• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk got a nice win on the "road" last night.

pimp

This article make me sad. sadbanana.gif

AJC

Hawks handle Kobe, Lakers

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/07/08

For a team with legitimate playoff aspirations for the first time in nearly a decade, the Hawks still have doubters around town.

And there were quite a few of them in the stands at Philips Arena on Wednesday night, cheering mostly for Kobe Bryant and the visiting Los Angeles Lakers while the Hawks were busy recording one of their biggest victories of the season.

The Hawks' Al Horford fouls the Lakers' Lamar Odom (7). Horford had 15 points and a career-high 20 rebounds.

They battled back from a nine-point deficit to win a 98-95 thriller before a raucous sellout crowd of 19,701 that stood for the final two minutes of the game.

Just as impressive as the victory was the way the Hawks (21-24) won, maintaining their composure in the face of a mostly hostile crowd that seemed more interested in Bryant and the Lakers than they did the young crew that calls this city home.

"This is one of the best wins we've had all year," Hawks forward Josh Smith said after flirting with a triple-double for the second consecutive game, finishing with 17 points, nine rebounds, nine assists and five blocks.

"It was a half-and-half fan base, maybe 80-20, but we pulled it through. That's one of the most fan-favorite teams in the league. But we fought through the crowd and everything. But it was crazy. I was at the free-throw line, and they were booing me like they wanted me to miss, but we got the job done."

The Hawks trailed by eight at the start of the fourth quarter but rallied for their third consecutive victory during their four-game homestand, which continues Friday night against Cleveland.

"Our defense was the key, and rebounding the ball," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "Early on we were little flustered because they were making 3-pointers, but we were right there."

The Hawks outrebounded the Lakers 46-37 and held Bryant in check for most of the game. The Lakers' superstar finished with 10 assists but shot 4-for-16 from the floor and was held scoreless in the second half until he made a jumper with 1:41 to play.

Leading 95-93, Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson defended Bryant in the final seconds, forcing Bryant to lose the ball on a crossover dribble with eight seconds left. Bryant was called for a turnover when the ball bounced off his leg and over the half-court line, and the Hawks regained possession.

Smith made one of two free throws with 7.1 seconds left to push the lead to three points. Sasha Vujacic answered with a layup for the Lakers with 3.7 seconds left.

Johnson, who finished with a game-high 28 points on 10-for-20 shooting, sealed the victory with two free throws. Derek Fisher missed a last-second 3-pointer for the Lakers that would have sent the game to overtime.

"We expected the game to be like this," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "We were leading late in the game, but the Hawks really crashed the boards tonight, and that's how they took the lead. When I called the last time out, I told the guys we were putting ourselves in a situation to have a long night, and sure enough, that's what happened. You have to give the Hawks credit, they came ready to play tonight, and they played tough down the stretch."

Hawks rookie center Al Horford had 15 points and a career-high 20 rebounds, helping Smith offset the Lakers' huge size advantage inside.

"It was a dogfight from beginning to end," Woodson said. "What can you say? We beat a good team tonight. I think this Lakers team, getting Pau [Gasol], is probably the deepest team in the Western Conference."

The Hawks have had their way with the Western Conference elite at home this season, recording wins over Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, Denver and now the Lakers. But with both Smith and Johnson getting booed at the free-throw line late, Wednesday's win went down smoother than the rest.

"We wanted this one, bad," said Hawks swingman Josh Childress. "And it felt good to shut up those Lakers fans that were in the crowd."

Yep I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the boos so loudly. That was absolutely shameful and I feel really bad for the players having to put up with that because most of them have only been here 2-3 years and aren't responsible for the incredibly long playoff drought that we have had. I really hope that making the playoffs this year will be the key to getting the casual fans back.

Most obnoxious crowd I have ever see in Phillips. The "Kobe Love Feast" was comical to watch. They hang on every move and breath Kobe makes.

The majority of them seem to like more Kobe fans then actual Lakers fans.

Kobe makes a jump shot and 3 rows of Lakers fans stand up and give each other high 5's while they "clown around." I'm glad they had fun but it was funny to see grown men acting like 12 year old kids, after all I guess that is what sports is all about. Just wish more of them would cheer for the home team.

Quote:

That's Atlanta fans. Aren't there always alot of Cub fans when the Cubs come to town? This shouldn't be a surprise. Moreover, a Kobe Bryant who might be a criminal is a role model to a city like Atlanta which is known for it's big crime rate.

I went to the Braves / Cubs playoff series few years back. It was at the hype of the "Corked Bat" incident with Sammy Sosa. The crowd was probably 60/40. The Cubs fans would chant "Sammy, Sammy , Sammy" and the Bravs fans would drown it out with chants for "Corky, Corky, Corky." Fun times !

A ton of fans flew in from Chicago for that series.....All these Lakers, or shoud I say Kobe fans actually live hear.

I was at the Miami home game earlier this year (scorekeeper debacle). I didn't have a chance to watch the Lakers game but that Miami game was probably 40% Heat fans, it was pretty bad. I wish I could make it down to more games to shut up those away fans, but hopefully winning will get the Atlanta fans back.

Quote:

my question is:

does LAKERS have homecourt everywhere they go? or is this just a HAWKS thing?

It's more than just a Hawks thing, it's an Atlanta thing.

But I sure felt good waving my keys at the Lakers fans as they left the building last night. I started taking a poll of everyone in a Kobe jersey to see how many had actually ever been to LA. Oddly enough, every single one said they were born and raised smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

my question is:

does LAKERS have homecourt everywhere they go? or is this just a HAWKS thing?

It's more than just a Hawks thing, it's an Atlanta thing.

But I sure felt good waving my keys at the Lakers fans as they left the building last night. I started taking a poll of everyone in a Kobe jersey to see how many had actually ever been to LA. Oddly enough, every single one said they were born and raised smile.gif

Atlanta is not your normal city in that many of the citizen's of Atlanta move here for 5 years due to their career and the next think you know they are transfered some where else. Atlanta has the 2nd longest commute time to work of any ciy in America.

Alot of the long time Hawks fans are the life-long Georgians outside of the Atlanta "circl of life."

Quote:

Atlanta is not your normal city in that many of the citizen's of Atlanta move here for 5 years due to their career and the next think you know they are transfered some where else.

That's part of it, but you can't deny that there are a lot of posers in Atlanta. I was at the Falcons/Colts game on Thanksgiving, and you can't tell me that half that stadium had even ever been to Indianapolis, much less was from there.

I've stated this a million times already when it comes to the fans here. Atlanta isn't your typical city because 80+ percent of the residents in the metro area are from somewhere else. That's 4 million Laker, Cowboy, Steeler, Patriot, Yankee, Celtic, and Met fans who not only brought their hometown allegiences with them but usually have tons of $$$ to buy tickets when they come into town. Those folks for the most part also could give a fat baby's arse about the local product, which explains why the Hawks can sellout last night and this Friday when Labron comes in (note how many 'lifelong Cavalier' fans come to Philips that night) only for there to be a half-house when the Grizzlies show up. Those are 4 million folks who'll always have a negative thing to say about the local teams, regardless of how they're doing; they want absolutely NOTHING to do with them. You can't really blame them, though; if I lived in Seattle, I'd root for the Hawks/Falcons/Braves/Thrashers and wouldn't spend a dime on the local product there unless they came in to play, either.

As for the longtime residents here, can you really piss on them for having the common sense not to spend hard-earned $$$ on such a historically bad product? This team hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade; that's all they know. They don't care that JJ is a two-time All-Star or that Josh Smith is playing out of his mind. All they know is that the Hawks are STILL under .500, Chris Paul is an MVP-candidate in New Orleans and not here, the GM is a pompous boob, and the ownership group makes Donald Sterling look like George Steinbrenner. They've been burned sooooo many times by the (insert local team here) that they won't bother showing up unless....

1) the team is a championship contender; winning division titles and getting thumped in the first round isn't enough as the Braves will attest.

2) the team has a transcending superstar player on the roster (see Vick, Michael).

Unless either of those qualifications are met, the locals stay away, in a 'prove me, show me' way of mindset. None of the teams here have done enough to warrent folks to buy up tickets when the Grizzlies, Bulls, or Kings show up.

That's the bottom line. When the team starts winning big, then we won't be having these discussions.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

You sound like a life long Atlatan or Georgian.

Georgia Tech suffers the same problems.

Once ou get out of Atlanta you get all the "normal country people." Myself incuded, who are loyal but its a tough drive into Atlata at 7:00....I sill do it about 12 times a year.

Lifelong Atlanta resident and proud of it!! Like I said in that long diatribe, until the local teams start winning big, nothing will change. The Braves haven't won anything significant since 1999, the Falcons since '98. That may keep the flames stoked in one-sport cities like Salt Lake and Green Bay but not here. As for the Hawks, they haven't won a single 7-game series since arriving here from St. Louis 40 years ago. Tons of longtime residents know that already and stay at home until they 'prove them wrong'. They have yet to do that. Call it fairweather all you want. I call it common sense.

I am from Buffalo, but have lived here over 20 years. When the Bills play the Falcons, I have the Bills at heart, but if the Falcons win, I'm happy my second team won. After Buffalo lost its NBA team in the 70's, I loved the Lakers. When I moved here Nique and the 80's Hawks won me over, and I've rooted for every Hawks team since. Even the bad ones. I am totally sideways when the home crowd boos our team. Last night's crowd was embarassing, I'm ecstatic the Hawks smacked that a55, and Joe's D on Kobe sealed it.