• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Currently 7th in the East

TroyMcClure

With the Cavs and Nets a half game behind. The Cavs will most definitely improve record wise. The Nets certainly have the ability. The Heat are way down there, but only 4 wins behind us. If Shaq ever comes to any kind of his former self, they will be tough. It's going to be tight against these veteran teams for the last few spots if things stay the same. That's why every win for us is crucial. We've got an ugly stretch coming but in the middle of January there are some very winnable chunks of games.

Do we REALLY need one of these "Hawks are currently in Xth in the East, OMFGZ!" every week? This would be a lot more relevant once 2/3 of the season is over. Until then, with so few games played, there will be a copious amount of flip flopping up and down the standings. Hell, we were in 1st place at points last year...

Just saying.

But anyway, we are hovering around .500 right now. Let's beat Charlotte today and we have a chance to go far.

Do we REALLY need one of these "Hawks are currently in Xth in the East, OMFGZ!" every week? This would be a lot more relevant once 2/3 of the season is over. Hell, we were in 1st place at points last year...

Just saying.

But anyway, we are hovering around .500 right now. Let's beat Charlotte today and we have a chance to go far.

I can't believe someone's mad about this kind of thread. 28% of the season is complete and we're right in the mix without being healthy or playing our best ball. As someone else mentioned in another thread last night was the first game in a long time that our "All Star" looked like himself. And yet we're almost at .500 in 7th place in the conference.

This thread should survive all season in my opinion - it's the most CRITICAL issue the team faces for crying out loud!

Assuming the top three remain as they are now, an 8th or 7th seed would be neat, but we'd just be chum for the Celts or Pistons to devour in the first round.

A 6th seed against the Magic would be much different. We have more familiarity and confidence against the Magic, and we have some semblance of a "rivalry" with them. We'd at least seem to have a chance against them.

A 5th or 4th seed (ridiculous I know) would mean all bets are off. We'd really be thinking second round - nahhh, not possible, right?

Quote:

A 5th or 4th seed (ridiculous I know) would mean all bets are off. We'd really be thinking second round - nahhh, not possible, right?

A 4th or 5th seed is really not THAT rediculous. We are currently 7th and only 2 games back from being in 4th. Two of the teams ahead of us are Washington and Indiana. I don't expect either one to make the playoffs, because Washington is without Arenas for a while, and Indiana is just playing out of their minds (it won't continue the entire season). They will both fall IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

A 4th or 5th seed is really not THAT rediculous. We are currently 7th and only 2 games back from being in 4th. Two of the teams ahead of us are Washington and Indiana. I don't expect either one to make the playoffs, because Washington is without Arenas for a while, and Indiana is just playing out of their minds (it won't continue the entire season). They will both fall IMO.

Indiana is one of those teams with a .750+ winning percentage in preseason, so they will continue to be around .500 if they're relatively healthy (according to history). I don't know about Washington though, but they're 3 games above .500 so it'll takes a hard schedule for them to fall.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Indiana is one of those teams with a .750+ winning percentage in preseason, so they will continue to be around .500 if they're relatively healthy (according to history). I don't know about Washington though, but they're 3 games above .500 so it'll takes a hard schedule for them to fall.

Washington doesn't have Arenas, I can't see them keeping their pace without him. They will have to prove me wrong.

And I'm not worried about Indiana's preseason record, they just aren't very good. Jermaine or Tinsley will probably get hurt just like every other year. Somehow Dunleavy and Tinsley are playing out of their minds, there's no way in hell that will continue.

Quote:

I can't believe someone's mad about this kind of thread. 28% of the season is complete and we're right in the mix without being healthy or playing our best ball. As someone else mentioned in another thread last night was the first game in a long time that our "All Star" looked like himself. And yet we're almost at .500 in 7th place in the conference.

This thread should survive all season in my opinion - it's the most CRITICAL issue the team faces for crying out loud!

LOL! That person was me. Obviously you just read the part about my thinking a thread like this is not all that relevant and failed to read the part that explained how ridiculous it is to really take the current standings and positioning with more than a grain of salt. Typical...typical. As I stated, this would be much more relevant when about 2/3 or so (at the very least 50%) of the season is over. There will be endless flip-flopping between now and then with so few games played. Let's wait a few more games when teams start separating themselves from the pack. I have seen a thread like this every friggin week...ridiculous.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! That person was me. Obviously you just read the part about my thinking a thread like this is not all that relevant and failed to read the part that explained how ridiculous it is to really take the current standings and positioning with more than a grain of salt. Typical...typical. As I stated, this would be much more relevant when about 2/3 or so (at the very least 50%) of the season is over. There will be endless flip-flopping between now and then with so few games played. Let's wait a few more games when teams start separating themselves from the pack. I have seen a thread like this every friggin week...ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that you are questioning and judging my motives for the post. You obviously don't know me. For me to even talk about our team in such a positive light is a very rare thing.

As for the flip flopping... what are you talking about? We have only flopped in the last decade. This may be the flip, though.

Furthermore, this is certainly something our players should pay attention to. We have had a losing mentality for so long, to actually see it manifested in the record is encouraging.

Quote:

this would be much more relevant when about 2/3 or so (at the very least 50%) of the season is over.

Games are no more relevant later than now. The point is to accumulate wins. Especially when the discussion is centered around making the playoffs and nothing else. Do you really think we're gonna' be talking about a certain seed hurting our run in the playoffs anytime soon? At this stage of the Hawks, the only concern is getting there. Relevance. lol! We're the Hawks, man!

Quote:

Quote:

Should we just ignore the standings until the last day of the season then, as things can change drastically from 2/3 through until the last day?

What fun would being a fan be if you jut ignored how the team stacked up as the season went along?

28% of the season is a significant chunk, it doesn't mean we have any idea how we'll end up, but it is important to know where we're at right now, and what we need to do to get into the playoffs.

You don't give a damn about the standings right now? Ignore the f-ing thread!

Why shouldn't we be excited???

Why isn't it revelant - RIGHT NOW??

If we, as Hawk fans, have a goal for our beloved team - -

making it into the playoffs - - You must have a plan for

getting there.

We have such a goal. We have such a plan.

Having a .500 or better record. Get into the top eight

in order to make the playoffs.

Hawks are one game under the .500 mark, but are 7th,

in the playoff standings. You can't wait until much

of the season is over, then try to reach your goal.

We're reading the roadmap. We're far from the end of

the journey. But, isn't it nice to know that we're

on the right road and headed in the right direction!

bannana_guitar.gif

Troy, you mentioned someting about January. People better look at our schedule starting mid-January. We have 2 major road trips in January and February that could completely wipe us off the map, if we can't win at least 40% of those games.

Right now though, we have a lot of home games between now and then. We probably need to make our move now, before we hit those road games. So the games right now are definitely important. Every home game we lose, we need to steal back on the road. I seriously doubt that this team can go .500 on the road.

Every home game in these next 4 - 5 weeks, are of the utmost importance to this season.