• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Do We Feel Now?

khaos7

It's been weeks since Boston eliminated us in an improbable 7 game series. ATL was rocking. Joe showed the world why he was an All-Star. Horford proved to the NBA that he was a blossoming beast. Josh Smith showed glimpes of being an athletic game changing freak. People had high hopes.

But now...

Billy Knight (to the applause of many) has stepped down from the GM post. People wonder if we should do a sign and trade with Dallas (or another team) that includes Josh Smith. Much speculation centers around the ASG's willingness to spend money. People are afraid that Michael Gearon will actually be the GM and that the new hire will merely be a figure head. Fans seem bent on seeing Woody get axed. Will Horford play a more prominent role next year, in the offense?

On Memorial Day, 05/26/08, how do you feel about our direction? Have the good feelings of the playoffs passed (as Sekou Smith intimated in the AJC's blog)? Or are you still optimistic that this team will thrive next year? As we anxiously await the Hawk's GM hire, I figure it would be nice to hear if the good of the playoffs have passed.

Game 7: I would have been okay with keeping Woody.

Now: I would like Avery Johnson.

Game 7: I was as pissed off at Marvin as I've ever been.

Now: Let's give him a little more time.

Game 7: I was wondering whether we should trade Josh Smith for a center.

Now: We need his defense but I wonder should we trade him because I get the feeling he doesn't do what he's being taught.

Game 7: Thought next year would be very good.

Now: Still think next year will be very good.

Game 7: Billy Knight is far from perfect.

Now: No GM is.

• Premium Member

Joe: I have all the respect in the world for JJ. He needs help.

Horford: I look forward to steady improvement for Horf. He is our Godfather. I think he will be a future allstar.

Smoove: Well, unless he develops his Sf skills, I don't see the neccessity of spending a lot of money on him. We need him to be more slasher or more positional defender. No doubt, he will get paid. However, he needs these things:

1. Coachable.

2. Slasher

3. BBIQ development.

GM: Hiring Chris Grant is going to be a big time mistake. We need an experienced team builder.

After game 7 I was high on the team and its future.

Now my stance has not changed though I'll be alot better once we know Smith and Chillz fate in FA.

I would love to see Chills and Smoove resigned. I would love to see David Anderson brought in.

I want to the same core of players (Bibby, JJ, Marvin, Smith, Hoford, Chills, Law, even ZaZa) enter the season as a cohesive unit. They should hit the ground runningthis year as other teams sort through chemistry issues with new roster additions and rookies.

No major trades until the allstar break to gage the growth of Smith, Horford and Marvin. Time to gage Bibby's impact on a full regualr season and see how Law matures.

I am patient to see how things play out. If the season is shaky then (Bibby, ZaZa, and Marvin have expiring deals that will be very tradeabe.

The last thing I want is to trade talent for draft picks. We don't need to get any younger.

The last thing i want to is trade Josh Smith. I still believe he and Hprford can work fine together. Especially if ZaZa or David Anderson step up as key contributors off the bench.

• Premium Member

I'm optimistic that we'll be much better next season. We'll have a healthy Bibby from the start of next season. The ASG has indicated that they WILL do what it takes to retain the services of the Joshes. Marvin, Hortford, Smoove, and Law should continue to improve. Andersen is coming over which should help our half court offense. We have playoff experience under our belt(s), and it looks like our team is hungry for more. Their response to the raucous and enthusiastic crowd at Phillips showed me that they can play with any team in the league when they are on their respective games. This will be the FIRST time that this young team will come into a season with high hopes and the confidence and experience to back it up. As long as the ASG keeps their word, we should be fine. grin.gif

Quote:

It's been weeks since Boston eliminated us in an improbable 7 game series. ATL was rocking. Joe showed the world why he was an All-Star. Horford proved to the NBA that he was a blossoming beast. Josh Smith showed glimpes of being an athletic game changing freak. People had high hopes.

But now...

Billy Knight (to the applause of many) has stepped down from the GM post. People wonder if we should do a sign and trade with Dallas (or another team) that includes Josh Smith. Much speculation centers around the ASG's willingness to spend money. People are afraid that Michael Gearon will actually be the GM and that the new hire will merely be a figure head. Fans seem bent on seeing Woody get axed. Will Horford play a more prominent role next year, in the offense?

On Memorial Day, 05/26/08, how do you feel about our direction? Have the good feelings of the playoffs passed (as Sekou Smith intimated in the AJC's blog)? Or are you still optimistic that this team will thrive next year? As we anxiously await the Hawk's GM hire, I figure it would be nice to hear if the good of the playoffs have passed.

There is so much up in the air that it's difficult to say. I fear that there will not be any sustantial changes, but rather there will be a white wash over the shaky foundation we have.

Oh, Joe existed alright. The thing is..teams could get away with double/triple teaming Joe because we have no consistent shooters. Around the time we got Bibby, Marvin's jumpshot was somewhat broke. After a few weeks, Bibby's jumpshot was broke, too. I think unless we get a legitimate second option (a la Michael Redd etc.) that teams will respect, most coaches are going to double team Joe and make the rest of our team beat them. I always thought playing like Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams could be ran off screens much more than they are. I always thought you could run a pick-and-roll with Al and Josh Smith much more often. Everytime I watch Josh Smith, I think 'If this guy learns to move without the basketball, instead of hanging at the 3 point line, he'd be tough.'

Right now, I think we have too many athletes and not enough basketball players. Although we had a good showing in the playoffs, I'm worried if we're going to make the right moves to be competitive next year. Believe me, the Eastern Conference is going to be significantly better next year. Are we going to make the right moves to keep up ? or are we going to rest on our asses and hope the players we have make drastic leaps ?

Quote:

Believe me, the Eastern Conference is going to be significantly better next year. Are we going to make the right moves to keep up ? or are we going to rest on our asses and hope the players we have make drastic leaps ?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I firmly believe that this team needs 7 things to get over the hump:

1) A defensive-minded backup Center

2) A consistent shooter off the bench (that WILL get playing time)

3) A better coach

4) A deeper and more vet-laden bench

5) And a firm decision on whether to move Al to the 4 or keep him at the 5

6) A GM who wont be handcuffed to make the right moves

7) A different ownership group

Since #7 aint happening anytime soon, all the others can be addressed rather easily. I hold firm to my belief that we thoroughly underachieved in the regular season and overachieved in the playoffs [at home]. Our team cannot survive with soft Zaza being oyur main Center off the bench. Andersen will be nice, but he doesnt play much defense either. We have to address that. We also need a consistent shooter. I was hoping Marvin can be that, and maybe with better coaching and some new moves and greater aggressiveness from him, maybe it can happen. Until then, Joe will continue to struggle when confronted with double and triple teams. We definitely need an upgrade at Head Coach. Anyone who is thinks we should keep Woodson because of his "performance" in the playoffs isn't looking at that performance very clearly. Sad to say, I dont think the ASG will let the GM not retain Woody...We also need vets here. I am so tired of so many usinmg the excuse that we are a young team. Maybe with our "inspired" and overachieving performance in the playoffs, we can attract some vets here. Al is a beast, but I dont think he can play Center full time and ever develop into the full beast we think he can be. If he moves to the 4, that means someone between Marv and JSmoove will be out of a starting position...And finally, I have already alluded to the GM situation. With the ASG's propensity to micromanage, I fully expect the new GM to be nothing more than a figurehead. However, if he comes in and wants Woody gone, then, and only then, will my stance on that change.

We were a largely underachieving team that overachieved when the playoffs (and no expectations) descended upon our Hawks. This team has a lot of promise...it just needs to make the right moves to get significantly better. If we are waiting around and hinging our bets on our young talent making huge leaps in order to push us over the top, without making significant changes to the roster or personnel, we will probably hang around .500 once again.

Just calling it as I see it...

Quote:

I've kinda gotten off the whole Joe Johnson is great band wagon. He had a terrifc game sure, but lets not forgot all those regular season games where he was non-existant.

He sure was nonexistent in march..... oh wait he won NBA Player of the Month in March. never mind.

I believe the Spirit has lost some of the capital it gained from the playoff series with Boston. Not all of it, but enough to make those of us who felt leary about this coming offseason, to not feel much better. My guess is they sign Smith, bring Andersen over, and get a non-descript veteren free agent for the bench to say "look we brought a vet in for Joe."

Although Billy made bad draft decisions, the biggest problem the Hawks has had over the past few years is really the Atlanta Spirit group.

Quote:

OMG he won player of the month when no one was playing serious, that makes up for all those non-existence games he had.

This is so stupid.

JJ led the team in scoring EVERY MONTH THIS SEASON.

Secondly the Hawks went 9-8 in march so they must really suck if all the other teams weren't trying.

Quote:

But now...

Good idea for a thread, khaos. Nice work....

Myself, I feel.....bleh. The high of the playoffs has faded away, and right now I feel disappointed and a little bleak. I feel like we had an opportunity to make such great changes this offseason with BK stepping down, and a real shot to get rid of Woodson too. But as we all know the GM search has not gone too swimmingly, the initial pool of intriguing candidates having shrunk down to one guy, just like that- and that one guy being a person we are all familiar with, and who also happens to have a history with the man he's trying to replace. And then there are the indications that the ASG is trying to run things on the cheap, and that one of their criteria for hiring a GM is that he'll work for cheap. That's highly disturbing, to say the very least. Actually, it's pretty sickening. And it looks like Woodson may have somehow managed to slip the noose for yet another year. Maybe that's because he works for cheap too. Who knows, but I will terribly disappointed if Woody is allowed to come back.

So those things put a downer feeling to this offseason for me. The team however, I'm excited about. We've got some real talent here, and much of it has only just begun to scratch the surface. I feel the team as a whole has great upward potential, I just wish they had a coach better equipped to help them maximize all that potential.