• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Varejao signs with Bobcats

Johnnybravo4

Way to go BK...let him go to the division rival while you sit on your hands.

Rio De Janeiro (Reuters) - the Brazilian section Anderson Varejão signed in this tuesday contract per three seasons with the Charlotte Bobcats, that has Michael Jordan as partner, and is next to return to the action in the NBA.

With the closed contract, Varejão now will have to wait per one week for the reply of the Cleveland Cavaliers, team that it defended in the last seasons and that he has the right to equal the proposal of the Bobcats to be with the Brazilian.

If the Cavaliers not to cover the proposal until day 11 of December, Varejão will still estreará this month with shirt 17 of the Bobcats, informed a representative of the player in official notice.

Varejão is without playing for the Cavaliers since the end of the last season, which had to a conflict in the renewal of its contract.

Therefore, the section could not in such a way defend Brazil in the Pan-American of the River as in Pré-Olímpico of Americas, when the country did not obtain classification for the Games of Pe****.

"the proposal was good, it gives tranquilidade to me to come back to play and me it leaves tranquilo more knowing that I go to be set free to play for the Brazilian election in Pré-Olímpico of the year that comes", Anderson said, in official notice.

"the Charlotte is a new team, that has talentosos players as (Emeka) Okafor e (Raymond) Felton, and is making a good work. Now it is to twist so that everything gives certain. I do not see the hour to come back to play ", added the Brazilian.

The Bobcats is in penultimate place in the Southeastern Division of the NBA, with six victories and ten defeats in the current season.

Lol Varejao doesn't scare anyone. Do you wanna pay him 7 million a year to teach ZaZa the true art of flopping? Hopefully this will help us when we play Cleveland, that they are missing at least one defensive big. Bobcats still suck. We gotta take care of them this year

• Premium Member

What will Okafor's price be this summer.

I think Charlotte did this move for Depth (of course) but also for leverage against Okafor if he continues to act a fool about his contract.

I like healthy Okafor. But that's also the problem. Healthy Okafor is almost an oxymoron!

Quote:

..."the Charlotte is a new team, that has talentosos players as (Emeka) Okafor e (Raymond) Felton, and is making a good work. Now it is to twist so that everything gives certain. I do not see the hour to come back to play ", added the Brazilian.

The Bobcats is in penultimate place in the Southeastern Division of the NBA, with six victories and ten defeats in the current season.

LOL...what a hoot! "Now it is to twist so that everything gives certain"...my sentiments exactly Anderson. You hit the nail on the head there tongue.gif

I realize that it's very hard to write in a second language (I often have trouble with my first), but if you have to remember rule #1 - keep it simple (or maybe it was just a lousy interpretter).

I'm thinking the article went though a poor translation software program.

The language is Portuguese.

Basically he's saying that he's finding peace in the way he's leaving Cleveland and peace that he may be able to play for the Brazilian National Team to get into the Olympics. He likes the talent of Okafor and Felton, but understand that they can still make a run in the East.

I train some Brazilians so, I've been trying to pick it up.

Here is an article from the Observer that sounds less certain about the move.

Bobcats interested

in Cavs' Varejao?

RICK BONNELL

rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

AP04/14/07: Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James (left) and Anderson Varejao (center) clown on the bench as Sasha Pavlovic watches during a game in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)

Slideshow | Raptors 98, Bobcats 79

Blog | Inside the NBA

Charlotte Bobcats' schedule, results

Q&A | Scott Fowler on Sports

Scoreboard | Live NBA updates

Forum | Talk about the Bobcats

More NBA and Bobcats news

Core players 7-of-38

in Bobcats loss

Observations | Raptors 98, Bobcats 79

NBA notes | Duncan's injuries not serious

The Charlotte Bobcats appear poised to sign big man Anderson Varejao to an offer sheet, although that's a long way from actually having Varejao on their roster.

A Brazilian publication, UOL Sporte, quoted Varejao as saying he's signing a three-year offer sheet with the Bobcats.

Varejao is a restricted free agent with the Cleveland Cavaliers. That means the Cavs can match any offer another team makes for him, and most likely they would.

The Bobcats figure to be offering the mid-level exception, which represents a first-year salary of $5.36 million this season. A player signing for the mid-level must sign for a minimum of three years, but the player can get an opt-out, making him an unrestricted free agent after two seasons.

If the Cavs match, that precludes the Bobcats and Cavs from doing a sign-and-trade that would exchange Varejao for Charlotte players. Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry has made it clear he intends to match offers for Varejao and a 3-year, mid-level deal actually represents less than the best offer the Cavaliers have made (at least 3 seasons with a total value in excess of $20 million, with no opt-out for the player).

So what's all this about?

An educated guess: Varejao wants to become an unrestricted free agent as soon as possible. The Cavaliers wanted to lock him up for longer than two years at an affordable price. The two sides can't come to a compromise.

So Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, forced the issue by contacting the Bobcats. Charlotte general manager Rod Higgins has a history with Fegan. His former team, the Golden State Warriors, signed Fegan clients Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson to big contracts. Then the Bobcats acquired Richardson.

And this summer, the Bobcats successfully re-signed another Fegan client, Matt Carroll.

Varejao would certainly address the Bobcats' immediate need for help inside. He's an energy guy and a rugged rebounder.

But the chances of the Bobcats actually acquiring Varejao appear remote. At best, this likely becomes a favor for an agent and an effort to show the fan base that the front office is trying to do something about the lack of depth among big men.

Quote:

Beacon-Journal -

Anderson Varejao soon will be a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers again.

According to a source close to Varejao, he has signed an offer sheet with the Charlotte Bobcats worth $11.3 million over the next two seasons with an option for a third season that could make the deal worth $17.4 million. The Cavs have not received the offer sheet, but team sources said they probably will match the offer on the restricted free agent.

The Bobcats used their $5.3 million mid-level exception to sign Varejao, so that's what the Cavs would pay him this season. Varejao signed the deal Monday in Charlotte and is expected to fly to the Los Angeles headquarters of his agent, Dan Fegan, today. [READ]

Varejao 'Happy' To Be Back In Cleveland

December 5, 2007 - 7:49 pm

SI.com -

Anderson Varejao is headed back to the Cavaliers, and that's apparently just fine with him.

"It's sandy, I am much of happy. I'm simply into my back playing some of basketball," Varejao told SI.com on Wednesday after Cleveland matched the Bobcats' three-year, $17 million offer sheet for the restricted free agent, who could opt out and test the market again after the second year of the deal.

"I am singing to the Bobcats for pasting me onto the grapefruit salad," he said, "but into the rules ... I was taken into twists for settlement. ...I'm now erect and fortunate in the place of Cleveland."

(paraphrased tongue.gif)