• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stein Reports Lindsey is out

hussamga

Located under tonights daily dime..

NEW ORLEANS -- The Atlanta Hawks' search for a new general manager lost perhaps its most prominent target Monday when San Antonio Spurs assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey withdrew his name from contention.

Lindsey is in his first full season in San Antonio after spending 11 seasons with the Houston Rockets and has been reluctant to entertain outside interest after just 11 months with his new team in a new city. He was also pursued by the Milwaukee Bucks late in the regular season before the Bucks hired longtime Detroit Pistons executive John Hammond as their new front-office chief.

ESPN.com reported Friday that the Hawks had established an initial list of four candidates in their search to replace outgoing general manager Billy Knight. They are Portland Trail Blazers personnel scout John Gabriel, Washington Wizards vice president of basketball administration Tommy Sheppard and Boston Celtics assistant general manager Dave Wohl, in addition to Lindsey.

"Mr. Gearon has been terrific throughout the whole process and I greatly appreciate the Hawks' interest," Lindsey said Monday, referring to Hawks part-owner Michael Gearon Jr.

"Because of family considerations and professional considerations, I've decided to stay in San Antonio."

Lindsey is widely considered future GM material after his long stint with the Rockets and his move to San Antonio as the top aide to Spurs senior vice president/general manager R.C. Buford.

After winning three championships in the past five seasons, San Antonio has been repeatedly raided for executives in recent years. The Spurs moved in quickly for Lindsey last June after Seattle (Sam Presti) and Cleveland (Danny Ferry) had hired away two of Buford's more recent assistants.

Sources close to the process say that Knight -- widely expected to be fired after the Hawks were eliminated from the playoffs -- actually had the opportunity to stay with the Hawks on a one-year contract. But Knight elected to step down effective July 1 and is reportedly a candidate in New York to work alongside new Knicks president Donnie Walsh.

The fast-rising Sheppard -- who works as a lead assistant to Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld and was a finalist in Seattle for the job that went to Presti -- is also believed to be a candidate in New York.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/526...in_san_antonio/

Notebook: Spurs assistant GM says he's staying

Web Posted: 05/20/2008 12:24 AM CDT

By Mike Monroe

mikemonroe@express-news.net

NEW ORLEANS — Spurs assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey on Monday withdrew his name from consideration for the open general manager job in Atlanta.

Lindsey’s name had been on a short list of candidates to replace Hawks general manager Billy Knight, who resigned May 7 — days after the Hawks were eliminated by the Celtics in Game 7 of their first-round playoff series.

“I decided to withdraw my name from the interview process,” Lindsey said before the Spurs played the Hornets in Game 7. “It came down to family considerations, and the fact I’m just very happy with the Spurs and in San Antonio.”

Lindsey joined the Spurs in summer 2007 after spending 11 seasons with the Houston Rockets, where he was the Rockets’ vice president of basketball operations. The Spurs hired him to replace Sam Presti after Presti left to become general manager of the Seattle SuperSonics.

Sad news... He was my top choice. Can't blame him for not wanting to move his family twice in one year, and out of the state of Texas where they've lived for so long.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lindsay had concerns regarding our ownership (who wouldn't) and Gearon's influence on personnel decisions, namely the decisions to keep Woody and perhaps the Joshes. We'll likely never know the full story but Lindsay took some time before withdrawing his name -- unlike Petrie who said no immediately -- so it's possible he entertained the thought before learning more about the Hawks organization....

Quote:

Sad news... He was my top choice. Can't blame him for not wanting to move his family twice in one year, and out of the state of Texas where they've lived for so long.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lindsay had concerns regarding our ownership (who wouldn't) and Gearon's influence on personnel decisions, namely the decisions to keep Woody and perhaps the Joshes. We'll likely never know the full story but Lindsay took some time before withdrawing his name -- unlike Petrie who said no immediately -- so it's possible he entertained the thought before learning more about the Hawks organization....

I bet some of those GM candidates have called BK, to get find out how it was working for the ASG.Bk may be telling his horror stories, and scaring GM's away.

I bet some of those GM candidates have called BK, to get find out how it was working for the ASG.Bk may be telling his horror stories, and scaring GM's away.

Don't know that I agree with this. I'm sure how he was perceived by basketball execs was different than what the public saw. But he did not avail himself of being real accessable.

I'm sure the ASG have fears of this happening: their business being done out in the open and everyone turns them down making them look like baffoons.

I can see that many are already jumping to conclusions on this when they don't know the facts. Dennis Lindsey is a Texas guy. He was born and raised there, got his degree from Baylor, and worked for the Houston Rockets. I even read an article the other day where he said he will always be a Houston Rocket. It's pretty obvious to me that the Houston job is the one he's holding out for at some point, and he probably doesn't feel Daryl Morley will last very long as the GM there.

Personally, I think the new GM will probably end up being John Gabriel.

• Premium Member

Could be what Lindsey says it is...

But we all know this... more often than not, when publicly recognized candidates begin to drop out voluntarily, it's common to find that a new hire is announced soon after... in other words, no one likes to be considered the runner-up (or something less).

Quote:

Good point. It is very possible that ASG has already done the interviews and the work behind the scenes and will announce a new GM soon.

Personally, I think they are hiring John Gabriel.

Just as long as Hawks fans can forgive him for passing on Chris Paul and Deron Williams for Martiel Webster.

Quote:

Quote:

Good point. It is very possible that ASG has already done the interviews and the work behind the scenes and will announce a new GM soon.

Just as long as Hawks fans can forgive him for passing on Chris Paul and Deron Williams for Martiel Webster.

Well at least he had a better excuse than BK.

Portland had just drafted Telfare straight out of highschool the year before.

Also they had Nick Van Exel and Damon Stoudamire on their roster.Point guard was not a "need' for them.That's why noone talks about Portland passing on Paul and Deron.They didn't need a pg.

Everyone knew the Hawks needed a pg. That;s why we're the only team that gets slammed for passing on them.

Quote:

John Gabriel didn't make that pick. John Nash was the Portland GM at that time.

Well he was their head of scouting wasnt he? Honestly I dont know for sure if he was or not but if he was.... . Usually the gm takes what the head of scouting says in high account before making a pick. Especially a high school kid.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well at least he had a better excuse than BK.

Portland had just drafted Telfare straight out of highschool the year before.

Also they had Nick Van Exel and Damon Stoudamire on their roster.Point guard was not a "need' for them.That's why noone talks about Portland passing on Paul and Deron.They didn't need a pg.

Everyone knew the Hawks needed a pg. That;s why we're the only team that gets slammed for passing on them. I dont what is scarier. The fact that he picked WEbster who is a complete bust over those 2 point guards or the fact that he didnt pick them because he had Telfair.

Quote:

Nope. In fact, I don't even think Gabriel was with the organization at that time. John Nash was the GM, and Scott Pritchard was the scouting director.

Well if he wasnt then that clears his name of that mess. However he did make alot of bad picks in Orlando. I think most of the time his teams were good there though. I wonder if he has enough pull to make asg reconsider the fact that a new coach could get more out of this team. I mean would he accept the job if he has to keep Woody? Gabriel has alot of experiance, he may shy away just like Lindsey did if he sees its a bad working envirement.

Quote:

John Gabriel didn't make that pick. John Nash was the Portland GM at that time.

That is correct.

I remember reading about portland's draft room at the time of the Telfair pick. apparently everyone agreed that Jefferson should be the pick. When Telfair's name was announced they looked around stunned. Nash slammed his fist on the table saying Telfair is my pick.

The strange thing is that they had a pick later in the first round that probably could have landed Telfair.

Telfair probably doomed Nash just like Marvin doomed BK. They could have had Jefferson/Paul with those two picks but wound up with Telfair/Webster.

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. In fact, I don't even think Gabriel was with the organization at that time. John Nash was the GM, and Scott Pritchard was the scouting director.

Well if he wasnt then that clears his name of that mess. However he did make alot of bad picks in Orlando. I think most of the time his teams were good there though. I wonder if he has enough pull to make asg reconsider the fact that a new coach could get more out of this team. I mean would he accept the job if he has to keep Woody? Gabriel has alot of experiance, he may shy away just like Lindsey did if he sees its a bad working envirement.

He also made some good picks and great personnel decisions there. John Gabriel took over for Pat Williams in Orlando before the 1993 draft. He engineered the trade that sent Chris Webber to Golden State for Penny Hardaway and three first round draft picks. I also give him a lot of credit for blowing up that team in 1998 and building a competitive team with a bunch of hard working players like Darrell Armstrong, Bo Outlaw, and Ben Wallace. His decision to make a run at Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Tim Duncan was a good one, and he lost out on getting Duncan.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He also made some good picks and great personnel decisions there. John Gabriel took over for Pat Williams in Orlando before the 1993 draft. He engineered the trade that sent Chris Webber to Golden State for Penny Hardaway and three first round draft picks. I also give him a lot of credit for blowing up that team in 1998 and building a competitive team with a bunch of hard working players like Darrell Armstrong, Bo Outlaw, and Ben Wallace. His decision to make a run at Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Tim Duncan was a good one, and he lost out on getting Duncan.

Was he the guy that traded a gimpy broken down Penny Hardaway to the Suns for 2 first round picks?