• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson is the WORST motivator

JackB1

Did anyone hear the pregame speech that Woodson gave in the locker room? They played the tail end of it on the TNT broadcast. It was far from inspirational. There was no urgency or fire in his tone. He just spoke in a soft monotone voice and his final words, “Lets go out there and TRY and win this one.” Now I’ve played some sports in my day, and that sounds alot like a coach that has already admitted defeat in the game.

You don’t tell a team in the playoffs on the road to try and win. You get them fired up and tell them to win or go home. I got his message loud and clear and the final score reflected it. My wife was watching at that point and she even commented "Boy, that coach is no motivator".

Thank God we will have the Phillips Crowd to motivate our boys tonite!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Did anyone hear the pregame speech that Woodson gave in the locker room? They played the tail end of it on the TNT broadcast. It was far from inspirational. There was no urgency or fire in his tone. He just spoke in a soft monotone voice and his final words, “Lets go out there and TRY and win this one.” Now I’ve played some sports in my day, and that sounds alot like a coach that has already admitted defeat in the game.

You don’t tell a team in the playoffs on the road to try and win. You get them fired up and tell them to win or go home. I got his message loud and clear and the final score reflected it. My wife was watching at that point and she even commented "Boy, that coach is no motivator".

Thank God we will have the Phillips Crowd to motivate our boys tonite!

Yeah, I caught that too.

I was sitting there saying "try"??

But what he said previous to try to get a win was a pretty good lead in. He could have pumped them up a lot more!!

Well you obviously missed the halftime speech that they aired. Woodsen wasn't monotone and you could tell he was really pissed by the effort the players were giving.

what was worse in my opinion is that Woodson had to "borrow" something that Phil Jackson said on espn that he said to his players...phil jackson had said that he told his players that there were a certain amount of games they had to win to win the championship...woody even quoted it as phil jackson....is woody watching sportscenter to get something to say?

Quote:

Well you obviously missed the halftime speech that they aired. Woodsen wasn't monotone and you could tell he was really pissed by the effort the players were giving.

Halftime???? Halftime is TOO LATE. We could tell after the first 5 minutes that the Hawks had no fire going into that game. Watching Woodson is like watching paint dry.

Quote:

Quote:

Halftime???? Halftime is TOO LATE. We could tell after the first 5 minutes that the Hawks had no fire going into that game. Watching Woodson is like watching paint dry.

i have some cans of paint that would like to have a word with you after school behind the gym.

Oh come on Blunt, Woodson should be perfect and give a Win One for the Gipper speech every time he opens his mouth to talk to the players. I mean let's not expect the players who are making MILLIONS to PLAY A GAME to actually be able to motivate themselves.

As for his pre-game speech I liked it, from before the series started all the way through so far Woody has done nothing but talk about us win the championship and play in the next round and so forth. He doesn't even for a second concede defeat to the Celtics. I don't remember his half-time speech but I'm sure it was good.

God forbid the players actually have accountability for their lack of effort and motivation. Woody gets no credit when they play like maniacs at home but he gets all the credit when they play like stoners on the road. Yeah that's fair.

As is the case many times, i agree wholeheartedly with Dolfan.

This isn't high school or even college, where coaches are needed to motivate players. This is the NBA. These guys are professionals being paid millions of dollars, knowing that a whole city has their back and is hoping for them to be victorious.

If the players lack motivation and fire, that is 110% on the players and has nothing to do with Woody.

And don't confuse me with a big-time Woody fan. I'm lukewarm to him at best.

Can you imagine if you came to work and only put forth an effort to do your job every other day or so? Should your boss have to give you a speech every morning before you start so that you will work hard? Hell no! The expectations put on coaches to be able to control a group of young men being ridiculously overpaid to play a game is just insane. Take away their guaranteed contracts and I promise you that the level of effort would go up every game across the board, except of course for those players who already put forth maximum effort every game already.

Quote:

Oh come on Blunt, Woodson should be perfect and give a Win One for the Gipper speech every time he opens his mouth to talk to the players. I mean let's not expect the players who are making MILLIONS to PLAY A GAME to actually be able to motivate themselves.

As for his pre-game speech I liked it, from before the series started all the way through so far Woody has done nothing but talk about us win the championship and play in the next round and so forth. He doesn't even for a second concede defeat to the Celtics. I don't remember his half-time speech but I'm sure it was good.

Oh come on man. I don't think pre-game speeches are THAT important, but it was pathetic. I didn't say a word, and my friend who never watches the NBA was laughing at what a bad speech that was. He looked half asleep.

I don't think they are that important either and I don't think it was a great speech by any means but compared to other coaches that I have heard during the playoffs it's pretty much the same stuff. Players are often looking off somewhere else and the coach isn't yelling or anything like that.

Quote:

what was worse in my opinion is that Woodson had to "borrow" something that Phil Jackson said on espn that he said to his players...phil jackson had said that he told his players that there were a certain amount of games they had to win to win the championship...woody even quoted it as phil jackson....is woody watching sportscenter to get something to say?

Gve me a break do you actually think that Phil Jackson was the first one to use this? Perhaps you don't remember Moses Malone's answer to the question of what it took to win the championship - "Fo, Fo, Fo, Fo" I might have added another 'Fo' in there but you get the picture.

I'm all for bringing Woody back as he's a better coach than given credit. Then to hear D'Antoni's name as a replacement makes me laugh as Sun's fans have the same complaints about him as you guys do about Woody - poor substitution patterns, can't develop a bench, no defensive system (substitue offensive here for Hawks).

I'd be willing to bet that Woody's record would be the same or better with the Suns lineup and that D'antoni wouldn't do any better here than Woody...

I guess what they say is true...one man's garbage..

Quote:

God forbid the players actually have accountability for their lack of effort and motivation. Woody gets no credit when they play like maniacs at home but he gets all the credit when they play like stoners on the road. Yeah that's fair.

Seriously. Too little credit, too much blame for a coach.

I don't think he's a good coach, but what we have to consider is how many of these frustrating things with our team being undisciplined defensively and with their play on the road is attributed to their youth. We are the 3rd youngest team in the entire NBA folks. (1st in the post-season)