• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who has more upside?

Supporter

Sadly that how i feel, i feel as if josh smith has already reached his potential, which isnt bad but isnt worth max money, he ishletic and all, but he still doesnt have a consistant jumper and in the playoff push marvin is having the best games of the season, he has shown new types of shots like fadeways which josh cant do, and hooks. Marvin has the potential to be an all star type of player while josh is just an all star weekend dunker...

Quote:

josh smith or marvin williams

Honestly that's a tough question, if you put Smith with a team like the Hornets or the Suns then Smoove. But with the Hawks, Marvin.

Quote:

That is where you are wrong. Josh avg 17/8/3.5 and 2.9 with developing offensive skills. But in the case of marvin, is his jumper going to get better? Will he all of a sudden increase his vertical. Marvin's only upside is strategy and strength but his basic skillset is already set.

Marvin can improve on his overall game, off and on is killing him right now. Needs to settle down. Had a inside/outside game and plays good defense. I don't see a star but a potienial All Star in the future. As for Smith, he could be a potienal all star as well, but he similar to Shawn Marion and Antoine Walker(young) as far as team impact goes.

Marvin might not have the vertical that Smoove has but he has more than enough to do anything he wants on the court. Have you seen how high he gets on some of his alley oops?

I would say that Smoove has more upside because he can absolutely change games at both ends of the floor and can do that at will when he is focused. If he ever consistently focuses on being great there is no telling how high his ceiling is.

Marvin still has a lot of upside too but I don't ever see him as a game changer on either end.

Josh Smith by far.

His weaknesses are shooting and BB IQ. 2 things that naturally improve with age and expirence (and of course the proper coaching). He is naturally aggressive where Marvin is naturally passive. I see Smith with the potential to be a vocal leader by the time he is 26. Marvin on the other hand is more of a "quiet soul."

Smith has many intangibles that Marvin physically will never have.

Marvin can be a good 20 ppg scorer one day but so can Josh. However Josh is the better defender and better rebounder and with some baketball IQ he could be a Defensive Player of The Year one day and he will lead the league in BPG soon. Marvin does not have that kind of defensive potenital.

I like Marvin and hope he stays a Hawk.

This thread should not make people dislike either player.

Dont hold me accountable if some people began hating players i didnt mean for that, im just wondering that if we resign josh and josh, and marvin actually developes into an 18ppg scorer at the tender age of 22 then i dont see him staying a hawk since he will demand some huge money

Quote:

Josh Smith by far.

His weaknesses are shooting and BB IQ. 2 things that naturally improve with age and expirence. He is naturally agressive where Marvin is naturally passive. I see Smith with the potential to be a vocal leader by the time he is 26.

Marvin can be a good 20 ppg scorer one day but so can Josh. However Josh is the better defender and better rebounder and with some baketball IQ he could be a Defensive Player of The Year one day and he will lead the league in BPG soon. Marvin does not have that kind of defensive potenital.

But his biggest strength is his athletism. Which if he loses that, he become worst then Shawn Kemp(Cavs) who acually had some BBIQ. Marvin is better on and off ball defender. Marvin plays offense more effienciently then Smith. Marvin much smarter then Smith. Josh Smith has god giving ability and came along way but not enough to get him those merits. Your making him sound like Lebron. Josh can't play good defense, Josh does things well on D that only show up on the stat sheet.

also smoove to reach his potential like someof you guys said needs to get some dribbling skills and an outside shot. To me those are the hardest skills to obtain. I cant name even 5 players who througout their careers developed an outside shot and dribbling skills.

Before I opened this topic, I knew it would be between these two cats. Dolfan and coachx summarized my very same sentiments quite well. Smoove is quite a talent. With the right coach, I believe Smoove could be a 20/10/3/3 guy, or very close to it (he already is). He will continue to develop his post game and will hopefully start shooting those jumpers (not the 3 point ones) at a better clip. If he ever put 100% toward the defensive end consistently, I agree, he could be defensive player of the year one day soon. He just needs to work on his man/straight up defense.

As for Marvin, he has improved, too and is also the youngest cat of the core. However, I have seen nothing from Marvin to make me think he has a higher ceiling. Can he become a 20 PPG guy? I think so. Unfortunately, he disappears way too much in games. He will start out with 12 or 14 in the first half only to end up with 16 or maybe 18 points in the end. He is not aggressive at all, and if he cant hit his jumper, he doesn't make much else of an impact elsewhere.

I'd take Smoove all day every day. Watch him explode when we get a real coach in here.

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith by far.

His weaknesses are shooting and BB IQ. 2 things that naturally improve with age and expirence. He is naturally agressive where Marvin is naturally passive. I see Smith with the potential to be a vocal leader by the time he is 26.

But his biggest strength is his athletism. Which if he loses that, he become worst then Shawn Kemp(Cavs) who acually had some BBIQ. Marvin is better on and off ball defender. Marvin plays offense more effienciently then Smith. Marvin much smarter then Smith. Josh Smith has god giving ability and came along way but not enough to get him those merits. Your making him sound like Lebron. Josh can't play good defense, Josh does things well on D that only show up on the stat sheet.

Did you just say that Marvin is a better on and off ball defender? You sir are an idiot. jedi.gifjedi.gif

Marvin IS a better on the ball defender than Smoove is. It's not even close. Smoove constantly gets beaten when he has to defend someone one on one. I think he can be a good one on one defender but his man routinely gets past him and then Smoove tries to block the shot from behind.

smooth has more upside and will be a better player, he's developing a post game, his shot is shaky (to say the least) but i don't mind him shooting, (this was especially true before we got bibby and had no offensive strategy to speak of.) even then u could see the potential in josh, yeah he made and still makes turnovers but they are usually turnovers of aggression. u know trying to make a tough pass, trying to go to the hole and picking up offensive foul. he's only 22, 6'8 or 6'9 230, and a developing playmaker as well as scorer. and of course his defense will get better (i think). but alot of this does depend on josh himself. if he wants to be an all star, and wants to get to the playoffs every year, and wants to one day win a championship, he has to decide that he will put in the work to do all of this, thats the type of upside i see in josh smith.

i see none of that in marvin, he just reminds me of a robot out there on the court. from his emotions to his moves to his shot, even when he dunks on somebody and gets fouled, that little puff out his chest thing he does looking at the goal post? reminds me of a robot. with that being said, tim duncon? reminds me of a robot too, so who knows.