• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Am I the only Marvin Williams fan here?? lol

TruJerz

yes, I know he should of never got picked over Deron Williams, Chris Paul and even Bynum but he has alot of potential still. He is having a decent year averaging 15 points and 6 rebounds....you cant really complain with that when you got JJ, JSmooth and now Bibby on your team. I think he can be an all star one day or at least a border line all star in 2-3 yrs..he reminds me of Jamison a little bit and yes i think he can turn into a Jamison type player in a few yrs. no? lol

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess that's why your name is "Hawksfaithful" if you have that much faith in Marvin. He's just simply not that good. His PER hasn't improved in 3 years and he hasn't added ANYTHING to his offensive arsenal, not a great resume to become an allstar if you ask me. I honestly have zero faith in this guy, he needs to be traded while he still has a little value IMO.

Quote:

Well, I guess that's why your name is "Hawksfaithful" if you have that much faith in Marvin. He's just simply not that good. His PER hasn't improved in 3 years and he hasn't added ANYTHING to his offensive arsenal, not a great resume to become an allstar if you ask me. I honestly have zero faith in this guy, he needs to be traded while he still has a little value IMO.

I agree 200000%

I am a Hawks fan. Marvin is a Hawk. Therefore, I am a Marvin fan. He's one of ours.

Some fans see no improvement in his game since the first day he set foot on the floor.

They see no hope for improvement. What you see is what you get and that's it.

There is resentment, hostility even, against Marvin because of where he was drafted.

He should be better simply because of where he was taken in the draft. Marvin had

nothing to do with when he was drafted, yet we blame him.

Can he improve his game? Is it possible that he will get better as he matures? Could

it be possible that coaching has any thing to do with it?

Hawks have improved. We're not where we want to be. Much improvement still

lies ahead if we are to join the top teams in the NBA.

Just as I believe that the Hawks team can and will improve, I believe the same thing

about Marvin Williams. He still has a great future ahead of him.

Yes, I am a Marvin Williams fan.

thumb3d.gif

Quote:

I am a Hawks fan. Marvin is a Hawk. Therefore, I am a Marvin fan. He's one of ours.

Some fans see no improvement in his game since the first day he set foot on the floor.

There is resentment, hostility even, against Marvin because of where he was drafted.

He should be better simply because of where he was taken in the draft. Marvin had

Can he improve his game? Is it possible that he will get better as he matures? Could

Just as I believe that the Hawks team can and will improve, I believe the same thing

thumb3d.gif

I'm a fan also 'mule. I do critisize all of them at tims but I always pull for them individually and collectively. Heck, I check the Kings boxscore for Shelden (a very nice kid) and I did not want him drafted here. So I do pull for Marvin as all the guys.

I must be reminded of two things:

1) Marvin is 21 years old.

2) Marvin did not draft himself.

I don't even mind Marvin starting (since Zaza has declined) cause the team lifts up when Chillz comes in.

As he matures he will continue to improve.

Quote:

thumb3d.gif

Very well said…

Well, I am one of the fans who think he should be traded or come off the bench. Marvin has shown improvement but at the same time there are glitches in his improvement.

He can take his man off the dribble but he doesn’t stay focus, i.e. fumbles the ball, or miss the shot.

For his size, he can take must SFs off the dribble but again staying focus is the problem.

It pisses me off because he can be a very good player is he works on his game like Smoove.

Smoove had that same fumbling problem his 1st 2 years.

Another thing that shows Marvin need to work on his game… He can play good defense BUT when his man does not have the ball I see him loosing his man all the time causing his man to get an easy layup/dunk.

I will give Marvin this… over the past 2 weeks I have seen him make more shoots after putting the ball on the floor.

I think fans fall into 3 categories:

1. Straight up hater (bench Marvin and trade him for a burnt biscuit) (not many of these but there fairly vocal as most haters are on whatever topic they choose to hate on.)

2. A fan who can still be critical and rational. Pointing out spots where improvement should be made after 3 years in the NBA, for example, is just an obvious observation and not "hating."

3. Loyal fans who watch games for their pleasure and enjoyent and feel no

need to be critical. Nothing wrong with this.

the beauty is now with Bibby, JJ and Smoove and Horf, we dont need more than 10-15 pts from Marvin a night. As long as he shoots near .500 and makes his open 20 footers...I'm happy. He is still just a 21 year old kid!!! Everyone develops at a different speed. I laugh at the people that suggest he has reached his potential at 21. You can't blame Marvin for being drafted where he was.

Quote:

the beauty is now with Bibby, JJ and Smoove and Horf, we dont need more than 10-15 pts from Marvin a night. As long as he shoots near .500 and makes his open 20 footers...I'm happy. He is still just a 21 year old kid!!! Everyone develops at a different speed. I laugh at the people that suggest he has reached his potential at 21. You can't blame Marvin for being drafted where he was.

Good points !

Quote:

the beauty is now with Bibby, JJ and Smoove and Horf, we dont need more than 10-15 pts from Marvin a night.

For the moment, that is true. I believe most have realized that Al is the PF most wanted.

Problem:

To afford Al's talent at PF, JSmith or Marvin losses minutes and sits. JSmith ain't losing any minutes.

Solution:

We obtain a center, be it starter or another Zaza (Zaza can start if he has a backup).

Means:

Trade a piece or FA.

Marvin may be the most viable means to obtain the need.

P.S. Chillz is the player you really, really want on your team. Chillz is a baller.

I was a fan. His sorry play basically since the start of the new year has turn me into a non-fan. Before the season I saw him as our SF of the future. Now I see him as a piece to get us a 1st round pick to land a Center or trade for an establish Center. All he is now is a jumpshooting 6'8/240 SF. He can't do anything else beside that. When the jumpshot is falling then all of the sudden the potential start to show because he will do other things. If that is not working his entire game and confidence go out the Arena right away.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The other thing is that with JJ and Bibby, we have less need for a shooter to open the floor. Smoove can play Sf. We can trade Marvin for a Big...

I agree with Jack here (all the Hawks need from Marvin now is 10 to 15 ppg) but want to elaborate on why I agree with him.

Marvin is a role player for the current Hawks team . That is what the Hawks need him to be. That is what is best for the Hawks team. Now without Bibby, the Hawks leaned on Marvin's scoring ability and shooting more then they do now with Bibby on the floor.

Now a big time Marvin fan, who follows the Hawks only b/c they follow players from UNC, may want what is best for Marvin an not what is best for the Hawks.

What is best for Marvin, from an individual development stand point, is to do what Al Harrington did. Go to crappy team where you can develop and polish your offense game. The Hawks simply don't need to give a 21 year old that many touches with the other scoring talent they have on the floor.

Another alternative is to bring him off the bench and play him when JJ is resting to try and maximize his offensive growth potential.

With the way the team is rolling I would let everything stand pat the way it is. I think what is best for the Hawks team is what is being done right now (in terms of starting Marvin and briging Chills off the bench as a spark.) Let the minutes between Marvin, Chills and ZaZa, be divided up based on nightly matchups and performance.

Quote:

Quote:

The other thing is that with JJ and Bibby, we have less need for a shooter to open the floor. Smoove can play Sf. We can trade Marvin for a Big...

You've got to be kidding me right, "We have less a need for a shooter". The team will not improve if Smoove is to play Sf; we saw how that goes during the NJ game. When he plays Sf, Smoove will be no where near the basket, which means jump shot after brick jump shot. This team needs shooters playing the wings.

There is no question that this team needs more shooters just look at what happens offensively when Joe & Bibby are not in the game at the same time; the offense becomes stagnant. Don't let your hate for Marvin blind you into seeing Josh Smith's deficiencies playing the 3.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You've got to be kidding me right, "We have less a need for a shooter". The team will not improve if Smoove is to play Sf; we saw how that goes during the NJ game. When he plays Sf, Smoove will be no where near the basket, which means jump shot after brick jump shot. This team needs shooters playing the wings.

There is no question that this team needs more shooters just look at what happens offensively when Joe & Bibby are not in the game at the same time; the offense becomes stagnant. Don't let your hate for Marvin blind you into seeing Josh Smith's deficiencies playing the 3.

Let's be honest here...

Smoove's roving defense is far more impactful than Marvin waiting on a set shot.

Moreover,

Smoove scores more than Marvin at Any position.

Lastly,

we have seen improvement in Smoove...

What have we seen from Marvin??

Maybe Marvin can win the table tennis Championship for the league.. but his game on the court seems to be digressing not improving.

Now... If we get a Big (worthy Big) and if we go to an offense that puts Bibby and JJ on the perimeter (like they are now) and moves Smoove into the lane (actually teach him how to be a slasher)... we'd be damn near unstoppable.

But instead, you'd rather play everybody out of position so that we can only expect 10 - 15 from Marvin?

That sad.

Tell me drp... How far do you want to lower the bar?

By Next year it will be 8 points and 5 rebounds... with tough defense (that nobody can see or quantify).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's be honest here...

Smoove's roving defense is far more impactful than Marvin waiting on a set shot.

Moreover,

Smoove scores more than Marvin at Any position.

Lastly,

we have seen improvement in Smoove...

What have we seen from Marvin??

Maybe Marvin can win the table tennis Championship for the league.. but his game on the court seems to be digressing not improving.

Now... If we get a Big (worthy Big) and if we go to an offense that puts Bibby and JJ on the perimeter (like they are now) and moves Smoove into the lane (actually teach him how to be a slasher)... we'd be damn near unstoppable.

But instead, you'd rather play everybody out of position so that we can only expect 10 - 15 from Marvin?

That sad.

Tell me drp... How far do you want to lower the bar?

By Next year it will be 8 points and 5 rebounds... with tough defense (that nobody can see or quantify).

Let's see now first of all Josh Smith is no better of a perimeter defender than Marvin. Letting a guy drive bye you just to try and block his shoot IS NOT GOOD DEFENSE. Smoove will not, and does not affect as many shots playing the 3, where he is guarding on the perimeter most of the time. Josh dosen't have the quickness to drive past most defenders while playing the 3 unlike while playing the 4. By having Smoove play the 3 dosen't space the floor, because no one respects his jump shot. The bottom line is, Josh Smith playing the SF position is not whats best for Josh Smith; therefore it is not whats best for the team.

I don't know why you and the select Smoove nuthuggers can't understand that Marvin is not holding Josh S. back from playing SF. The truth is if Paul or Deron where correctly selected, then Smoove's best position still would be PF not SF. In Smoove's rookie year I could clearly see his best future position would be PF. The bottlom line is, that there is not a Marvin vs. Smoove position battle, actually a decision will have to be made between Smoove and Horford, since their best position is PF.

Quote:

By Next year it will be 8 points and 5 rebounds...

You must be talking about Childress. His scoring average is down to 11.6 on the season. he is averaging only 10 ppg this month.

I thought having a quality pg was supposed to help Childress. At least that was what you were saying a few weeks ago.

Marvin fan here. There are games where you have to ask why he doesn’t get the ball more often. Maybe it is his movement on the court, maybe we need a different offensive system. I don't really know.

I'll admit that he has some work to do, but I'm confident that he will show a marked improvement next year. I'm looking for Marvin to show the same improvement next year that Smith has shown recently.

Here is where Marvin sits with respect to the rest of the team.

FG%: 4th

Points Per Game: 3rd

Rebounds: 3rd

Blocked shots: 4th

Steals: Tied for 2nd.

TO's: Tied for 5th with Horford

Blocks: 4th on the team

Marvin has shown most of his improvement in rebounds, assists, and steals this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Woody is trying to get Marvin to focus on the defense this year as his offence is pretty descent already.