• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou working on an out from AJC?

bumpyphish1

Sekou writing for cbs now, huh? He is too good for the AJC anyways.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10686451

If you want to keep '05 alive, do it without Marvin

March 4, 2008

By Sekou Smith

The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Marvin Williams is looking for relief, but there is none in sight.

Not with Chris Paul putting together what looks to be an MVP-worthy season and Deron Williams poised to lead his team deep into the Western Conference playoffs for the second consecutive season.

Not a 3-point threat, not exclusively a post player, Marvin Williams needs to find his niche on the Hawks' new starting unit. (Getty Images)

Not with Paul wrapping up a splendid All-Star Weekend in New Orleans with a near-MVP performance in his first trip to the big game, and Williams polishing off the Skills Challenge title in record fashion.

It's three years later and the pecking order from draft night 2005 is still dogging Marvin Williams, the No. 2 pick to the Hawks, ahead of both Deron Williams (No. 3 to Utah) and Paul (No. 4 to the Hornets). Milwaukee took Andrew Bogut with the No. 1 pick that night, but unlike Marvin Williams, he hasn't been caught in the pundit and fan crosshairs the way Williams has been.

The Hawks desperately needed a point guard then and passed on the two best of their generation for the promise and potential of the 6-foot-9 Williams, an extraordinary sixth man during his one, title-winning season at North Carolina.

"It's three years later, man, leave it alone," Williams said, rubbing his head while sitting in the lobby of a Boston hotel before the Hawks played the Celtics on Sunday. "That's just how I feel about it. We got drafted where we got drafted. And it just is what it is.

"Chris and Deron are obviously having great careers. And they're good dudes. So I wish them the best. But like I've been saying from the start, I'm only worried about myself. And I feel like I've been trying my best to improve my game ... that other stuff, though, it just gets old, man. It's over and done with."

Not in the eyes of many who feel that Marvin Williams will go down as one of the bigger draft mistakes in recent years.

Advertisement

While the career trajectories of both Paul and Deron Williams are soaring, Marvin Williams, the Hawks' third-leading scorer and rebounder, hasn't blown anyone away in his three years.

Heralded as a franchise talent and arguably the most talented prospect in the '05 draft, Williams would have a hard time fighting his way onto any top 10 lists at the moment.

He has been a solid starter, averaging 15.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his 56 starts this season on an up-and-coming Hawks team that is in contention for its first playoff berth in nearly a decade.

Williams wasn't picked for the Rookie Challenge in either of his first two seasons, a clear shot from assistant coaches around the league who have not been overwhelmed by his game.

In addition, the Hawks have two other young studs, fourth-year power forward Josh Smith and rookie center Al Horford, who are pressing for All-Star status ahead of Williams.

"People can knock Marvin all they want, but it just is not a fair criticism," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said of his starting small forward. "He was asked to come in and do things that physically and emotionally few guys are ever ready for. There are nights when he's been out there facing Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Paul Pierce, Tracy McGrady and those types of guys as a 19- or 20-year-old. That's a huge assignment for a 10-year veteran, let alone a kid who's two years removed from high school.

Advertisement

"He's only in his third year and he's made huge strides. And he's 21 years old, so you know he's going to make another giant leap or two or three before his career is over. And he's going to play a long time in our league. A long, long time."

The Hawks just recently found that elusive point guard they've needed since Mookie Blaylock when they traded for former Sacramento star Mike Bibby during All-Star Weekend. It was a noble attempt to right a wrong from three years ago -- a gesture not lost on Williams, who is fully aware of the hindsight wisdom everyone is employing now in regard to that 2005 draft.

"Listen, at the end of the day Chris and Deron are not going to help my family," Williams said defiantly. "And again, I wish them the best. If people did their homework, they'd realize those guys were doing the same things they're doing now in college. And they're probably the two best point guards in the league right now. But it has nothing to do with me and what I'm trying to do as a player and what I'm trying to do for my team.

"Someone was drafted ahead of me, too. And I don't hear anybody making the big fuss about that. Nobody says anything about all the teams that passed on (Los Angeles Lakers center) Andrew (Bynum). As players we can't do anything about where we get drafted, so I wish people would just leave me out of this."

That'll be much easier to do if the Hawks finally snap their eight-season playoff drought, the NBA's longest such streak, and if Williams plays a pivotal role in that process.

But he'll have to find his niche on the team first. With the addition of Bibby, the Hawks finally have that second outside scorer they've needed to pair with All-Star and captain Joe Johnson on the perimeter.

Williams is a deadly mid-range shooter when his shot is falling. But he has never been a threat from beyond the 3-point line; he's 1-for-9 this season.

Now that Smith and Horford have established themselves as one of the top young inside tandems in the league that leaves Williams searching for the right fit for his skill set.

The Hawks' most consistent double-digit scorer before the Bibby trade, Williams went three games without cracking double figures before scoring 20 points Tuesday against the Golden State Warriors.

But while others might be more concerned with individual goals, Williams said his focus is on the team and what he can do to aid its postseason cause.

"I feel like every single night I have to go out there and compete at my spot, no matter who I'm lined up against," Williams said, sounding more like a wide receiver than a starting small forward. "I have to push my body to make sure I'm that consistent scorer every single night, whether it's 16 or 17 points or whatever. But that has to be my role."

If that doesn't sound like the role of a No. 2 pick in the draft, so be it. Williams is content to let others continue that debate without him.

btw, Marvin's quoted responses to the criticism in this article are those of a heartless [censored]. I haven't said a doubting or negative word about Marvin until very recently, but at this point, I think we should try to trade him. Sounds like he is shying away from the competition to me. He ought to go ball with Larry Hughes, Jonathan Bender, and some other heartless B-Ballers.

I know the Marv lovers are gonna bash me for this. And, I will probably sing a different tune after his next good game. But lately, he hasn't done a thing for this team save displaying clumsiness in receiving passes and (tonight) bumbling the ball up court.

Quote:

"Listen, at the end of the day Chris and Deron are not going to help my family," Williams said defiantly. "And again, I wish them the best. If people did their homework, they'd realize those guys were doing the same things they're doing now in college. And they're probably the two best point guards in the league right now. But it has nothing to do with me and what I'm trying to do as a player and what I'm trying to do for my team.

"Someone was drafted ahead of me, too. And I don't hear anybody making the big fuss about that. Nobody says anything about all the teams that passed on (Los Angeles Lakers center) Andrew (Bynum). As players we can't do anything about where we get drafted, so I wish people would just leave me out of this."

iagree.gif i agree with Marvin, if BK had did his homework , he would have known to take Paul or Deron lol.

But, really, Marvin has to understand that the Marvin/Paul/Deron thing will never go away, unless he makes it go away himself.

Quote:

Quote:

iagree.gif i agree with Marvin, if BK had did his homework , he would have known to take Paul or Deron lol.

But, really, Marvin has to understand that the Marvin/Paul/Deron thing will never go away, unless he makes it go away himself.

It ain't ever going away completely.

The funny thing about this article is that Sekou comes off as a detached observer who may have possibly thought Marvin was the wrong pick at the time, when in reality he was FIRED UP about Marvin. I emailed with him several times leading up to that draft and we shared the excitement, literally excitement that the Hawks were targeting Marvin.

He was as sold as anyone.

Marvin Williams didnt draft Marvin Williams. So why is he being the one asked questions? If they want to ask critical questions, ask him about his development. Being drafted #2 should be about performing up to a #2 pick (and he has not) but not about who was drafted below him.

Really, what do some of you want him to say? This is a guy that no matter how well he plays, he gets criticized endlessly by a bunch of fans who don't know what they are talking about. Fans that completely make up criticisms such as your clumsiness comment or the recent idea that Marvin cannot create his own shot.

Marvin just came off a game where he scored 20 points on 50% shooting, but you didn't hear a damn peep out of any of you who constantly are berating him endlessly. Let him make one mistake on the floor though, and the guy is the worst player this league has ever seen.

Quote:

Really, what do some of you want him to say? This is a guy that no matter how well he plays, he gets criticized endlessly by a bunch of fans who don't know what they are talking about. Fans that completely make up criticisms such as your clumsiness comment or the recent idea that Marvin cannot create his own shot.

Marvin just came off a game where he scored 20 points on 50% shooting, but you didn't hear a damn peep out of any of you who constantly are berating him endlessly. Let him make one mistake on the floor though, and the guy is the worst player this league has ever seen.

co-sign! It's like some posters hope for him to fail.

Quote:

Quote:

co-sign! It's like some posters hope for him to fail.

Josh Smith killed our momentum, gosh.

Quote:

That's why I kind of went off the deep end last night during halftime of that Warrior game. All of that BS about JJ not being this or that. Then he has one one of the best halves in franchise history, and there's hardly a peep about that. But let him miss a few shots and have a few stupid turnovers, and they come out the woodwork to whine and cry and belittle the guy.

It's happened to every single player on this team, outside of maybe Acie. Acie has gotten a pass from the majority of Hawksquawk, including myself.

But here's a legit question about Marvin's situation. If he were in Milwaukee, or New Orleans, or Utah, would he be a better player under a different system, coach, and teammates?

Conversely, what would a Deron look like under Woody? Paul? Personally, I think Paul would be OK. He wouldn't be a potential MVP candidate, but he'd still be good. Deron though, Deron might be a mess in Woody's system. It took a while for Deron to take control in Utah, so there's no telling how Woody would've treated Deron. And Stockton worked with Deron after his rookie season. Who would've helped Deron here? Spud? Morlon Wiley?

Players have to be in the right situation, in order to maximize their potential.

The vast majority of #2 picks are thrust into being one of the main guys right off the bat. And they usually don't have to compete for their starting job. It's usually already open or handed to them.

Marvin, Darko, and Tyus Thomas were all guys who had more talented guys playing in front of them in their rookie years. The GMs on those teams are more to blame for their lack of development, than anybody else.

If Marvin is drafted to replace Harrington, then get rid of him right off the bat . . like Seattle did with Ray Allen concerning Durant. BK pretty much wasted a entire year of development with Marvin at the 3, and frankly with Josh Smith at the 4, by keeping Harrington around as long as he did.

I mean, even look what happened with Horford. His constant improvement is due to the fact that he was thrusted into the starting lineup right away. God forbid that Zaza was healthy to start the year. Woody may have suppressed Al, in favor of going with Zaza for 25 - 30 minutes a night.

That's exactly what happened with Acie, with him not playing signifcant minutes behind AJ and Lue. If he's the starter from the beginning, there's no telling how far along he'd be right now. We might not even trade for Bibby. But with Bibby here, his development may also be slowed, and his ultimate potential may not be realized.

Meanwhile, Conley is getting valuable minutes in Memphis, even though they lose on most nights. This time next year, people will be talking about how good Conley looks, compared to Acie, who will be Bibby's backup. They made sure they got rid Damon's azz, so that Conley could develop as fast as possible.

Quote:

Players have to be in the right situation, in order to maximize their potential.

They also have to have skills and "potential" to realize their potential. Marvin just doesn't have any. He's weak as hell, can't dribble, isn't quick, can't post up, and can't finish inside at ALL. He stands around and bricks jumpers. Players who sucked in their early years and turned into stars showed that they had the ABILITY to be great players, but just didn't put it together. Marvin just doesn't display that at all. I still can't believe BK screwed up this bad, and worst of all the ASG who supports it. KB where you at? I remember that solo display calling out the entire board. I'm guessing Marvin was still the correct pick?

• Premium Member

Did any of you catch this:

Quote:

But while others might be more concerned with individual goals
, Williams said his focus is on the team and what he can do to aid its postseason cause.

Is this a shot at JSmoove or JJ?

Here's a perfect example of someone clearly making up crap about Marvin Williams. The idea that he has no skills is completely ridiculous and nothing but a made up criticism by a fan who has no idea what he is talking about.

The reason Marvin Williams was a CONSENSUS top 2 player in that draft is because of his skills. He's 6'9" with a great jump shot, ball handling ability, and the ability to put the ball on the floor going to the basket.

Saying Marvin has no skills is like saying Jamal Mashburn had no skills.

Quote:

So, I'm not the only one that sees it. I made the Mash comp last year. He doesn't have Mashburn's aggressiveness, though. But maybe Smoove's to's, Joes's pounding and a lot of other stuff play into that, too.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

So, I'm not the only one that sees it. I made the Mash comp last year. He doesn't have Mashburn's aggressiveness, though. But maybe Smoove's to's, Joes's pounding and a lot of other stuff play into that, too.

So now it's everyone else's fault that Marvin isn't playing up to his potential? Who are you trying to convince here? Marv seems to have a nice array of skills, it's the application of those skills that I'm concerned about. If you're shot isn't falling, then crash the boards and play bulldog defense. Don't just stand there. There's absolutely NO reason for a player with his size and athleticism to average less than 7 rebounds a game. I just want to see more desire/intensity out of the guy. Not even a mediocre coach like Woody can be blamed for the lack of intensity because that's something that cannot be taught. I watched Julian Wright out hustle everyone to the basket for putbacks and dunks last night based on desire and athleticism. You can't tell me that Marvin couldn't do the same if he wanted to, especially with his skillset and athleticism.

Quote:

Not even a mediocre coach like Woody can be blamed for the lack of intensity because that's something that cannot be taught.

I disagree. Both with your belief that Woody is mediocre, and you're belief that it can't be taught. If Marvin had Chillz game, I would say you are right. But he doesn't. Marvin actually has a little ability and he's trying to grow that. Marvin needs to be in a system to feel confident enough to make those plays. There is a reason he looked so good at UNC. It's called an offensive system. We've played streetball for years. We suck as a basketball team. Have for a long time. Marvin's aggressiveness, or lack there of, really could do little to change that. The problems are so much bigger than that. Marvin is a good team player. He'll never be a pg, but he will be a productive player on a winning team. It just might not be with us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not even a mediocre coach like Woody can be blamed for the lack of intensity because that's something that cannot be taught.

I disagree. Both with your belief that Woody is mediocre, and you're belief that it can't be taught. If Marvin had Chillz game, I would say you are right. But he doesn't. Marvin actually has a little ability and he's trying to grow that. Marvin needs to be in a system to feel confident enough to make those plays. There is a reason he looked so good at UNC. It's called an offensive system. We've played streetball for years. We suck as a basketball team. Have for a long time. Marvin's aggressiveness, or lack there of, really could do little to change that. The problems are so much bigger than that. Marvin is a good team player. He'll never be a pg, but he will be a productive player on a winning team. It just might not be with us.

Having ability and realizing and fine tuning ability are two different things.

The GS announcers put it very simply the other day.

They said " if Marvin had Al Horford's work ethic, he would be dangerous."

It's sad but true, other teams can see that Marvin has ability but he's not willing to work for greatness.

You know why I like Chillz for more than Marvin. It's because although Chillz may be flawed, he works his ass off. Chillz makes use of his minutes on the court. Marvin on the court for the most part is a statue waiting for somebody to pass him the ball.

Tim Thomas had more potential than anybody in hiis time. 6'10... good shooter, good passer, good ball handler. However, like Marvin, he was not willing to work hard for greatness.

I told you all a few years ago that it's a problem when Marvin starts giving himself excuses. Well, when he slumps... It's everybody else's fault. Oh, it's JSmoove's TOs. Oh, it's JJ's pounding. Oh, he's got some unnamed injury. What share of the blame is Marvin's??