• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The question of all questions...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is this league (decade) better than decades before.

Here's the challenge.

2000s

1990s

1980s

1970s

1960s

1950s

Give me your best 5 from any era (or all eras) and make a claim that one is the best.

For a hint...

IN the 1950s you had The Celtics.

In the 60s you had Chamberlain, Russel

In the 70s you had Kareem, Robertson

In the 80s you usher in Magic, Bird.

In the 90s you have Jordan, Hakeem

IN 2000s you have well, you know.

What's the best time for Basketball?

Is this it?

• Moderators

The best basketball I have seen in my lifetime is the 80's basketball. The Bulls, in particular, in the 90s would have been competitive in the 80s for sure but I am also factoring in the fact that the league allowed excessive grabbing, holding, etc. in the 90s that damaged the quality of the basketball product in that decade, IMO.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The best basketball I have seen in my lifetime is the 80's basketball. The Bulls, in particular, in the 90s would have been competitive in the 80s for sure but I am also factoring in the fact that the league allowed excessive grabbing, holding, etc. in the 90s that damaged the quality of the basketball product in that decade, IMO.

Give me your top 5 from the 80s...

I'm almost in agreement with you.

90's

Stocton -- Payton

Jordan --Drexler

Pippen --G.Hill

Malone -- Barkely

Hakeem -- Robinson --Shaq --Ewing

80's

Magic -- Zek

Jordan -- Dumars

Bird -- Nique -dantley -Mullin

Mchale-- Barkely- Chambers

Hakeem-- Ewing

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Give me your top 5 from the 80s...

I'm almost in agreement with you.

For the 80s...

Magic Johnson

Michael Jordan

Larry Bird

Charles Barkley

Moses Malone (by a small margin over 80s Kareem and Hakeem)

I thought the question of all questions is.....what is the meaning of life? But I'll go with your question, Diesel- actually it's a really good question. My answer would have to be that my favorite era of basketball was the '80s. That's when I came of age and really began to get into NBA basketball. That Lakers-Celtics rivalry was absolutely epic, but that wasn't the only one- I'm thinking Celtics-76ers in particular. Wowsahs, now that was a death rivalry.

And the game was so beautiful then, so free flowing and high scoring. None of the wrestling, clutching and grabbing that became so prevalent later on- and to me what really signified the end of that beautiful era of basketball was the rise of the Bad Boy Pistons in the late '80s. They were brutally effective, but their style of play was much more akin to that of a street mugging than the fast-paced up and down style of play seen so commonly in the '80s.

I regret missing the '70s though, when Dr. J was at his peak and guys like George Gervin and Rick Barry and Moses Malone and etc etc etc. were all at the apex of their careers. I miss seeing Dr. J at his peak in particular though- he is one of my favorite players of all time.

Any eras earlier than that, I really cannot say, because I have no frame of reference to judge them on. Obviously those eras featured some legendary players, but all that happened well before my time, so I can only go with what I know.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I thought the question of all questions is.....what is the meaning of life? But I'll go with your question, Diesel- actually it's a really good question. My answer would have to be that my favorite era of basketball was the '80s. That's when I came of age and really began to get into NBA basketball. That Lakers-Celtics rivalry was absolutely epic, but that wasn't the only one- I'm thinking Celtics-76ers in particular. Wowsahs, now that was a death rivalry.

And the game was so beautiful then, so free flowing and high scoring. None of the wrestling, clutching and grabbing that became so prevalent later on- and to me what really signified the end of that beautiful era of basketball was the rise of the Bad Boy Pistons in the late '80s. They were brutally effective, but their style of play was much more akin to that of a street mugging than the fast-paced up and down style of play seen so commonly in the '80s.

I regret missing the '70s though, when Dr. J was at his peak and guys like George Gervin and Rick Barry and Moses Malone and etc etc etc. were all at the apex of their careers. I miss seeing Dr. J at his peak in particular though- he is one of my favorite players of all time.

Any eras earlier than that, I really cannot say, because I have no frame of reference to judge them on. Obviously those eras featured some legendary players, but all that happened well before my time, so I can only go with what I know.

I think the 60's are hard to beat.

You're talking about Wilt, Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Bob Petit, Hal Greer, Sam Jones, Jerry Lucas... were all in their primes.

• Premium Member

What makes this a good question is that it's so easy to discount today's players because of "fundamentals".

However, best 5 from 2000- 2008...

Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Kidd..

What 5 from any era could play against this team?

Quote:

What makes this a good question is that it's so easy to discount today's players because of "fundamentals".

Maybe a 90's team of ... Payton , Jordan, pippen, Malone , and The Dream.

The matchups

Kidd vs Payton

Kobe vs Jordan

Lebron vs Pippen

Duncan vs Malone

Shaq vs Hakeem

Shaq always had problems with Hakeem on offense and defense,

4 out of the 5 90's guys were on the all defensive 1st team for most of their Careers.

I'll take the 90's team

But Ok D....I have always seen basketball as a team game. Granted there are always going to be the "stars"...but growing up near Indy I was always a "team guy"

Bird and Magic were team guys - winning was the main thing - I always thought Bird was the best basketball player - until I saw Magic play as a center in a championship game - that changed my mind.

The 80's without a doubt were the league's best era. The 90's Bulls would have won ZERO championships in the 80's. Contrastly, the 80 Hawks would have won at least two championships in the 90's (Even with Fratello as coach).

Magic/Isaiah

Jordan/Drexler

Bird/'Nique

Barkley/McAdoo

Jabbar/Malone

Quote:

I would take Paul over Kidd. His season this past year was better than any season Kidd has EVER had. But I guess if we're talking about the entire 00s than Kidd would probably have to be in there.

I would probably take the 80s at the top 10 or so players. But I think the 90s and 00s were deeper. I could be wrong though as I'm not extremely familiar with the 80s.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But Ok D....I have always seen basketball as a team game. Granted there are always going to be the "stars"...but growing up near Indy I was always a "team guy"

Bird and Magic were team guys - winning was the main thing - I always thought Bird was the best basketball player - until I saw Magic play as a center in a championship game - that changed my mind.

I watched both the team play and then individuals highlighted and then Stern's version. That's why I kinda liked the bad boys and the 2nd rendention of Detroit's championship team. Stern has overmarketed the NBA whereby it must have stars. In the 60s and 70s that wasn't the case. However, what are you to do after Jordan?

Quote:

Is this league (decade) better than decades before.

Here's the challenge.

2000s

1990s

1980s

1970s

1960s

1950s

Give me your best 5 from any era (or all eras) and make a claim that one is the best.

For a hint...

IN the 1950s you had The Celtics.

In the 60s you had Chamberlain, Russel

In the 70s you had Kareem, Robertson

In the 80s you usher in Magic, Bird.

In the 90s you have Jordan, Hakeem

IN 2000s you have well, you know.

What's the best time for Basketball?

Is this it?

Kidd, Jordan, Pippen, Garnett, and Hakeem.

Wow, not only does this team have potent scorers, but they are all great defenders. The 90s had a lot of great basketball players. However, I think once this decade is over and all the young players now have a few years to mature, they could field an awesome All-Decade team, too.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The 80's without a doubt were the league's best era.
The 90's Bulls would have won ZERO championships in the 80's.
Contrastly, the 80 Hawks would have won at least two championships in the 90's (Even with Fratello as coach).

Magic/Isaiah

Jordan/Drexler

Bird/'Nique

Barkley/McAdoo

Jabbar/Malone

It's hard to win over 70 games no matter who you are. I think the 90s Bulls with the triangle offense would have won a few championships in the 80s. I think we tend to overemphasize the Celtics and Lakers... The Pistons and Bulls would have owned them.