop 90% of the time and cut down on his shots. He can get his max contract if he plays within the team and the team goes to playoff. If he shoots too much he won't get max even if he is a 20 ppg scorer. tell him to crush the board and get double digit rebounds.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jefferson was owning rookie Al Horford and the Hawks on the low block

LOL I don't remember Sekou talking about "owning" before.

Of course the fact that Jefferson has a reach and size advantage over Horford probably had nothing to do with it.

lol I'm sure that was directed at me, but we didn't see the game so there is no way to reach that conclusion. And Jefferson has been owning everyone because he's averaging 21 and 11 for the season. Yeah I'm sure Horford got worked, but reach had nothing to do with it.

Clueless as usual.

Jefferson is big and long and size matters inside no matter how much you try to deny it. It is no coincidence that the best bigs over the last 20 years, Shaq and Duncan, almost always had a size advantage over their opponents.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It is no coincidence that the best bigs over the last 20 years, Shaq and Duncan, almost always had a size advantage over their opponents.

It's very foolish to think that all is needed is a size advantage. Priest Lauterdale was plenty big and he had a size advantage over everyone. However, when you're talking about Shaq and Duncan, you're talking about the most dominant offensive post player and the most dominant fundamental player that has played the game since Hakeem.. Some of it was size but a lot of it is technique. However, go get the big man of choice. Put him on Duncan. Watch the technique come out...