• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons Draft Thread

TheTruth

I think Dimitroff was choosing players with a goal of changing the atmosphere in Falcon land. With the exception of Wilrey Fontenot, 7th round pick, all these guys have the reputation of a good work ethic and a high football IQ. If TD gets enough players with these traits, we could finally see the end of the no consecutive winning seasons streak. I think Fontenot was chosen as a possible kick returner, otherwise that pick doesn't make sense. I think Ryan will do all right, but it remains to be seen if he is a championship caliber QB. Baker and Lofton look like good picks, and analysts are talking like Harry Douglas has the potential to be a special player.

Let me start with this. I wanted us to take the approach the Chiefs took. Get the big uglies (the best lineman possible early in the draft). Chiefs got Dorsey at #5 and traded up for Albert at #17. Good jobs Chiefs ! Dorsey was the safe pick.

The Falcons can't afford to screw up the #3 pick so hopefully Matt Ryan is the franchise QB we drafted him to be. I trust Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Mayock's opinions on that over mine. If Ryan turns out ot be as good and advertised THEN we made the right choice.

Trading up for Sam Baker was a reach but it was a necissity to do so after getting Ryan at #3. You have to protect that big investment with a REAL LT. ( One scout said this and I agree. " There is no such thing as reaching for a LT. If he is a legit LT you take him no questions asked." Sam Baker is a football player and not a "work out wonder" on combine days. He was a 2 time All American at LT. He seems like he will fit the new system but could not function in our old system of zone blocking, sweeps, and pull outs. Sam Baker has excellent footwork in pass protection but is very slow when it comes to getting out to the 2nd tier and blocking or breaking out wide for a sweep or toss or pulling from the left to right side. However, for all of his weaknesses he excels at straight up, old fashion, in line blocking which is exactly what this new O-Line wants to do. As long as we don't get too cute and just let Baker line up and play we will be fine. Just don't call many sweeps or pulls for him and don't expect him to make his way to the 2nd tier too often. He will protect Matt Ryan in the passing game which is his main function.

Dimitroff chose to take "football player" over "pure athletes" MOST of the time.

Lofton (MLB / Okl / pick 37) - will be a good pro. Is a aggressive hard hitter. Good athlete but not great. Could be a great football player. Shows all the intangibles you look for in a MLB. Excellent vs. the run and steady vs. the pass. Has the mean streak you love your MLBs to have

Jackson (CB / LSU / 68 pick) - definition of a cover 2 corner. Lacks ideal CB speed but has all the other intangibles. Great ball skills, good size, very physical, can play the run too. Played for the national champs in college. Is a "winner." Will be a good pro for certain matchups vs. bigger, more physical WR who lack break away speed. (Reminds of Boldin, that big and physical corner with dreads the Falcons had a for a few seasons.)

Douglas (WR / UL/ 84 pick) - this guy is really and excellent athelete and good football player. He was Brohm's number #1 target lasts year. He lacks size but has good speed and elite quickness with good rout running ability. Should produce in the slot in year #1. Possible big play / deep threat.

Thomas Brown (RB / UGA / 172 pick) - excellent athelete and good football player. Strongest player pound of pound in the history of UGA football. Also a "smart" player. Unlike most rookies, he excels in pass protection and special teams which will allow him to make the team and get on the field as a rookie. His "all around game" will allow him to have a long career. Watch this rookie light up blitzing LBs in pass protection.....It is a joy to watch. This kid is stout and will knock them on their azz.

The above players are the only guys we drafted who I saw play multiple times. One guy who intrigues me is the S/CB, DeCoud out of California. He reportedly played every position in the secondary and has freakish athelticsm for a S. Dimitroff's "specialty" is drafting safties in the middle rounds. Hope this one works out.

Would like to take the time to proof read this but I got to get to work.

Good analysis.

Lofton is going to be a great fit for us. Watching him play, he always gets his shoulders square and level when he goes for a hit. His head is always up as well. In otherwords, perfect tackling technique.

I actually can't wait to see what Kroy Bierman can do. The kid looks like a full-out player on the field. Relentless comes to mind from the vids I've seen of him.

I also agree that this rebuild is a long-term process and that is the correct way for this team to go. McKay killed us with all the band-aids he tried to apply in FA. We are still dealing with those bad decissions: Pierless Price, Abraham vs. Kearney, Hartwell, etc.

I like this article:

Ryan will determine if draft is solid

By D. Orlando Ledbetter | Monday, April 28, 2008, 01:08 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Had some time to digest the draft and the post-draft interviews of Thomas Dimitroff and Michael Smith.

Here’s the bottom line: If Matt Ryan is a baller at quarterback, then this was a successful draft even though the Falcons virtually ignored the offensive and defensive lines.

Here’s some of the data the Falcons had on Ryan that swayed them to take him over LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

• Of the Division I-A quarterbacks in the draft who started 24 or more games, Ryan won 76.5 percent of his 34 starts. Louisville’s Brian Brohm won 73.5 percent and Michigan’s Chan Henne won 72 percent of their starts.

• In “big games,” Ryan posted a 10-4 record (2-2 vs. Virginia Tech; 1-1 vs. Florida State; 3-0 vs. Clemson; 1-1 vs. Miami and 3-0 in Bowl Games).

• Before this draft, over his career Ryan only played with five players who were drafted by the NFL. USC’s John David Booty played with 19, Brohm played with 12 and Henne played with 12.

• In film review of Ryan’s play, the Falcons counted 54 dropped passes. Ryan completed 388 of 654 passes (59.3 percent). If his receivers had caught half (27) the drops, his completion percentage would have soared to 63 percent.

• Also, a friend who attended William Penn Charter High in Philadelphia told us to ask Ryan to sing the school’s fight song! It goes something like this, “Penn Charter, Penn Charter, Fight Harder, Fight Harder.”

• At least we know he’s going to “Fight Harder!!!”

Article ended above.

The part about how many pro players Ryan played with compared to Henne, Booty, and Brohm is very relevant when you consider Boston College played and beat the "BIG School" very regularlly. Sure you can say Flacco never played with any pro players but he also never played against or beat them either.

We have to remember that Boston College had NO running game last year. BC had NO WRs or RBs who were drafted either. Both Henne and Brohm had WRs who were drafted and both have had good running games to back them up through their college careers.

While Ryan excelled in "big games", Henne flopped in big games. While Ryan was the leader and captain of his team it was Jake Long (not their QB) who was the captain of the Michigan offense.

Ryan is not the end of the world. He could be the best thing that ever happened to this franchise. There is NO way he will be the worst.......that has already come and gone !

Obviously it (overall draft grade) comes down to Ryan. It's a passing league so I can see why they went for the top QB. I liked Flacco too but I think Ryan is more mobile in the pocket and has been chased by considerably better defensive players than Flacco. That said - if we had a good O line I would like Flacco nearly as much.

Half (if not more) of the passing game is your receivers...and a lot of their ability to make plays depends on knowing the kind of ball that will be coming at them and their confidence that the QB will put the ball in a spot that gives them a chance instead of diving for underthrown ball or reaching back for poor throws. I hope Ryan can do this pretty much out of the box.

Personally I was up for getting Dorsey and more guys for the "trenches" - but we didn't so that's water under the bridge.

P.S. - ESPN "experts" are rating the KC Chiefs with the best draft - for what it's worth.