• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am still proud of the team

capstone21

• Admin

not for the performance in this game...but for this series.

This was a big year...we made the playoffs which was a victory.

However, we took the best team in the NBA to 7 games. We are the only underdog team to do that.

The experience from this series will be invaluable. We are going to be much better next year.

We got to see the team finally be tough. We got to see a different Zaza. We got to see Horford become a leader.

...and most importantly...we now know that there are Hawks fans that will support the team if we are successful.

THere are some adjustments needing to be made.

Next year we will already have some more depth with Speedy and David Anderson.

We need a defensive post big to guard the Duncan's, Howard's and Yao's.

We need a perimeter shooting guard off the bench.

We need a new coach.

I think if we resign our FAs, make some tweaks and get a new coach we are a 50 win team next year.

Its hard to watch this game but it does not take away from what we did this series....and no, people will not remember us for getting blown out in game 7. They will remember we took the Celtics to a game 7. We are a competitive team now and people have finally taken notice.

Yep, most definitely proud of them. They got embarrassed today but it might be a good thing for us as hopefully it will lead to some changes.

1. Woody definitely needs to go. I like the man and I think he can win with a veteran team but we are too young to win with him.

2. Smoove cost himself a max contract today. He will still get paid a lot of money but he probably saved us 10 million on the life of the contract today.

3. We need veterans who can keep games like this under control.

4. We need a few more bigs.

5. We need some solid guards to bring off the bench.

I'm still thankful for all of the excitement that they gave us in the playoffs though. I hate how it ended today but nothing short of a win would have been okay. Even a heartbreaking close loss would have hurt. We have a lot to look forward to in the future!

Adjustments are needed. Obviously the first adjustment would be a mentality adjustment. If the Hawks were a halfway decent road team, we would've gotten at least one game on the road in this series. To be this bad on the road, and then be THAT good on the home floor is just wild. We need to find a balance.

They also need more depth. A 7-man rotation obviously won't cut it if they plan to advance through the playoffs next time. If they can bolster the bench, it will definitely improve this team.

I am definitely proud of this team, and the future definitely looks bright. The fans are here, the core is intact, the exposure is gonna be there next year (we will get nationally televised games next year, bank on that.), and hopefully players like Joe will actually want to come here now. The future is definitely bright, and I'm still proud of the team.

Quote:

I think if we resign our FAs, make some tweaks and get a new coach we are a 50 win team next year.

I hope for between 45-50. It's absolutely imperative we get better on the road. Our home record this season was as good as anyone in the eastern conference playoffs except Boston and Detroit.

Boston 35-6

Toronto 25-16

Philadelphia 22-19

Detroit 34-7

Cleveland 27-14

Orlando 25-16

Washington 25-16

Atlanta 25-16

Hawks were 12-29 on the road. I think we can win as many as 30 games at home with the fans that will come out next season. If we improve 5 games on the road that's close to 50 wins. Go Hawks!

• Premium Member

Agreed. I think the Woody "era" has run its course. I'm not sure he can take this team any further. We also need some veteran help to "stabilize" things a bit. Acie should be ready to start by the start of next season. If he's not, we'll have to hope that Bibby can play a lot better when healthy. We still need a Center(Anderson?) and a starting SF. No disrespect to Marv, but I'd like to see a vet(Maggette) in that spot. Keep Chillz as he will be pretty cheap. I can see us keeping Smith as long as we don't give him max money. He's just not there yet. We have to find a way to get rid of Speedy. He's just taking up space right now that a savvy vet could have. The bottom line is that we have to offset some of the youth on this team. I fully expect us to win 50 plus games next season... if we can make the needed changes.

The inability to be mentally prepared and execute on the road is on the coaching staff. It's shocking how inept the team looked today in the biggest game of most of these guys' careers. Obviously, Woodson isn't cutting it.

I am proud of what the team has done this series. However, this series proves a few undeniable facts. 1. We're too talented to have finished with just 37 wins. 2. Woodson is not the coach to take us to the next level.

Yeah it's definitely time to move Marvin. We need a veteran SF that can knock down the 3pt shot and can take it to the hole without fumbling it away. I still think Marvin will be a good player but he's not a "money" player and I pray we aren't the team that makes the mistake and overpays for him. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

When has a team this young EVER performed this well in the playoffs, must less taken the best team in the league to 7 games? Look how bad Philly got beaten down by the Pistons and yet Mo Cheeks was considered for coach of the year. They are in the same situation as us. I'm not advocating Woody coming back but you can't COMPLETELY blame him for the players laying an egg today.

Bk said at his town hall meeting that since they don't have a draft pick this year that Andersen (and congrats on being among the few who can spell that correctly) will be like their 1st round pick this year. His contract is up and he is ready to come to the NBA and we need him. Seems like it will be a no brainer to bring him over.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah it's definitely time to move Marvin. We need a veteran SF that can knock down the 3pt shot and can take it to the hole without fumbling it away. I still think Marvin will be a good player but he's not a "money" player and I pray we aren't the team that makes the mistake and overpays for him. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Dolfan, you know that's not going to happen. He's younger and just as good as Childress, and also has one year left on his deal.

If anything, we need to be discussing S&T deals for Childress. You look at moving Marvin next offseason.

Quote:

The inability to be mentally prepared and execute on the road is on the coaching staff. It's shocking how inept the team looked today in the biggest game of most of these guys' careers. Obviously, Woodson isn't cutting it.

I am proud of what the team has done this series. However, this series proves a few undeniable facts. 1. We're too talented to have finished with just 37 wins. 2. Woodson is not the coach to take us to the next level.

Don't renew Woods contract, I'm fine with that. Truthfully I was only shocked at how bad Horford played. He really is the only one to ever play in any big games. Josh Smith came straight from high school and never played in college. He never played in big games...ever. JJ was JJ, and I'm a little suprised at Bibby. He doesn't have that big time player in him anymore.

• Premium Member

But I highly doubt that we would get any value for Chillz though. I love his energy and his play around the basket, but I don't see anyone doing a sign and trade with us that would net us anything of value.

Quote:

Yeah it's definitely time to move Marvin. We need a veteran SF that can knock down the 3pt shot and can take it to the hole without fumbling it away. I still think Marvin will be a good player but he's not a "money" player and I pray we aren't the team that makes the mistake and overpays for him. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. [/quote

Dolfan, you know that's not going to happen. He's younger and just as good as Childress, and also has one year left on his deal.

If anything, we need to be discussing S&T deals for Childress. You look at moving Marvin next offseason.

I disagree, Marvin was the only player playing hard and was playing with heart in Game 7. He also plays damn good defense and that was with a bad leg. You might not like Marvin but he was our best player in Game 6 and 7.

You can't get much for Childress by himself just as you can't for Smith because they are both BYC players. The only way to get a good player in trade for Childress, Smith, or Marvin will be to include a big contract like Bibby or Speedy (if possible).

Not to mention I am tired of 1). seeing Marvin fumble the ball and 2). reading the endless complaints by the "fans" of this team regarding Marvin.

Quote:

When has a team this young EVER performed this well in the playoffs, must less taken the best team in the league to 7 games? Look how bad Philly got beaten down by the Pistons and yet Mo Cheeks was considered for coach of the year. They are in the same situation as us. I'm not advocating Woody coming back but you can't COMPLETELY blame him for the players laying an egg today.

I'm not blaming him for everything that went wrong today. Obviously, he can't physically put the ball in the basket for these guys. But it's a pattern we've seen all year long. Big game on the road and the team not just loses, they look lost and barely compete. The coaches have to find a way to get their team prepared on the road, and this team is NEVER prepared. Hell, one of our measly 12 road wins came after we were down 21 to the friggin' Timberwolves!