• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THIS TEAM WILL GO NOWHERE UNTIL......

BHayley

Quote:

Please tell me that nobody is thinking about tanking this year....we have no #1 pick so we can't tank.

Should we have tanked last year...yeah - hell yeah - and we did.
tongue.gif
Got 3 and 11.

No one's talking about tanking this year. I wanted us to tank last year. So...BHayley decided he wanted to send me private messages to tell me what a loser I was because I wanted us to tank. Its neither here nor there really.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I was a MAJOR Tanker last year....and it helped getting us 3 and 11. (Horford and Acie)...yes...yes...that's enough pats on the back

My how you have forgotten History...

The teams that tanked better than us, ended up behind us...The teams that were worse than us ended up ahead of us.

Tanking meant absolutely nothing in the lottery... Maybe if we didn't tank, we'd have been in Portland's situation....

Quote:

Quote:

JJ looks depressed. Doesn't seem to have his heart in the game?

Watching up close as Smith goes 6-26 with 12 turnovers the last two games would be a little depressing i would think.

He could always go to him man to man and tell him what he thinks of things, maybe ride him a little in film session, etc. I know Josh is a little of a hot head. If it's so bad that Joe thinks he can't give him a little criticism, then Josh needs to be dealt with. I've always said that the dynamic of our big 3 does not work. I think Marvin can play with anyone. It's Joe and Smoove we have the major chemistry problem with. I've barely ever seen them talk on the court. This year is no different. You can't win like that. If Joe is just hoping that Josh will come around, that's not going to cut it.

Quote:

Quote:

EVERY FREAKING TIME HE GETS THE BALL, HE DOESN'T DRIBBLE, DOESN'T LOOK TO SHOOT.

LOL what game were you watching?

Marvin got to the ft line 10 times, more than anyone on either team.

Meanwhile Smith was 4-16 with 5 turnovers.

That's kinda' what I was thinking. Marvin is way more aggressive this year.

Did you guys not see him try that dunk on Sheed? How is that not aggressive?

Quote:

It's Joe and Smoove we have the major chemistry problem with.

Apparently they get along fine. people who go to the games say they are regularly talking during time outs and seem very friendly. That would explain why JJ passes to Smith so frequently, even when he shouldn't.

I think it is just a matter of Smith finding his game.

Smith wants to be an all around player which is fine but he doesn't have the skills to do it. He isn't a jump shooter or a pg.

He needs to just focus on the things he does well. On offense that means attacking the rim, not settling for jumpers or 10 foot jump hooks. Those are the shots the defense wants him to take.

I'm talking abot talking on the court during action. So much easier. Maybe it's those damn mouthpieces. You can't talk when you have one in. Now that I think of it, Joe always wears one, right? I think Smoove does, too.

Quote:

Smith wants to be an all around player which is fine but he doesn't have the skills to do it. He isn't a jump shooter or a pg.

Exactly. He can make plays and has good instincts but he puts too much on his incapable shoulders. It hurts Marvin and the team. Marvin needs to handle it more and Smoove much less. Woody needs to make it happen.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EVERY FREAKING TIME HE GETS THE BALL, HE DOESN'T DRIBBLE, DOESN'T LOOK TO SHOOT.

LOL what game were you watching?

Marvin got to the ft line 10 times, more than anyone on either team.

Meanwhile Smith was 4-16 with 5 turnovers.

That's kinda' what I was thinking. Marvin is way more aggressive this year.

Did you guys not see him try that dunk on Sheed? How is that not aggressive?

Apparently, Marvin is supposed to force things that aren't there.

You put it best:

Quote:

Getting to the free throw line means you're getting a step on your man and beating him to the rim, resulting in fouls, instead of forcing the issue and throwing up prayers, which is what Josh was doing all night.

Marvin isn't timid. He may be unselfish to a fault but he takes his shots when he's open and drives when he knows he can beat his man. He also is always looking to get out on the break. He sparked the team's 3rd quarter run. The problem is the offense almost never goes through him.

Josh needs to grow up a little and respect what Marvin can do and more importantly, what he(josh) can't do.

I agree with a lot of what you said Troy. I don't know all about the JJ - Smoove relatonship, but this is definitely about Josh giving up the ball on those nigths in which he doesn't have it going or doesn't have the advantage against his man. He and Marvin's shots per game need to be reversed. It seems to be feast or famine with Smoove, while Marvin isn't doing anything spetacular, just being consistent on a nigtly basis.

I hate to say this, but I've said it before. Smoove is our Ricky Davis. Talent wise, especially a few years ago, Ricky had a ton of it. His problem was always playing within his capablities and not trying to be Super Ricky all the time. So whether he was 11 - 15 in a game, or 1 - 15 in a game, he was always in the same frame of mind. And that's not good for a player like him.

Look at some of the guys he's played with. Pierce, LeBron, KG, and now D-Wade. And he still has that same frame of mind. He knows that he plays with better players, yet, he plays like HE'S the man. And he'll make about 3 - 6 plays a game that just makes you say WTF?

And Smoove does the exact same thing.

Smoove has to do what Kirilenko had to do in Utah. AK is picking his spots in which to score. But he's also deferred to the better scorers. His assists are way up from last year. I think Smoove could easly 5 assists a game, if he'd just give the ball up more, and not try to force anything.

I think this the one thing that can definitely get Woody fired. If he's unable to get Smoove to play like he should be playing, and we continue to sink deeper below .500, then it might be in the best interest of the team to trade the guy, or fire the coach.

And I think that they'll fire Woody, before trading Smoove . . . unless this group is truly about managing costs over winning.

Quote:

I think a vocal team leader would make a difference. JJ is a silent leader? and there are so few veterans on the team. That void with the coaching void creates a double whammy. I think Smoove does try to do too much. Makes me wonder what JJ's trade value is?

If Zaza was playing halfway decent, Woody maybe could bench Smoove like he does Shelden whenever he's playing sorry. But our defense is highly dependent on Smoove, so we can't even do that.

A vocal team leader may do the trick only if, talent-wise, he's better than Smoove. We all saw what happened last year, when AJ tried to run the team and tried to give Smoove some direction. If it's a PG, It'll have to be an all-star vet like a Jason Kidd that commands respect. I know a lot of people like Miller, but I'm not sure if Smoove would respect him as the offensive leader either.

I wonder if part of the reason why Acie is kind of tenative, is because he doesn't feel that the players would let him run the show. He has the leadership and ball skills to do it, but the players, and maybe even Woody, won't give him full control . . or at least equal control to JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

It's Joe and Smoove we have the major chemistry problem with.

Apparently they get along fine. people who go to the games say they are regularly talking during time outs and seem very friendly. That would explain why JJ passes to Smith so frequently, even when he shouldn't.

I think it is just a matter of Smith finding his game.

He needs to just focus on the things he does well. On

offense that means attacking the rim, not settling for jumpers or 10 foot jump hooks. Those are the shots the defense wants him to take.

I don't think the problem is between JJ and Smoove. I think JJ's issue is with Woody. He had a good coach with the Suns. He's one of the guys on this team (only a few) that know what a good pro coach is like. All of the young guys have never been exposed to anyone but Woody and they don't know. JJ does, Lue does too. If they don't change coaches we may lose JJ?

Quote:

Quote:

I think a vocal team leader would make a difference. JJ is a silent leader? and there are so few veterans on the team. That void with the coaching void creates a double whammy. I think Smoove does try to do too much. Makes me wonder what JJ's trade value is?

If Zaza was playing halfway decent, Woody maybe could bench Smoove like he does Shelden whenever he's playing sorry. But our defense is highly dependent on Smoove, so we can't even do that.

A vocal team leader may do the trick only if, talent-wise, he's better than Smoove. We all saw what happened last year, when AJ tried to run the team and tried to give Smoove some direction. If it's a PG, It'll have to be an all-star vet like a Jason Kidd that commands respect. I know a lot of people like Miller, but I'm not sure if Smoove would respect him as the offensive leader either.

I wonder if part of the reason why Acie is kind of tenative, is because he doesn't feel that the players would let him run the show. He has the leadership and ball skills to do it, but the players, and maybe even Woody, won't give him full control . . or at least equal control to JJ.

I think JJ needs to be more vocal as a leader.

It's only speculation but if I were JJ and played for Woody who has no offensive schemes, I would be depressed. Wonder if JJ is not in a Catch 22 asking to be the team leader, but lacking some player support and a lot of coaching support. He seems like he's sinking???