• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atl/SEA... A deal that made me say Hmm?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Premise: Seattle is going nowhere this year and Atlanta isn't going far.

The offer:

Seattle sends

Earl Watson PG (2 yr 12.8M left on deal)

Johan Petro C (1 yr 1.9M left on deal)

a 2nd rounder (Seattle has several coming in)

to Atlanta

for

Ty Lue PG (expiring deal)

Lo Wright C (expiring deal)

The logic:

Seattle could use a little cap relief in rebuilding. Specifically, they are paying 2 PGs over 6M per with 2 more years on both of their deals. Delonte West is becoming a free agent at the end of the year, so if they decide to keep him that would be 3 PGs eating up cap room. Depending on how the draft lottery goes Seattle will be in a position to add a C, PF, or PG to their roster.

This deal clears 8.1M off of next years cap for Seattle without trying to stick them with a bad contract or steal any of their other assets (like Kurt Thomas who I'd love to acquire but realize that as an expiring deal they have little incentive to move him). Lue and Wright just expire at the end of the year, but in the mean time provide 2 veteran guys who are known as great locker room guys to hang around the youth on the Sonics roster.

For Atlanta, they get another PG with good D and some 3 pt range. Petro gives height off the bench for about 12 minutes a night which is something the Hawks are little short on. The 2nd rounder is a good faith gesture since the Hawks are taking on so much salary next season they could use the 2nd round pick (most likely the one from Houston) to fill a roster spot with a minimum salary player.

It isn't a blockbuster for the Hawks, but they aren't giving up any of their key assets either. The solidification of the PG position should be enough to get the Hawks into the playoffs in a weak Eastern Conference. The Hawks are sacrificing flexibility in free agency, but it was never certain that they could do anything with extra cap room anyway. Also, it is important to give the young Hawks players a taste of the playoffs before they become too jaded.

Saw this proposed trade. I thought it was (at least) interesting...

The other benefit is that it takes Lue out of Woody's rotation.

Statistically Watson is very comparable with what AJ is doing this year, a little better in some and a little worse in others. It was painfully obvious last night when AJ went out in the first quarter and the only points we scored the rest of the quarter were on the shot where Lue probably didn't even beat the buzzer that we need another AJ and Watson would fill that role nicely. He's far from a superstar and he is definitely overpaid, but without a 2nd veteran PG we aren't going anywhere this year and while Lue is a good shooter he isn't a very good PG and we have to stop letting our forwards handle the ball so much, particularly when AJ isn't in the game.

Petro is useless and I would hope that he wouldn't get minutes from Solo.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Statistically Watson is very comparable with what AJ is doing this year, a little better in some and a little worse in others. It was painfully obvious last night when AJ went out in the first quarter and the only points we scored the rest of the quarter were on the shot where Lue probably didn't even beat the buzzer that we need another AJ and Watson would fill that role nicely. He's far from a superstar and he is definitely overpaid, but without a 2nd veteran PG we aren't going anywhere this year and while Lue is a good shooter he isn't a very good PG and we have to stop letting our forwards handle the ball so much, particularly when AJ isn't in the game.

Petro is useless and I would hope that he wouldn't get minutes from Solo.

Boy, I'd do this deal in a femtosecond...

Watson has 8 assist per in his last 5 games. Even if that's just throwing the ball over to Durant.. He's still a pass first PG in an uptempo system who can hit the three if called to. The main difference between him and Aj is that he can push a tempo. He also plays a little defense.

I think right about now, Seattle is starting it's fire sale. There are rumors swirling that they will get rid of Wally Z and that they are looking to cut other salaries and build around Durant and Green! Strangely enough, they like Kurt Thomas too...

If they are going to move Earl for Jason Williams because he has an ending contract... Why not Lue and Lo??

P.S. - I keep thinking that we don't have a second round pick this year due to picking up AJ - but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Actually, this is the kind of trade that I think the ASG/BK could actually pull off - it's about their speed - and it could actually help this year and next at PG. Hopefully by then Acie is fully acclimated to the poisition.

Quote:

P.S. - I keep thinking that we don't have a second round pick this year due to picking up AJ - but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Actually, this is the kind of trade that I think the ASG/BK could actually pull off - it's about their speed - and it could actually help this year and next at PG. Hopefully by then Acie is fully acclimated to the poisition.

that 2nd rounder was for this past draft.Our only picks were our two LUCKY lottery picks.I've never seen anything so lucky.One pick down,phoenix has our first pick.another pick up Indiana keeps theirs.