• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DO NOT PRAISE MARVIN ON THIS THREAD

thesheedera

I repeat: DO NOT PRAISE MARVIN ON THIS THREAD

Okay, with that out of the way...two things I was thinking about tonight:

1) Marvin's work ethic and conditioning were called into question by a lot of NBA fans that weren't too familiar with him as a college player due to the reports that he was winded during a pre draft workout or two. Those concerns continued as a rookie as he adjusted to the longer schedule, longer game times and more physical game. Then his offseason was called into question based on a few lines from a single interview he gave coming into the season.

-- Little by little he's been racking up the minutes and those concerns seem pretty silly now. While I wouldn't dare argue that he "took over" this game tonight, he played 50/53 minutes 2 nights after playing 48/48, and 4 nights after playing 45/48...and his production was balanced smoothly over the entire course of the game.

I'll be the first to admit that he looked too cautious on some late game possessions that ended badly and hurt the team, but I felt that he made up for them with some big scores and plays later in the game. Hopefully this continues to build his confidence as a go-to option and he will hesitate less and less as the games continue. We missed Smith late in this one.

But most pleasing to me (other than AJ's play and the W) was seeing this "jumpshooter" mintain his legs at the end of a highly contested game making plays and knocking down shots while playing iron man like minutes.

2) Two other big knocks on Marvin as a young NBA player were his intensity and consistency.

In neither category is he perfect by any means now and while he's definitely more aggressive in general, he certainly needs to be MORE CONSISTENTLY INTENSE going forward.

One thing he's been in spades though is a consistent, dependable producer. He's been so consistent that some of his critics are now saying that consistency is one of his faults. I feel like last year 80% of Marvin related comments on Hawksquawk contained complaints about his inconsistency. That feels like eons ago.

No, he doesn't take over games for long stretches, but he chips in evenly throughout the game and that consistency is something the Hawks are really benefitting from as they rise out of the dungeons of horrible basketball.

Hopefully nothing up there was too inflamatory. Just to be sure I'll add some important disclaimers:

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A BLOCK PARTY FOR MARVIN FOR THESE REASONS STATED ABOVE

I'M PROBABLY EXPRESSING "RELIEF" MORESO THAN I'M OFFERING "PRAISE" AS THIS IS THE PLAYER I EXPECTED MARVIN TO BECOME THIS EARLY IN HIS CAREER, AND THIS IS THE KIND OF GAME WE SHOULD DEMAND FROM HIM AS A PLAYER, AND HE STILL NEEDS TO IMPROVE A LOT

I DON'T THINK HE'S OUR BEST PLAYER, I DON'T THINK HE WAS OUR BEST PLAYER TONIGHT, I DON'T THINK HE'S A SUPERSTAR OR AN ALL STAR, AND I DON'T THINK HE'LL EVER BE THE GREATEST HAWK OF ALL TIME

Great win, another one we almost let slip away that surely would have been a "L" in seasons past. Learning to win the tight ones is invaluable for this young team.

AJ and JJ were spectacular tonight.

Another post by a sackrider. Anybody could score 26 points in 50 minutes! And D-Wade torched him and Wade has lost a step. Tay Prince would have shut Wade down.

Look, I'm not saying Marvin's bad but he's common. He is what he is...and he is a big mistake. Chris Paul, who even I knew would be a great player eats Marvins lunch. Every time I see CP3 tearing up the league I think of common Marvin...and it makes me sick.

What do you say about that Sheebag?

i was just commenting on some of the needlessly critical posters on the board. if you like a player... cool... that's what being a fan is about. to cheer for a guy to get better - that's what everyone hopes for. to be able to enjoy the process unfold in front of your eyes... even better.

to call someone out for enjoying that process is weak. i just get tired of some of the negative, critical attitutdes on this board. some people need to seriously grow up - either that or find another board to post on...

flava

Quote:

i was just commenting on some of the needlessly critical posters on the board. if you like a player... cool... that's what being a fan is about. to cheer for a guy to get better - that's what everyone hopes for. to be able to enjoy the process unfold in front of your eyes... even better.

to call someone out for enjoying that process is weak. i just get tired of some of the negative, critical attitutdes on this board. some people need to seriously grow up - either that or find another board to post on...

flava

Well then we're on the same page.

I think all of our sarcasm is beginning to really confuse matters around here.

• Premium Member

You guys are really succeeding in doing the very thing that you say you're against? You say you want to end negativity on this board and then You post this thread? And worse you propagate this thread (Flava)... That tells me that you don't want to end negativity at all... You know yesterday, I approached you (Sheedera) as a man... and today, you show once again that you're nothing but a pissy butt boy!

Quote:

Yesterday was the day for a clean start. Today, while being the subject of ridicule by those who I thought I had a "truce " with... Well, you get what you get!

Thanks for the continuous instigation though Teke.

Clearly you don't need any insigation to start in with the personal insults.

i doubt anyone here forced you to start your "Then Never of these people" thread yesterday. Was that your idea of a "truce"?

(this is not directed specifically at diesel)

what the hell is going on on this board....are we actually bashing Marvin? i will repeat ONCE AGAIN why this needs to be dropped.

Judging Marvins skills or possibilities for the future NEED TO BE COMPLETELY SEPERATED FROM THE DRAFT ORDER ARGUMENTS. Because Paul and Williams are playing like #1 and #2 picks of the draft does NOT mean that Marvin will not eventually play like a #2 pick in the draft. He is already on his way there.

The draft is over, we got Marvin. Paul ended up great as did Deron. But just because they ended up great EARLIER and at a position that we needed, does not mean that Marvin does not end up great and worthy of a #2 pick in general.

Basically to me it looks like it was a bad pick because positions we needed could have been there. But not bad because Marvin Williams is not worthy of a #2 pick. REMEMBER, EVERY HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET SAID IT WOULD TAKE 3 YEARS TO SEE HIM DEVELOP AND 80% OF THE PLANET SAID MARVIN SHOULD BE SELECTED AT #2...and it's happening, Marvin is developing in his 3rd year..........

and to be honest, if he continues to put up numbers like he did last night, whats to say he's not already as good as those guys? just because he's not a point guard? should we make him play point to satisfy people?...hell, because of that failed pick we got horford and a future good point in law......

leave the boy alone, Marvin is developing and becoming the star people envisioned.

and i keep hearing people saying he'll be solid but not develop into a allstar...i don't understand that...if he puts the same numbers up on a playoff team that some other allstar does, what makes him NOT an allstar? remember the pistons had like 4 allstars one year

our fans think like losers, not like winners...meaning whatever we've done is bad and no way anything we've done can be good and correct. why can't we be happy that we got Marvin AND Horford AND Law?

Marvin's last 5 games he is averaging 20.5 ppg, with 7 rpg.

By any measure that is very good basketball. Marvin has missed scoring on double figures only ONE TIME all year!!!

He has been extremely consistent in a year thats been up and down with Smoove and JJ. The Hawks are 6-1 without Childress and I will tell you that if Marvin was out they would not be that good. Marvin is a CRITICAL piece to the puzzle now. Thats why Woodhead leaves him in almost all game...because the team is much better when he is in there.

Marvin WILL be an ALL STAR! Mark it down...the kid is developing a nice all around game...he attacks the rim and has a great jumper. I want to see a little more post game but...he has developed a nice turn and face game.

Only a fool doesn't like his game. Forget Paul. We can't get him and Marvin will be a great player in his own right.

Am I a Marvin Nuthugger? Damn right and proud to be one. The kid can play and he's got class as a person.