• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's overhaul for the Hawks...

Diesel

Quote:

Brand is an excellent shot blocker and a MUCH better positional defender than Smoove is. He would also park his butt down in the paint and go to work there. Both he and Horford have reliable enough mid-range jumpers that they would both have plenty of room to operate with clogging up the paint. If there was a way to get Brand here we would have to strongly consider it IMO.

I know Elton is a better on ball defender thats why I mentioned it in my post. With the knowledge that Smoove most likely won't be traded with the rule prohibiting it this debate is closed. If it was possible to trade Smoove the only player I would want is Amare. Thats not going to happen and Smoove isn't going anywhere so the fans who don't like it just will have to get over it(not saying you are one of those fans).

I would take A.I for one season over Bibby Diesel. Phillips would be rockin and he also would be able to penatrate and score or dish better than Bibby. In the past I would say Bibby had the better range but from what I saw from Bibby last season he doesn't even have that over A.I. The most important thing to remember is he would be off the book after next season. With his contract and craig's gone the Hawks will be able to re-up JJ and bring in more help wherever needed.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Brand is an excellent shot blocker and a MUCH better positional defender than Smoove is. He would also park his butt down in the paint and go to work there. Both he and Horford have reliable enough mid-range jumpers that they would both have plenty of room to operate with clogging up the paint. If there was a way to get Brand here we would have to strongly consider it IMO.

I know Elton is a better on ball defender thats why I mentioned it in my post. With the knowledge that Smoove most likely won't be traded with the rule prohibiting it this debate is closed. If it was possible to trade Smoove the only player I would want is Amare. Thats not going to happen and Smoove isn't going anywhere so the fans who don't like it just will have to get over it(not saying you are one of those fans).

I would take A.I for one season over Bibby Diesel. Phillips would be rockin and he also would be able to penatrate and score or dish better than Bibby. In the past I would say Bibby had the better range but from what I saw from Bibby last season he doesn't even have that over A.I. The most important thing to remember is he would be off the book after next season. With his contract and craig's gone the Hawks will be able to re-up JJ and bring in more help wherever needed.

Yeah, I see getting AI as a win win.

Denver is not going to do much with AI. Plus they get a young Marvin who they could make into a PF. By Midseason, they could trade Bibby's contract for players.

Us, we get the fan draw of Allen Iverson! His penetrating offense.

The only problem is that regardless of how well we do, we can't get caught up in trying to resign him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Why the heck do you guys want to trade Josh Smith?

Most people don't. However, the following factors lead some people to throw trade ideas out there:

(1) There is a history of Woodson and Smith not getting along and now it looks like Woodson is returning as head coach. I favor keeping Smith regardless of what you do with Woodson.

(2) Smith's best position is PF and that is also Horford's best position, although he has exceeded my expectations as a C.

(3) Smith still has things to work on in his game, particularly shot selection, positional defense and TOs.

(4) Smith is going to get interest from other teams and it is unclear what the right salary figure is for him. With Horford, people are less excited about overpaying for Josh Smith.

As I said in my original post, I would be perfectly happy with building around our core. I still consider Smoove to be our 2nd best player (though I think Horford may very well pass him one day).

That said, IF we make a significant change to the roster, I think Smoove almost has to be involved as I think JJ and Horford are virtually untradeable and no one else other than Smoove has enough value at the moment to give us an All Star caliber player in return.

Trying to use assets for multiple assets to build bench.

1) Smith for Biedrins+azubuke (all 3 need to S&T)

2) Marvin and filler for Calderon (think marvin would work straight up)

3) Bibby + 2010 1st for Mike Miller+Critt (or lowry)

4) Diop for MLE if at all possible cap wise

PG - Calderon/Law/Critt

SG - Joe/Buke/Critt

SF - Miller/Childress

PF - Horford / Jones

C - Biedrins / Diop / Pachulia

Roster Fill - West, Richardson, Speedy

I think this would put the team at 70-74m rough estimate, meaning we would have to let pach $4m to expire at end of year and hope speedy retires $6m for 2009, put us at like 64-68m for 2009/10.

I don't see the ASG paying the luxury tax to sign the likes of Kurt Thomas and Jarvis Hayes. We would have to look at other alternatives at the backup spots. For the rest of it though, it would depend on what Brand would sign for. Assuming he signs a deal starting at $12M a season, our payroll next year would look like this:

Bibby - $15.2M

JJ - $14.2M

Brand - $12M

Chillz $6M

Speedy - $5.8M

Marv - $5.6M

Al - $4M

Zaza - $4M

Acie - $2M

Solo - $ .8M

That would put us at $69.6M for 10 players. The team would have to sign 3 more players at the vet minimum to fill out the roster. If we assume that the luxury tax threshold is going to be around $70M, luxury tax would be an issue. If the luxury tax comes in at around $72M, they might be able to pull it off. Of course this is the issue we are going to face anyway if the team sticks to its plans od resigning both Chillz and Smoove.

Quote:

OK, My turn:

1st Trade
:

JSmith, Acie, Bibby.

FOR

Iverson, Anthony Carter and 1st round pick

2nd Trade
:

1st round pick to Memphis

FOR

Javaris

3rd trade
:

Marvin

FOR

SNT Maggette

AI/Javaris/Anthony Carter

JJ/AI/Childress

Maggette/Childress/JJ

Horford/??

Zaza/Solomon

ok your turn to stop also.The trade as a whole is dumb and even worse for proposing to trade Acie.just dumb.

I'm not a fan of trading Brand for Smoove. We need to keep Smoove and hope he becomes a superstar, that is our best chance of going to the finals. I do like your idea of bringing in Jarvis who has a good all around game. He would give us a scoring threat off the bench. I'm not sure how much Diop will cost, but that move would be an improvement too. I still like the idea of bring in Mutumbo for a cheap big man.

Quote:

Quote:

Just wanna chime in here that you didnt say AI was a better defender than Bibby, you said he was a
great
defender.

Thats a pretty big difference.

I was saying it in relation to what we have.

So is Iverson a "great" fan draw? Or just in relation to Bibby.

Give it up man. Admit you were simply overselling AI and absolutley 100% wrong about calling him a great defender. You could get a thousand people to read that post and not one would think you meant "in relation to Bibby".

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just wanna chime in here that you didnt say AI was a better defender than Bibby, you said he was a
great
defender.

Thats a pretty big difference.

I was saying it in relation to what we have.

So is Iverson a "great" fan draw? Or just in relation to Bibby.

Give it up man. Admit you were simply overselling AI and absolutley 100% wrong about calling him a great defender. You could get a thousand people to read that post and not one would think you meant "in relation to Bibby".

Both.

IN Atlanta, Iverson usually draws large crowds.