• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My 10 Thoughts

TheTruth

After a humbling loss, I would like to address a few things. Now, some might very well have a knee-jerk reaction to this game, but I will refuse to do such things here. So, here are my 10 things:

1) Who will step up? Joe and Bibby were a combined 9-32 FG, 28% FG, 3-11 from 3, and 8 assists. When your two best players play that poorly, it means other guys HAVE to step up. Horford sure did, and Chill did off the bench, but no one else did. Our team relies too much on those two, and when they are off, we lose. We need help.

2) We really need a dependable PG throughout next season. Now that Acie Law is our only other PG, and is supposed to be the “PG of our future,” we must make sure we develop this kid. Why? I love Bibby because of his scoring ability and veteran leadership, but the fact of the matter is that he is VERY frenetic—he is either hot as hell or cold as liquid nitrogen. Bibby has too many nights like this. We GOT to have another PG who can step in and give us a consistent presence at PG. Is Acie that guy yet? Of course not, but that is for several reasons (his, the staff’s, and his rookie-ness). We won’t retain Bibby once his contract expires after next year, so we need to make sure we have that guy in place so that we can have someone to rely on when that time comes. Whoever the next coach is (be it Woodson, Brown, or whomever) cannot do Acie like he was done this year.

3) We need a consistent inside presence. This is why I frown upon anyone, and I mean anyone, who suggests going out and grabbing a Center that doesn’t commit to defense first and offense second. We all know what happens when either Horford (a rookie at Center) and Smoove (a shot-blocking PF) get in foul trouble and have to take a trip to the bench. We got to have someone who clogs the lane, and right now, we don’t have that for the full 48 mins a game. Horford is great, but he needs help. And Smoove can only do so much. On that note, Smoove needs to commit to man defense over the offseason.

4) Where art thou Marvin Williams? I’m not about to bash him here, but when our big 2 (Bibby and Joe) are struggling, it is a perfect time for you to step up and show us that you can do so many wonderful things to make a consistent impact on the game—every night.

5) Pachulia. Seriously, Boston (and most other teams) don’t respect him because they are so busy making him their biatch. All the more reason why we need a Diop-type Center.

6) Our bench will be in SERIOUS trouble if we don’t re-sign Childress. He had a good game off the bench and is generally consistent offensively. If we let him go, we must either commit to playing Salim more or find a replacement. Now, if we do find a Center who can start, then that will move Marvin to the bench. I am fine with that if I could ever be convinced that Smoove could play the 3…

7) Smoove! I love your energy. I wish more had your energy. However, you HAVE to show up game in and game out. You have such a rare ability to impact the game on so many levels, but you have to find a way to do so consistently if we are ever going to do big things. You have the talent, and you do work hard over the offseason to work on your game, now it is time to bring everything together. You play extremely well when under control, but make little impact when not. Tonight was an example of the latter.

8) Commit to defense! We played ok in the first half, but then we started getting lazy on the defensive end. Bibby is bad defensively which is all the more reason why Acie Law needs to come into his own very fast next season (he plays good D). Pachulia is horrible defensively, which is all the more reason to go out and get a Diop-type Center. Also, we just need to play good TEAM defense. If we can do that, we can hang with the likes of Boston…

9) PLAY INSIDE MORE! We should really be taking advantage of the inside. At one point, the announcers flashed a stat that pointed to our proficiency at scoring inside and our horrible shooting outside during that first half. I have said for a while now, “We have to attack the basket and show some inside presence!” Unfortunately, we settle for jump shots WAY too often, and like tonight, when they don’t fall, we are screwed.

10) And finally, I know I don’t care for Woodson much at all, and I have stated my reasons why. This loss isn’t on him. He didn’t miss all those shots, he generally made good subs, and he called TOs when appropriate. However, he does need to go [along with BK] if our young azz team is ever going to take the next step. It’s nice that we got to the playoffs, but we need a vet coach (just like we needed a vet PG) who can rapidly mature these young cats we have. Boston is showing us all that we are nowhere near ready to do big things. With that said, don’t be mistaken and believe that I am positing that ridding ourselves of Woodson is the cure-all—you would be a fool to believe so (especially since my other 9 thoughts above point to additional things). But yes, he does have to go for us to get over the hump.

Oh yeah, can we fire ASG? Haha.

Comment away!

• Premium Member

Quote:

After a humbling loss, I would like to address a few things. Now, some might very well have a knee-jerk reaction to this game, but I will refuse to do such things here. So, here are my 10 things:

1) Who will step up? Joe and Bibby were a combined 9-32 FG, 28% FG, 3-11 from 3, and 8 assists. When your two best players play that poorly, it means other guys HAVE to step up. Horford sure did, and Chill did
off the bench
, but no one else did. Our team relies too much on those two, and when they are off, we lose. We need help.

2) We really need a dependable PG throughout next season. Now that Acie Law is our only other PG, and is supposed to be the “PG of our future,” we must make sure we develop this kid. Why? I love Bibby because of his scoring ability and veteran leadership, but the fact of the matter is that he is VERY frenetic—he is either hot as hell or cold as liquid nitrogen. Bibby has too many nights like this. We GOT to have another PG who can step in and give us a consistent presence at PG. Is Acie that guy yet? Of course not, but that is for several reasons (his, the staff’s, and his rookie-ness). We won’t retain Bibby once his contract expires after next year, so we need to make sure we have that guy in place so that we can have someone to rely on when that time comes. Whoever the next coach is (be it Woodson, Brown, or whomever) cannot do Acie like he was done this year.

The Hawks would be crazy to sign Bibby to his 15 million dollar extension next year. By the way, we still have Speedy Claxton on the roster!

dont make all of your judgements off of this one game..I agree with most of your points tho but just remember that we are playing the BEST team in all of basketball right now. Bibby will be fine man. This team just needs to add some pieces..i dont wanna blow up our team just yet

• Premium Member

Quote:

dont make all of your judgements off of this one game..I agree with most of your points tho but just remember that we are playing the BEST team in all of basketball right now. Bibby will be fine man. This team just needs to add some pieces..i dont wanna blow up our team just yet

Not basing my judgement off of one game. He is not even worth half of the 15 million dollar extension due! H_ll Labron only makes 13 million a year

• Premium Member

Quote:

Eh, I keep forgetting about "Speedy," but I dont have much faith in him. But hey, he could prove me wrong.

If he retires, we can use his salary to get another veteran point guard. We jus can't afford to sign Bibby to an extension. We would become the Atlanta Knicks if we did!

I disagree. IMO, Bibby either needs to be signed to an extension, or traded for a team looking for cap space. There is no middle ground. I agree with you about the money, but if you can get him to sign an extension for somewhere around $10M for 09-10, and decreasing by $500k each year after for 3-4 years, you do it. Or you move him for another starting PG and a player or two.

You can't halfway commit to Bibby if you want to take this team to the next level. Fish or cut bait.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but if you can get him to sign an extension for somewhere around $10M for 09-10, and decreasing by $500k each year after for 3-4 years, you do it.

I don't think that the extension is negotiable for next season. I think it is 15 million or you renounce his rights

Quote:

After a humbling loss, I would like to address a few things. Now, some might very well have a knee-jerk reaction to this game, but I will refuse to do such things here. So, here are my 10 things.......

Very good post Truth. The one thing that was painfully apparent last night, was that we are so heavily reliant on Bibby putting up big numbers. If Bibby is cold, they can double up Joe and create all kinds of trouble for us. I wish Potaohead wasn't so adverse to putting in Acie for Bibby or Richardson for JJ when either one of them are cold. He shows ZERO confidence in any of out subs besides Chillz.

Quote:

I don't think that the extension is negotiable for next season. I think it is 15 million or you renounce his rights

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a player option, not a team option (I just checked some websites, but they aren't showing it as having any option at all). There is no way Bibby is going to opt out of the last year on his contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a player option, not a team option (I just checked some websites, but they aren't showing it as having any option at all). There is no way Bibby is going to opt out of the last year on his contract.

Well we are stuck with him! Nobody in their right mind would trade for him!

Quote:

Quote:

After a humbling loss, I would like to address a few things. Now, some might very well have a knee-jerk reaction to this game, but I will refuse to do such things here. So, here are my 10 things.......

Very good post Truth. The one thing that was painfully apparent last night, was that we are so heavily reliant on Bibby putting up big numbers. If Bibby is cold, they can double up Joe and create all kinds of trouble for us. I wish Potaohead wasn't so adverse to putting in Acie for Bibby or Richardson for JJ when either one of them are cold. He shows ZERO confidence in any of out subs besides Chillz.

See, this is why I lamented Woodson's lack of development with Acie. Last night was a PERFECT time for Acie to get 15 or so minutes with 1)Bibby steruggling with his shot yet again and 2)Rajon effin Rondo and Sam "I am 80 years old yet torch these Hawks anyway" Cassell were going off. Acie plays defense and is our only other option at PG-- NOT Chill or Salim!

After running the starters ragged during the playoffs push in the regular season, I knew Woodson was going to have to call on guys he didnt go to consistently like Salim and especially Acie. Heh, what do you do now Woodson?