• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wow...We have a DAMN good defense...

DavidSomerset

Particularly considering the age of our team...

I realize we are a very average 17th in the league in opposing FG%, but we are 6th in the league in ppg given up...And we're also 6th in the league in "points per shot", which is a pretty interesting statistic.

Here's the list.

Points Per Shot Stats

I am very surprised Woody has got this team playing such great defense when we are so young.

Kudos to the coaches.

• Premium Member

I would say that there are a few ways to read those...

1. Defensive PPG... I think that may be somewhat attributable to PACE... I've noticed over the last few games that when they are not doing the run out, our sometimy offense uses up all the 24 second clock... However, I do think we do play some good defense.

2. pps. I think this and our 3 pt defense is suspect. They go hand and hand... BUT... I don't think we really play a special brand of three point defense. I see teams that play us...they rarely concentrate on shooting threes. Some of that is due to the fact that we leave such great openings for a team to score on a two pointer. Teams can still swing the ball and get an open look. PGs can still waltz down the lane and get a score. However, there is some good in Woody's scheme. It doesn't allow the midrange shot very easily. Moreover, when there's a good big down low, it takes away the baseline.

• Premium Member

Diesel is right that pace plays a role. Here are the latest (prior to Charlotte game) ratings adjusted for pace:

Offense (23rd overall)

Shooting - 29th

Turnovers - 16th

Rebounding - 11th

Free throws - 8th

Defense (8th overall)

Shooting - 8th

Turnovers - 8th

Rebounding - 25th

Free throws - 8th

8th overall defense is a HUGE improvement, and the main reason the Hawks are viable in the early playoff race.

i love it when we play TIGHT DEFENSE, teammates come to double team an opponent w/ the ball... and then the opposing player w/ the ball would throw it away or make a careless pass which is intercepted by one of our players... which then leads to a fast break!

ive seen this sequence happen a good bit this season compared to the past few seasons.

i dont see why we dont do it more often. play TIGHT D every minute of the game.

In the NBA, many players/teams (and i mean MANY) pace themselves and save their energy for the 4th quarter. I say lets SCREW this mentality, use some our bench and play tight Defense 12 minutes every quarter. if we do that, we can catch some teams sleeping in the 3rd quarter.

Quote:

That actually really surprises me.

What is even more surprising is that, as bad as our three point shooting has been, our opponents are only making 1.2 more three pointers per game than we are while shooting only 10% better.

We are also playing good D without a lot of fouling. On the season we have had 100 more ft attempts than our opponents.