• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jefferson was owning rookie Al Horford and the Hawks on the low block

LOL I don't remember Sekou talking about "owning" before.

Of course the fact that Jefferson has a reach and size advantage over Horford probably had nothing to do with it.

lol I'm sure that was directed at me, but we didn't see the game so there is no way to reach that conclusion. And Jefferson has been owning everyone because he's averaging 21 and 11 for the season. Yeah I'm sure Horford got worked, but reach had nothing to do with it.

Clueless as usual.

Jefferson is big and long and size matters inside no matter how much you try to deny it. It is no coincidence that the best bigs over the last 20 years, Shaq and Duncan, almost always had a size advantage over their opponents.

Yeah at me being clueless. "Clueless" is overemphasizing reach the way that you do. I'm not denying that his 20 lbs probably helped him against Horford, but the reach issue is essentially none, it just doesn't matter. Jefferson has a very good post game, and he is very SKILLED with his back to the basket. He is one of the only true back to the basket players left that can play the entire game that way. It's no coincidence that he's averaging 21 and 11 at the age of 21 this year.

Quote:

However, when you're talking about Shaq and Duncan, you're talking about the most dominant offensive post player and the most dominant fundamental player that has played the game since Hakeem..

Take away their size advantage and they aren't nearly the same players. Certainly their jewelry collection would be a lot smaller.

Quote:

Priest Lauterdale was plenty big and he had a size advantage over everyone.

The only reason he played a minute in the NBA was because of his size. Take away his size advantage and we never would have heard of him (ditto Diop, Prz).

Quote:

I'm not denying that his 20 lbs probably helped him against Horford, but the reach issue is essentially none,

3" is nothing only to an idiot.

If 3" is nothing then surely 4" is nothing too. After all it is only 1" difference.

And if 4" is nothing then surely 5" is nothing since again it is only an inch difference.

And so on and on.

You didn't even see the game and Jefferson only scored 2 more points than his season average. Oh and don't you want Horford playing PF? Well Jefferson started the game at PF while Madsen was at center, and Jefferson scored 10 points on 100% shooting in the first quarter. So again, why would Woody put Horford on Jefferson? You are obviously arguing against Horford at POWER FORWARD.

Skill, athleticism, instinct, weight, strength are MUCH MORE important than mere reach.

Quote:

So again, why would Woody put Horford on Jefferson? You are obviously arguing against Horford at POWER FORWARD.

It doesn't metter if Horford was playing the 4 or the 5. If Horford started at the 4 then that means Smith started at the 5. It doesn't matter since they are both undersized.

What matters is that he went up against a much bigger player who clowned him forcing the Hawks to double team. Fortunately it worked because the rest of their team is so weak.

The reason a Smith/Horford combo at the 4/5 won't work is that they are both undersized. That is why we need a center with size who can play D. We don't have any interior players big enough to match up with Jefferson, KG...etc. Even Bogut got 21/10 against us with 4 blocks.

At least Horford didn't turn it over which is certainly noteworthy. He seems to have cut out his Dancing with the Stars routine.

Quote:

Quote:

...Skill, athleticism, instinct, weight, strength are MUCH MORE important than mere reach.

Just ask Saer Sene or Patrick O'Bryant (if you can find them).

There is only one reason those two are getting a NBA paycheck. Care to guess what that reason is?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Skill, athleticism, instinct, weight, strength are MUCH MORE important than mere reach.

There is only one reason those two are getting a NBA paycheck. Care to guess what that reason is?

That is a totally different topic. What you are talking about is why do some GM's keep drafting and paying for measurements while other GM's know to pick Tony Parker, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is a totally different topic. What you are talking about is why do some GM's keep drafting and paying for measurements while other GM's know to pick Tony Parker, etc.

The reason GMs so frequently gamble on guys like Sene and OBryant is that you can't teach size and size matters.

That is why Diop and Prz got second chances even though they appeared to be busts to the teams that drafted them. I would gladly take either right now.

Quote:

Quote:

The reason a Smith/Horford combo at the 4/5 won't work is that they are both undersized. That is why we need a center with size who can play D.

Oh, by the way...DUH.

You'd be amazed how many people here didn't see that over the summer. many still don't.

Quote:

What matters is that he went up against a much bigger player who clowned him forcing the Hawks to double team. Fortunately it worked because the rest of their team is so weak.

Good post players require double teams. That's just a fact. Especially on teams where said post player is the ONLY goto offensive option. He should've never been playing Jefferson 1v1 anyway because it is KNOWN that Jefferson is very strong and very skilled in the low post.

It just seems like you root for Horford to fail, because everytime something goes wrong, you jump all over him. He's played 10 games in his NBA career and you have blasted him for every mistake that he has made. I have yet to see you do that with any other player.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is also a reason they suck.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is also a reason they suck.

You still don't get it (big surprise). If they didn't have good size they wouldn't be in the NBA.

And if they completely bomb for their current teams some other team will give them another chance because size matters.

Quote:

Good post players require double teams. That's just a fact.

Not according to Denver (see last years playoffs vs SAS).

And i don't remember the Hawks doubling KG last year.

Quote:

It just seems like you root for Horford to fail, because everytime something goes wrong, you jump all over him.

I gave him credit for playing good D on Duncan when they matched up a few times and you still gave me crap about it. So who is the one with the agenda?

Quote:

I have yet to see you do that with any other player.

He got outscored 23-6. He got outrebounded 16-7.

There was so much hype on here about Horford over the summer it was ridiculous. That type of hype just invites criticism. Do you really want me to start pulling posts?

So far he has shown that he is a good rebounder and a decent help defender. Other than that he hasn't shown much considering how much hype he got. Nobody else on the roster was getting nearly as much preseason hype as Horford.

Quote:

You still don't get it (big surprise). If they didn't have good size they wouldn't be in the NBA.

Actually you still don't get it. There are a ton of 7 footers in the NBA and there is a REASON that only a select few of them are elite players.

Quote:

And if they completely bomb for their current teams some other team will give them another chance because size matters.

I know that size matters. I'm simply talking about one aspect of size that you largely over emphasize, reach.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not denying that his 20 lbs probably helped him against Horford, but the reach issue is essentially none,

3" is nothing only to an idiot.

If 3" is nothing then surely 4" is nothing too. After all it is only 1" difference.

And if 4" is nothing then surely 5" is nothing since again it is only an inch difference.

And so on and on.

horrid argument

Quote:

Not according to Denver (see last years playoffs vs SAS).

Tim Duncan is double teamed by 95% of teams they play, that's a really bad example. It's also easier to single cover Duncan when you have perhaps the best help defender in the NBA (Camby) playing at center.

Quote:

I gave him credit for playing good D on Duncan when they matched up a few times and you still gave me crap about it. So who is the one with the agenda?

I actually just made a small jab at the comment, and you blew up.

Quote:

He got outscored 23-6. He got outrebounded 16-7.

There was so much hype on here about Horford over the summer it was ridiculous. That type of hype just invites criticism.

Dude he's a rookie! Of course he's going to have ups and downs, of course he isn't going to come into the league destroying people. It's VERY uncommon for that to happen. He's shooting 50% and almost averaging a double double (and 1.4 blocks) and I see you bash him a LOT. Honestly, what did you expect of Horford? Since he's not living up to expectations in YOUR opinion in his first 10 games of his NBA career, what did you expect? 20/10 from the get go? To me, it's still obvious that he has a ton of potential to be a very good player.

Quote:

Nobody else on the roster was getting nearly as much preseason hype as Horford.

Because he was a new addition to the team, and was a top 3 pick. Top 3 picks tend to get hype, you know?

• Premium Member

Ex you have to let this one go. All the big men that you mention all are good scorers against everyone not just Horford. If Jefferson is averaging 21 ppg against the league, he should be double teamed. Jefferson's M.O. is that is is a poor passer out of double teams so it make sense to do so. If you are trying to make the case that Horford is a poor defender because his performance against Jefferson, then you are being very unfair and biased.