• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Roy would be a HUGE part of this team

Dukegotgame

I am sick of hearing people say that passing on Roy was logical because we have nowhere to play him. That is bullshit. Besides the ever popular notion of playing Roy at 1 and JJ at 2, did it ever occur to people that we could very easily slide JJ to 3 and play Roy at 2? Not to mention he could backup 1/2/3. That makes either Chill or Marvin expendable to acquire a legit PG or big.

I am Duke fan and even I can see how idiotic picking Shelden was. I know hindsight is always 20/20 which is I why I do not question many of our GM's draft picks, HOWEVER this is different story since BK was too lazy to even work out other players and promised Shelden the spot.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I am sick of hearing people say that passing on Roy was logical because we have nowhere to play him. That is bullshit. Besides the ever popular notion of playing Roy at 1 and JJ at 2, did it ever occur to people that we could very easily slide JJ to 3 and play Roy at 2? Not to mention he could backup 1/2/3. That makes either Chill or Marvin expendable to acquire a legit PG or big.

I am Duke fan and even I can see how idiotic picking Shelden was. I know hindsight is always 20/20 which is I why I do not question many of our GM's draft picks, HOWEVER this is different story since BK was too lazy to even work out other players and promised Shelden the spot.

OK . . let's say we go with what you said. This is your squad in 06 - 07:

PG: Speedy / Lue / Ivey

G: JJ / Roy / Salim

F: Marvin / Chill

F: Smoove / Solo

C: ZaZa / Lorenzen

Adding Roy to a lineup already stockpiled with shooters and wings, would've been redundancy. Both Shelden and Solo were drafted to try to address the depth of the frontline.

And no matter how much people don't like to hear this, Marvin would've gotten the benefit of the doubt ahead of Roy, thus, Marvin STILL starts at the 3. I think even Chill gets the benefit of the doubt over Roy as a rookie.

Lue, Roy, and and Lorenzen would be the main guys off the bench. Nice squad no doubt. But very thin on the frontline. And what happens to us if Roy has his foot injury, like he did last year?

While it turned out to be a bad pick for us, the frontline had to be addressed in that draft. Shelden was the best big man option available for us. He had all the credentials of being a solid pro. He was supposed to come here, and do exactly what Horford is doing for us now . . rebounding and defending. If he just did that on a consistent basis, the pick would be solid for us.

Roy is no doubt the better pick over Shelden. No question about that. But I don't see any way that Marvin goes to the bench, in favor of Roy being in the starting lineup. No way that happens.

Whether you take him at #5, or trade down and take him later, Shelden's probably the guy we'd still take. If Shelden played anything like he played in March and April of last year, we'd be set right now.

The fact that neither Shelden nor Speedy were able to play key roles for us the past 2 seasons, was a double-whammy for us.

Quote:

So your saying we would have never had draft picks last season cmon now also why cant Brandon Roy play point guard? Some fans just live in a happy go lucky world where the Hawks can do no wrong in there eyes yet we have been the laughing stock of the league for how many years now. Wake up and smell the damn coffee.

If Roy could play PG, he'd be doing it full time in Portland. Roy plays the point exactly how JJ plays the point. He has the ability to be a playmaker, but he can't guard the quicker PGs in this league.

It's not about not having draft picks, it's about the fact that if we didn't draft Shelden, our frontline would consist of ZaZa, Smoove, and a combination of Solo and Lorenzen. LOL . . that's not good. Our wings and guards would be good, but we'd get killed even more down low.

Shelden didn't pan out, but he should've, even if he didn't turn into a star type player. He should at least be a very serviceable backup for us, but he can't even do that. That guy should at least be capable of doing what Horford does for us. But he can't even do that.

You just can't plug Roy into the current Hawks team, and think it would've turned out like that. You got to look at this from all angles.

I believe Roy played both PG and SG in college. I think the fact that the TrailBlazers have 4 point guards on the current roster has a little to do with ROY getting no PT at the point guard. How he is gonna play the point guard spot for them if they drafted Jack, Green, Sergio and signed Steve Blake. They have very little depth at SG and thats where he fits on that team right now but you cant tell me that the guy cant play PG in this league he has the talent to play both positions like he showed in college.

predraft review

Excellent ball handler with the ability to create shots for himself and others ... His midrange game is relatively impressive and his range has really improved this year ... Really stepped up in his senior year assuming a leadership role and taking over as the go to player for the Huskies ... Has spent time at the point guard position this year, and played admirably

Quote:

Quote:

Should have drafted Roy anyways knowing that if he was that good, we could trade JJ. Fact.

LOL @ this.

Amazing how Roy is the ish now over JJ, when JJ dropped 37 on his azz just 6 days ago.

JJ dropped 37 on his azz in a loss. Roy owned him in a win big freaking differnce. Where was JJ in that game in Atlanta when the game was on the line like Roy showed last night.

Quote:

I believe Roy played both PG and SG in college. I think the fact that the TrailBlazers have 4 point guards on the current roster has a little to do with ROY getting no PT at the point guard. How he is gonna play the point guard spot for them if they drafted Jack, Green, Sergio and signed Steve Blake. They have very little depth at SG and thats where he fits on that team right now but you cant tell me that the guy cant play PG in this league he has the talent to play both positions like he showed in college.

predraft review

Excellent ball handler with the ability to create shots for himself and others ... His midrange game is relatively impressive and his range has really improved this year ... Really stepped up in his senior year assuming a leadership role and taking over as the go to player for the Huskies ... Has spent time at the point guard position this year, and played admirably

Like I said, Roy has the ability to play the point, like a JJ or even a Dwyane Wade does. But those guys arent going to be able to guard the quick PGs for an entire game, while also trying to score and make plays for others. It'll wear them down.

But if you have a sittuation in which you want Roy to immeadiately have the ball in his hands, you can play him at the point for short stretches and have everybody play off of him . . just like we do with JJ.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Unfortunately....

JJ will not slide to three because BK has put the word out that Marvin must start. Didn't you notice that last year when Marvin SUCKED that he was still the starter? BK is still trying to show that he didn't make the biggest goof in the world by passing on Paul! So Marvin would not have been benched so that Roy could play.

Best Hope is that Roy play PG... However, I don't think Roy would be any better at PG than Chillz is or that JJ is. Haven't you thought about us playing JJ, Chillz, Marvin, Smoove, and Horf as our Starting 5?? Do you know why we don't do it? Woody's offense requires a real PG. That's why when Aj plays, we look good. When he doesn't we look like BS!

I am not convenced that Sheldon is a complete bust, yet. Woody doesn't play him, but in my book that means nothing. Woody is a moron of a coach. When Sheldon gets significant playing time, he actually contributes. Woodson refuses to play him. When Sheldon goes to another team watch him get 20-25 minutes a night and be a significant contributor.

That all said, I wanted Roy in that draft. I thought he could play point for the team, at least in stretches. However, if we had drafted Roy, we probably wouldn't have been in the position to get Horford. So, in a very backwards way we can ask whom would you rather have: Roy or Horford?

spin.gif

Quote:

HOWEVER this is different story since BK was too lazy to even work out other players and promised Shelden the spot.

To not even work out SW much less any other player and to promise SW was more idiotic than imaginable. If you [censored] up and you do so in large part because you didn't do your homework, you should get F-I-R-E-D!

Oh, and of course Roy is simply a BALLER. Guys like him you can't keep off the court and as a Pg he would still be better than anyone we have, PERIOD!

SW = quickest bust in NBA history. He had no "potential" in this league and if he can't contribute strong immediately he had no value. Should've seen that whether or not you tried him out BK.

W

Quote:

Adding Roy to a lineup already stockpiled with shooters and wings

When did we become stockpiled with shooters and when did a 1/2 become a "wing"? That's UTTER NONSENSE! We NEED a shooter or two right now as it is, one that isn't a liability in other areas. Moreover, Roy AT LEAST has Pg instincts and passing skills. He isn't a GD "wing" precisely because of his skill-set. In fact, his value to the team would be incredible because of his skill-set!

Because Roy isn't one of BK's narrow-skilled long athletic wonders means he would be infinitely more valuable this team. This team needs SKILLS!!!!!!!! Too many people have BK's dream of skill-less 6'8" athletes on the court. It's an idiot's strategy and too many people cling to it.

Remember, BK didn't even try out a MFing player INCLUDING SW and promised him. Indefensible. The notion that drafting SW at all? Indefensible. Get a clue even if it takes hindsight.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

HOWEVER this is different story since BK was too lazy to even work out other players and promised Shelden the spot.

To not even work out SW much less any other player and to promise SW was more idiotic than imaginable. If you [censored] up and you do so in large part because you didn't do your homework, you should get F-I-R-E-D!

Oh, and of course Roy is simply a BALLER. Guys like him you can't keep off the court and as a Pg he would still be better than anyone we have, PERIOD!

SW = quickest bust in NBA history. He had no "potential" in this league and if he can't contribute strong immediately he had no value. Should've seen that whether or not you tried him out BK.

W

Sorry but you guys still look at History in a revisionist fashion.

BK was under a lot of pressure for taking BPA (Marvin) over Need (Paul/Deron).

Going into that draft, need was still a defensive big or a PG.

BK was not so excited by Foye and the guy that everybody is crying about (ROY) refused to give us a workout.

What should he have done??

I know... Looking back it seems like he should have taken ROY anyway. BUT if any of you Roy lovers were in BK's shoes... Having went for BPA the year before and been slammed on a daily basis for it, you would not have touched ROY either.

That's not to say that Shelden was the best pick... However, with Aldridge off the board... Shelden was the best big left.

Quote:

If Roy could play PG, he'd be doing it full time in Portland. Roy plays the point exactly how JJ plays the point. He has the ability to be a playmaker, but he can't guard the quicker PGs in this league.

That's utter BULLSHIT!

First, in Portland they have THREE other quality Pgs in Blake, Jack, and Sergio. We would take ANY one of them. That is one of the strengths of Portland and these three Pgs ARE going to get playing time!

Secondly, Portland doesn't have another quality shooting guard. We have an all-star there.

Thus, despite the fact that Roy's college coach and the Trailblazer's coach called Roy "an NBA Pg", Roy is going to play where he is NEEDED and not where the team doesn't need him. And still Roy leads the team in assists by 1 APG and has the best A/TO ratio! Anthony Johnson (WTF) leads our team in A/TO ratio and APG.

Roy is simply a player YOU CANNOT KEEP OFF THE FLOOR! On the Atlanta Hawks Roy would play the 1 far more than he does for Portland, but JJ might also slide to the 3 or would sit allowing Roy to play the 2 some as well. Given Roy's variety of high level skills the team might even be better for it. Regardless, Roy would play 32+ MPG for us because you CANNOT DENY HE'S A BALLER and YOU CANNOT KEEP HIM OFF THE FLOOR!

Quote:

It's not about not having draft picks, it's about the fact that if we didn't draft Shelden, our frontline would consist of ZaZa, Smoove, and a combination of Solo and Lorenzen.

Last I looked the draft came before FAcy. If we didn't draft Knuckle-head Williams we simply sign NeNe or the like instead of bLOw Wright. Getting Roy would even have allowed us to NOT sign Speedy. Instead we could have gotten a less expensive, healthier alternative as a quality BU. We might even trade for an interior player (Childress or MW) since we would have two skill wizard all-stars in the back-court.

Northcyde. You officially are off the sensible list for good. If you cannot even acknowledge the idiocy of drafting SW, much less not even trying out Roy or SW, in hindsight, you are a farce. It's the biggest bonehead drafting move in a decade and to defend it is inane. Those who knew it was so then deserve credit. To not see it then AND now, even to defend it even now, is pathetic. Sorry, but to defend this, to defend BK, to defend you own utter lack of foresight in this situation is pathetic.

W

LOL . . that's not good. Our wings and guards would be good, but we'd get killed even more down low.

Shelden didn't pan out, but he should've, even if he didn't turn into a star type player. He should at least be a very serviceable backup for us, but he can't even do that. That guy should at least be capable of doing what Horford does for us. But he can't even do that.

You just can't plug Roy into the current Hawks team, and think it would've turned out like that. You got to look at this from all angles.

Quote:

Sorry but you guys still look at History in
a revisionist fashion.

BK was under a lot of pressure for taking BPA (Marvin) over Need (Paul/Deron).

Crybaby Diesel. Quit being stupid. You [censored] up in your "SW = Karl Malone" love-fest for SW. If a GM can't stand up to HIS OWN MISTAKES and is only doomed to make worse compensatory ones because of them, then [censored] fire him and HIRE...ME. I haven't made a mistake as to whom we should draft amongst available, considered lottery players. Deng then Iggy, Deron then Paul, Roy, Yi. Thus, I am not doomed to make compensatory ones. chairs.gif

Quote:

Going into that draft, need was still a defensive big or a PG.

And if you watched a d@mn Duke game you'd know that we'd still need one AFTER the draft. SW simply was not NBA top 10 pick worthy. BTW, Roy's 5.7 APG along with his 20+ PPG look a hell of a lot better than "INACTIVE".

Quote:

BK was not so excited by Foye and the guy that everybody is crying about (ROY) refused to give us a workout.

What should he have done??

Draft him you flaming SW love coward.

Quote:

I know... Looking back it seems like he should have taken ROY anyway. BUT if any of you Roy lovers were in BK's shoes... Having went for BPA the year before and been slammed on a daily basis for it, you would not have touched ROY either.

BK's shoes!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You mean if I had been as good awful as BK should I have decided to not try anybody out this time and see if I could do better blind by promising a 6'7" Pf at 5? Brilliant. I will NEVER be in BK's shoes apparently because I'm simply not that much of an idiot.

Quote:

However, with Aldridge off the board... Shelden was the best big left.

Actually, wrong. Milsap was the best big left on the board. Regardless, I expect my GM to know that the above statement is meaningless. It's no more meaningful than "George Bush is the best president currently in office". Assuming that Cheney is also president of course.

W

• Premium Member

revisionist_history.jpg

Hey Walt,

There's an interest Poll that I reposted today.

It said that of the voters of HS during your ROY draft, none of them voted to take ROY.....

I guess, you didn't vote?

Or maybe you had a write in for SENE!!!

Did you think we would forget about SENE???

How's the d-league...

I may have been fired, but I started my own company and we just bought you out!!!

HOSTILE TAKEOVER!

Quote:

It said that of the voters of HS during your ROY draft, none of them voted to take ROY.....

I didn't vote then certainly because it just allowed me to vote from the same computer...(see the new tally).

You wouldn't be suggesting that I was wrong to want Roy because all the HSer's got it wrong then to NOT want him.

BTW, I too wanted Bargnani and Aldridge over Roy. Of course when neither were available you've got to want the following best person availible whomever it may be. That was Roy, period. SW wasn't even top 10.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't vote then certainly because it just allowed me to vote from the same computer...(see the new tally).

You wouldn't be suggesting that I was wrong to want Roy because all the HSer's got it wrong then to NOT want him.

BTW, I too wanted Bargnani and Aldridge over Roy. Of course when neither were available you've got to want the following best person availible whomever it may be. That was Roy, period. SW wasn't even top 10.

W

Quote:

from the same computer

Sure...

Anyway... I didn't bring it up to say we shouldn't have gone after ROY. I brought it up to say that you guys who are on ROY'S sack so hard now, were on Sene's and Bargain Man's sack back when it was draft time. So it's very hypocritical of you all to criticize now... when you didn't have enough balls to stand with Roy then.

I'm very honest. I said it then, I will say it now.. After ROY snubbed us on the workout (for the second time).. I didn't want him. Plus, I felt that he was a duplication of what we already had with JJ.

I said it then. I stick by it now.

...that will tell you I wanted Roy over any of the remaining prospects on the board at 5.

Given that Roy is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SW, I'd think you'd want this conversation stopped. This is your last chance or your idiocy will be sprayed all over HS like a tomcat's scent.

Get it? Last Chance.

W