• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bucks open to trading pick.

exodus

Right, as I mentioned in another post, I have been reading way too many Federal regulations today.

So the lineup would be:

Law

Redd

JJ

Smith

Horford

I can go with that

I'd still only see them interested in doing that deal if they plan on moving Mo. There's no way you want to tie up that much money in PG's with one of them riding the pine (see Claxton, Craig "Speedy").

I'd be happy with us dealing Bibby/Marvin for Redd/Charlie V, but I'd still want us to go out and sign someone like Delonte West to give us someone with a little more experience than Law. Even if Law started, I'd feel more comfortable with another proven hand to back him up.

I could live with:

West or Law

Redd

JJ

Smith

Horford

I think it's better than what we've got now since Bibby is so doggone inconsistent.

Quote:

I'd still only see them interested in doing that deal if they plan on moving Mo. There's no way you want to tie up that much money in PG's with one of them riding the pine (see Claxton, Craig "Speedy").

I'd be happy with us dealing Bibby/Marvin for Redd/Charlie V, but I'd still want us to go out and sign someone like Delonte West to give us someone with a little more experience than Law. Even if Law started, I'd feel more comfortable with another proven hand to back him up.

I could live with:

West or Law

Redd

JJ

Smith

Horford

I think it's better than what we've got now since Bibby is so doggone inconsistent.

We will have to sign another pg no matter what we do. We can't go into the season with only 2 pgs. We obviously can't count on Speedy.

No . . you don't trade Chill or Marvin for one of these young draft picks that's not Beasley, Rose, or Mayo.

Cost is only an issue for this year, and it's really not that big of an issue this year.

Next year, Bibby and ZaZa will surely be gone, knocking over 19 million off the payroll. Even if a guy like ZaZa is retained, he may or may not make more than 4 million per year during his next contract starting in 2009, if he's even here at all. And if cost is an issue for the ASG going into next year, I can easily see the Hawks just keeping Bibby the entire year, and letting that money fall right off the books, instead of using Bibby to bring in more pieces. That move will free up enough money to possibly deal with JJ after 2010 season.

This is just my projected 2009 - 10 payroll, from the guys that we'll probably have on the team if we re-sign Chill and Smoove. Also remember that we may very well do with Marvin, what we did with Chill and Smoove , and just let the market dictate what they are worth when he becomes an RFA in 2009. Right now, I don't see Marvin getting anything over a 5 year - 40 or 45 million deal. So I'll say his number will be 8.5 million with a new contract after next summer.

2009 - 10 squad:

JJ - 15 million ( last year of contract )

Smith - 11 million ( new contract )

Marvin - 8.5 million?

Chill - 6.5 million ( new contract )

Speedy - 5.2 million ( last year of contract )

Horford - 4.3 million ( 1st year of team option )

Andersen - 3 million ?

Law - 2.2 million ( 1st year of team option )

'09 First round pick - 1.7 million ( hopefully we're good enough that we're picking somewhere in the 20s )

'09 Second round pick - 600K

If those are the numbers for those 10 guys going into 2009, you're looking at the Hawks payroll being somewhere around 58 million, not counting who we pick up as a free agent to fill out the rest of the roster.

If you count the additional roster spots, I guess we might be between 62 - 65 million. Even if Smith gets a Max deal, I can see our total payroll in 09 - 10 being somewhere in the 64 - 69 million range. We'll be over the cap, but still not in luxury tax land.

Regardless of what we do, our payroll should be lower going into the 09 - 10 season, than it will be going into the 08 - 09 season.

If cost isn't an issue, then this team won't mind going a little into luxury tax land, as long as we have a East contender type team on the court. And that's a good thing.

If Marvin doesn't improve there's no way he's getting an $8.5M contract... even the MLE would be generous...

As for the Bucks trade... it's no secret that they need a SF and have for some time. I'd give them Marvin and/or Bibby for the #8 pick, but they'd ask us to take back one of their contracts... I don't want Moe Williams (contract, Acie blocker) or Bobby Simmons (contract) and certainly not Michael Redd whose contract would kill us and he duplicates what JJ already does...

Maybe if they were willing to do Villanueva & Bell in the trade I'd go for it but those are actually two of their more reasonable contracts. Ultimately I think they'll be looking for more cap relief then we'd like to provide if they're going to give up the pick. I don't have a realGM account but they have a thread over there discussing trading the pick, so maybe someone who does could suggest a deal involving Marvin to gauge the interest?

• Premium Member

Quote:

If Marvin doesn't improve there's no way he's getting an $8.5M contract... even the MLE would be generous...

Tim Thomas got 6 yrs, $60M, I believe.

There will be teams with $$$ to spend, and someone will gamble on Marvin's potential.

Quote:

That is ridiculous. Is there some law somewhere that says we can't have two 20 pt scorers?

Redd plays no defense and needs to have the ball in his hands be effective. He's a good shooter and terrific offensive player but JJ would have to move to the SF position, where we couldn't use his size to post smaller guards, and he'd also have to guard the other teams best player since Redd won't do that. We need to solidify positions and roles on this team, not add new issues...

He wouldn't be a bad addition if his salary was in the $8M range but at $14.5M for like 4 years he would kill us since we already have that position locked up with our best player. Also, while he's a very good player he's not the superstar that would justify overspending and creating another positional logjam...

Quote:

...Checking out their board on RealGM the small forward spot is a big priority with them. They have a lengthy thread about it right now. Both Childress and Marvin have been mentioned. Here is the opening post.

Quote:

I think upgrading the SF position in the offseason is one of our bigger priorities, and Hammond has said so as well. However, there a few issues:

1. This is a horrible SF draft, probably the weakest position

2. We have about $15M committed to Mason and Simmons for next year

So what do we do? Assuming we do not draft Gallinari, which is the only SF I see going in the lottery right now (unless you count Randolph as one, and he's more of a SF/PF), we're looking at either a trade or using the MLE.

Looking at the FA list, here is some guys I think we could obtain with the MLE:

Childress

Pietrus

D. Wright

Gomes

Wells

That's essentially it. Of those guys the only one that I think is a major upgrade is Childress, but would be happy adding any of them to the roster.

The next is trades. What starting caliber small forwards are available and what would it take to land them?

We've talked about Carmelo and RJ, probably the two most talented guys that might be on the block, what does it take to land these guys?

What about Battier? Could we get Battier/Reed for Mo?

Josh Howard for Redd?

Mo/CV for Marvin Williams/Law?

I think we need to make a move at this position. Simmons/Mason is not cutting it. What direction would you like to see?

Plus the Bucks aren't all that smart (generally speaking)...they might make a dumb deal shhh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

That is ridiculous. Is there some law somewhere that says we can't have two 20 pt scorers?

Redd plays no defense and needs to have the ball in his hands be effective. He's a good shooter and terrific offensive player but JJ would have to move to the SF position, where we couldn't use his size to post smaller guards, and he'd also have to guard the other teams best player since Redd won't do that. We need to solidify positions and roles on this team, not add new issues...

He wouldn't be a bad addition if his salary was in the $8M range but at $14.5M for like 4 years he would kill us since we already have that position locked up with our best player. Also, while he's a very good player he's not the superstar that would justify overspending and creating another positional logjam...

I keep hearing about Redds poor defense but i think that is exaggerated just like with Nash. Last season Redds Roland Rating bests anything any current Hawk has ever done.

http://www.82games.com/0607/0607MIL.HTM

Yes JJ would have to move to the 3 but he wouldn't be getting the constant doubles he is seeing now. If they put a bigger guy on him he can beat them off the dribble easily.

While Redd isn't a superstar neither is JJ. However i would say that Redd is the best player we could conceivably get without giving up Smith or Horford.