• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CRY and get it out of your SYSTEM

TheNorthCydeRises

Quote:

Quote:

You are missing something here. It isn't just about Woody. There is also a question about whether we have a real GM or a Gearon yes man. If Woody was gone that wouldn't be a question at all.

Which is why you didn't see me jumping up and down over the Sund hire.

See, one of the thing that people like Dolfan, coachX, and I have been talking about for a while, is "change . . just for the sake of change".

With all of this "potential" on the Hawks roster, you'd think at least one of those Asst GMs of playoff teams would jump at the chance to run the show themselves for another organization. But they didn't. Why?

When you look at Sund, he definitely has the experience. But why would he leave an organization like Seattle, especially a year after they obtain what could be the next great player in the NBA in Durant?

If he left Seattle because he didn't want to go through another rebuilding effort, fine.

But if he left Seattle because his job may have been in jeapordy with the new owners moving the Sonics to OK City, and he was willing to take whatever new offer came his way, then that's an issue in itself.

It could very well be that a guy like Sund was the ASG's 6th or 7th choice, after their other targets either publically or privately declined the opportunity to take the job.

Sund left Seattle because he was forced out of the GM role their a year ago. He was just a consultant this past season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Voted biggest waste of time thread posted here... Both a waste of time typing for the HOLIER THAN THOU Northcyde and a waste of time for the "Not as true of a fan" Siete...

Get over yourself!

It's not my fault that you're taking offense to what I'm saying. And I'm no better than any other fan. LOL @ holier than thou. Maybe a little more passionate, but definitely not holier. But I felt that what I had to say, had to be said. The fan base is so used to crying about everything, that it's hard to be positive about things around here.

I don't have a problem with the people who have a different opinion of mine. I have a problem with the people who are not going to support the team as much as they did last year, despite some of the strides we made last seson.

But they'll be back. They always come back. All it will take is a good start, a nice home win streak or a big time win over a great team, and they'll be right back on the Hawks bandwagon, passionate as ever.

Quote:

Quote:

Voted biggest waste of time thread posted here... Both a waste of time typing for the HOLIER THAN THOU Northcyde and a waste of time for the "Not as true of a fan" Siete...

Get over yourself!

It's not my fault that you're taking offense to what I'm saying. And I'm no better than any other fan. LOL @ holier than thou. Maybe a little more passionate, but definitely not holier. But I felt that what I had to say, had to be said. The fan base is so used to crying about everything, that it's hard to be positive about things around here.

I don't have a problem with the people who have a different opinion of mine. I have a problem with the people who are not going to support the team as much as they did last year, despite some of the strides we made last seson.

But they'll be back. They always come back. All it will take is a good start, a nice home win streak or a big time win over a great team, and they'll be right back on the Hawks bandwagon, passionate as ever.

So, you consider yourself more passionate due to what... Due to the fact that you wasted your time telling people to "cry and get it out of their system"... Who the hell are you? Are you supposed to be a father figure on here.... Am I supposed to ask you if I can use the bathroom next? Come on, man... This site was created so people with DIFFERENT OPINIONS can voice said opinions and create some competitive banter.... For you to FEEL obligated to tell people what they can and can't do shows that you feel like you're HOLIER THAN THOU.... Like I stated before, GET OVER YOURSELF! And if you're so sure that they will be back, then what the heck was the use in you're first post... Go ahead and cry because I know that you'll be back anyway? Gee thanks?

Everything positive that the team accomplishes is accompanied by a "yeah, but" with quite a few Hawks' "fans." If we make it to the NBA Finals next year and lose, it will be "yeah, but" they couldn't beat the best the West has to offer.

The "yeah, but" that gets me most though is the one associated with our 3 home wins in the playoffs this year. The "yeah, but" contingent wants to give ALL the credit for those wins to the "great crowd" and not to anything that Woody did. If the "great crowd" WAS the sole reason we won all 3 games at home, then all those folks who bought tickets and screamed their heads off are to blame for us not having a winning record in the first place. Where was this "great crowd" during the regular season when we won 25 of 41 home games while trying to improve our playoff seeding? The team won 25 of 41 at home despite playing SEVERAL home games where fans were cheering loudly FOR THE OTHER TEAM and BOOING LOUDLY when our players were doing good things! If the "great crowd" had showed up more than 4 or 5 times last year during the regular season, then just MAYBE we wouldn't have been playing the best team in the NBA in the first round of the playoffs IN THE FIRST PLACE!

It also KILLS me that people want to attack you for showing OPTIMISM about the upcoming season. Most of the posters who are objecting so loudly to your post are upset because you are "holier than thou" and "telling them how they should feel" when that is EXACTLY what they have been doing with regard to Woody being retained.

Quote:

Sund left Seattle because he was forced out of the GM role their a year ago. He was just a consultant this past season.

Thanks for telling me that. No wonder I wasn't excited about that hire. And that goes back to the question that many people have wondered over the years. How much has this ownership squabble really hampered us?

If the only guy we could hire was a GM that really wasn't a GM at the time, how do the coaches view our situation?

That's why I love this team so much. They have everything under the sun against them, yet, they just continue to battle and fight.

I am one of those fans that has been calling for Woody's head... It's nothing against him, I'm sure he's a great person, but he doesn't SEEM to have a clue on offense... Nor does he SEEM to have control over his players (ie Smoove's 3 pointers)... Do I THINK that we can make the next step with Woody at the helm? No, I don't THINK so... Does that mean that I'm turning in my fan card? HELL NO! I have been with this team since I was 4-5... So, do I or any other fan THINK or FEEL that I need to have my PASSION for the team questioned... NO! I've been through worse.... But do I want my team to keep seemingly settle for mediocrity year after year? No, but is anything I can do about? Yes, I can come on here and voice my displeasure about what's going on... Does me using my freedom of speech bother you? It shouldn't, especially when it has to do with wanting OUR TEAM to become better....

Now notice I used the word THINK and SEEM quite a bit on this post... Why? Because these are my opinions, which I am entitled to have... If you feel the need to question people's passion that don't share the same opinion as you, then GROW UP!

Quote:

I am one of those fans that has been calling for Woody's head... It's nothing against him, I'm sure he's a great person, but he doesn't SEEM to have a clue on offense... Nor does he SEEM to have control over his players (ie Smoove's 3 pointers)... Do I THINK that we can make the next step with Woody at the helm? No, I don't THINK so... Does that mean that I'm turning in my fan card? HELL NO! I have been with this team since I was 4-5... So, do I or any other fan THINK or FEEL that I need to have my PASSION for the team questioned... NO! I've been through worse.... But do I want my team to keep seemingly settle for mediocrity year after year? No, but is anything I can do about? Yes, I can come on here and voice my displeasure about what's going on... Does me using my freedom of speech bother you? It shouldn't, especially when it has to do with wanting OUR TEAM to become better....

Now notice I used the word THINK and SEEM quite a bit on this post... Why? Because these are my opinions, which I am entitled to have... If you feel the need to question people's passion that don't share the same opinion as you, then GROW UP!

QFT

Quote:

Exactly. We can go ahead and cry and b!tch while his holiness gives us permission? Suck my balls on that one.

LOL

I was working on a pretty good buzz at the time but if my memory serves me well Northcyde showed up to the Game 3 PreGame in the CNN Center a little late. I was hungry so I gave him my seat while I stood in the Taco Bell line. My seat right next to Lascar.

LOL

Hawksquawk: Where amazing happens

Quote:

So, you consider yourself more passionate due to what... Due to the fact that you wasted your time telling people to "cry and get it out of their system"... Who the hell are you? Are you supposed to be a father figure on here.... Am I supposed to ask you if I can use the bathroom next?

Only more passionate than the people who are willing to support the team less this year, even though we have more to look forward to than ever.

Maybe more passionate than the people that try to find every little single thing wrong with this team, and use that as an excuse to constantly trash players and/or coaches.

There are people who have different opinions from me, that will still fully support the team. My comments aren't necessarily directed at them.

But the opening statement apparantely has only struck a nerve with the people that constantly cry about all multiple aspects of this team. And that's who i targeted with that statement.

It hasn't struck a nerve with everybody, because some know that I'm telling the truth. They may not agree with how I'm going about it, but it's the truth nonetheless.

Quote:

Come on, man... This site was created so people with DIFFERENT OPINIONS can voice said opinions and create some competitive banter.... For you to FEEL obligated to tell people what they can and can't do shows that you feel like you're HOLIER THAN THOU.... Like I stated before, GET OVER YOURSELF! And if you're so sure that they will be back, then what the heck was the use in you're first post... Go ahead and cry because I know that you'll be back anyway? Gee thanks?

It goes back to the "fakeness" or bandwagon quality of not only our fans, but fans in general.

The thing that gets me, is that if you were to start a poll right now about either how many games the Hawks will win next year . . or if they expect us to make the playoffs . . I would almost bet that vast majority of fans would have us over .500 and making the playoffs.

Yet, when you look at this board, it's like we're the Knicks or something.

That's why I said that they'll be back if we really start winning. If we still are inconsistent, they may not go to the games. But if we are inconsistent, I hope it's only on the road, so that those new casual fans that like to watch us win at home, can replace some of those "die-hards" who aren't going to the games.

It's funny though. People love to bash and make fun of Woody, but absolutely despise I, and a few others, who may take up for him and give him the benefit of the doubt on some issues.

And those same people constantly talk about what upgrades we need as a team to make us more consistent and less "flawed", but constantly blame Woody for everything, because he's not winning more with the current "flawed" team . . even after they acknowledge what we need personnel wise to be more consistent.

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. We can go ahead and cry and b!tch while his holiness gives us permission? Suck my balls on that one.

LOL

I was working on a pretty good buzz at the time but if my memory serves me well Northcyde showed up to the Game 3 PreGame in the CNN Center a little late. I was hungry so I gave him my seat while I stood in the Taco Bell line. My seat right next to Lascar.

LOL

Hawksquawk: Where amazing happens

It is funny teke. And thanks for givng me your seat.

But what gets me is after all of the good home wins in the regular season, and that memorable Game 3, and even more memorable Games 4 and 6, he's the same guy that is now not going to buy season tickets?

In the end, that's his business.

But why not now?

Does his hatred for Woody run that deep, that he's not willing to support the team that he loves even more next year, even though there's every indication that the product will be better?

And people talk about us settling for being mediocre. Heck, we haven't been mediocre in a long time. We were flat out bad all of those years. We just got to mediocre this season. But people want us to jump up to championship contender status immeadiately.

I mean, God forbid we trade Marvin for Diesel's boy, Raja Bell. That would highly pizz me off. But once he came into the mix, my support of the Hawks would be no less than it is right now.

I'll be passing your house on Saturday Northcyde, it's time for the 1st of 2 trips to St Louis this coming weekend.

I can't/won't speak on behalf of Lascar but I can imagine a season ticket holder would get pretty ticked off when the organization continues to do the same thing year after year expecting different results.

Quote:

Quote:

Get over yourself!

Actually Northass it's fans like YOURSELF who are the problem for our franchise. Fans like yourself continue to spend money on the team and support them (financially) no matter what they do. I shall now call them...Northasses. What incentive does that provide for the ASG to actually try and put out a competitive roster with a competitive coach? As long as there are mindless Northasses like yourself, spending money to proudly sport around a .400 team on their caps, the rest of us REAL fans shall continue to look forward to -40 win seasons.

Thanks Northass, and all you other Northasses, for really supporting our team. If you ever hit the lottery we will forever BE IN the lottery.

Northcyde is the kind of fan that every franchise needs. He spends his hard earned money to come to Hawks games because he loves this team and our players no matter if the times are good or bad. When people stop supporting a team our players start to leave and before you know it we have no team to cheer for because its been relocated to another state. You should be happy there are people like northcyde who give a damn becuase without people like him there is no Atlanta Hawks.

Northclyde you should just do us all a favor and write a book on how to be a fan. In every other line you'll tell us all how because we have a problem with woody and how the roster is set up we all are less of a fan than you. You'll also decieve other Hawks fans into thinking your post was more than a self satisfying ego move to show your are better than many of us.

One thing that confuses me is you're telling people who have sat through a 13 win season, the trading of the franchises best player, some of the worst draft picks ever that they are bandwagon jumpers. Huh? If you were to come to my job and ask anyone I work with my favorite basketball team they all would say the Hawks. I have suffered to long and put up with to much failure to let someone like you try and set limits and rules to what is a real fan or not.

Let me address a few issues here:

Woody - Its obvious to many that this man is one of the worst pro basketball coaches when it comes to in game decisions, offensive sets in the halfcourt and relating and getting the most out of his players. If Woody was not a good in game coach but got a Acie,Salim, Solo, Richardson or a ZaZa to come in and play productive minutes I wouldn't have as much of a problem. You might say these guys aren't that good. One big reason is that when they are inserted in the game and fail Woody takes them out immediately. Instead of actually coaching and teaching he would rather play JJ,Smoove and Bibby most of the game. Thats not going to cut it. His lack of communication skills and development hurt the Hawks this season and every year he has been here. If he had coached some of these players to use there strengths and not try to mold them into what he wanted they would be fine. Woody needs players who are already proven because he is NOT a teacher and that is a part of being a coach. Motivator is another trait that he seems to be missing.

Why were the Hawks successful last season? Because the Hawks have talent in Horford,Smoove, JJ, Chillz, Marvin and Bibby who can out perform teams on any given night. These guys are givens though. Its developing a Vujacic or a Jordan Farmer that can help your team win CONSISTENTLY throughout the season. He rode his primetime players into the ground and barely made it into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that but the talent on the team shows there should be more than 37 wins.

Why did we win in the playoffs at home? Was it the crowd or Woody? It was a little bit of both. Woody actually didn't change his style up much.

For example, Smoove got hot in game one and basicly made it impossible for the Celtics to win that game. What was Smoove doing in that game though? Hoisting up three pointers. Its a good thing he made them or we would have been in deep trouble.

Second home game, JJ was great wasn't he. But didn't it remind you of a regular season game that we would win squared. He was extra awesome in that game because of the stage. But there were so many games the Hawks win like this one. 4th quarter comes, throw it to JJ and get outta the way. Luckily JJ was hot that not or again we would have been in trouble.

Third home game, not the end all be all but Paul Pierce not being there late was huge. He is there best player and would have been tough to stop.

Woody can take all the credit for coaching the game and the Hawks winning at home. But as far as the motivational lift that goes to Al Horford and the crowd. That Ali tape Big Al showed was right on point. He is a leader already. Every player mentioned the crowd after wins. Not many mentioned Woody as the reason for wins.

What does this tell you about Woody? It tells you the same reason we won at home in the regular season(as far as what the coach did) was the same reason we won in the playoffs at home. JJ with the ball late living and diein with him. Smoove taking threes but unexpectingly hitting at a good rate and beating a team without a big part of there team at home. Just think of the Suns(Amare) and Mavericks( Josh Howard, Devin Harris) both missing key players and the Hawks beating them at home. What happened on the road against both teams and most good teams? The Hawks got smoked because of LAzy coaching.

Woody is satisfied with how he coaches and that is troublesome. His coaching style can only get you mediocore or less than that. His success is depended upon adding veterans who can help mask some of his coaching blunders. Hell it almost sounded like he wanted Bibby to coach him when he came to the team. He can't just hand Acie the ball and say run the team. He must teach, motivate and discipline him if and when needed. I haven't seen this from him yet though and I hope Bibby can tutor Acie to become a good PG because I don't believe coaching staff can.

I have nothing against Woody but have seen his coaching style long enough to form an opinion.

One play where Woody fooled me into thinking the light had come on in his head. It was in Golden State and they posted up JJ on the left side of the court. With two shooters in Salim and Richardson in the game the rotated around the arc and were in perfect position to recieve a pass if needed. JJ worked his man and when the double came Kicked it out to Salim "SWISH" three point basket! I was screaming at the TV YES YES YES! I really enjoyed that play and it was a good thing because I never saw it again. They could run the same play with Smoove or Horford with Bibby and JJ ready to shoot. That is one way you can get minutes from Salim and Richardson by designing plays of this nature. They both can do what comes natural to them, shoot.

I could keep going but I think you can see why I dislike the mans coaching style. Not personnal but it is sports.

Quote:

When people stop supporting a team our players start to leave and before you know it we have no team to cheer for because its been relocated to another state.

Bingo Chris!!!

D, and others like him, are completely delusional if they think a professional sports organization is going to go all-out to put a winner on the floor, if they don't have a ton of revenue coming in. The ASG is a fairly financially weak ownership group to begin with, by NBA standards. If they weren't, they'd probably would've bought out Belkin and be done with this headache.

It was shocking enough that they even made a play for Bibby. But I guess they felt that they had to make the playoffs last season, to keep our fan base interested. So biting the bullet for one year, isn't a bad thing. It'll be worth it for them, if the fans really come out to watch the Hawks this year.

I live in Tennessee, and pretty much witnessed the Nashville Predators being hijacked from the city for that very same reason ( revenue ). The hockey fans in the area thought that they could just attend the big games or weekend games, and everything would be cool. Meanwhile, the season ticket base was so weak, that the Preds organization almost had to count on the walk-up crowd every home game.

And like some of these Hawk fans, the Pred fans said that if management spends some money to improve the product, then the fans will come out and fully support the team. So the organization goes out and get Paul Kariya and they make the playoffs.

But the season ticket base didn't increase much at all.

So when the local owner a year later basically said "I love owning this team, but I'm losing too much money, so I'm selling the team", the fan base just took it with a grain of salt, thinking a new owner may do more to bring great players in ( even though they don't pack the arena for every Pred home game ).

When the owner gets into serious discussion to sell the team to a Canadian living in Hamilton, Ontario, eyebrows were raised.

When the city of Hamilton, Ontario almost immeadiately approved financing for a new arena, Pred fans were like "wait a minute . . this guy is going to move this team!!"

It took the local radio station to hold a damn season ticket rally, to draw enough interest around the city and the middle Tennessee area, to have another local ownership group step up and buy the team. And even they said that they needed an attendance average of 14K a game, to keep the team in Nashville.

If you look at the Memphis Grizzlies, they went through kind of the same thing. The Griz was good enough for 3 years to make the playoffs. The first playoff year, they were still in the bottom 5 in attendance. In playoff year 2, they move into a new building, win 50 games, and see their attendance move into the top 20. But in year 3, even though they won 49 games, their attendance falls back into the bottom 5.

That's when all of the turmoil for that franchise really started. The injury to Gasol pretty much got Fratello fired. And because the revenue base was so poor in Memphis, they didn't try to make a major move for a good player to try to sustain the talent level on the team, which led to a horrible season and them wishing for a savior in the form of Oden or Durant. When that didn't happen, and they couldn't even get the #3 pick to draft Horford ( which would've been a damn good fit in Memphis ), everything really started to unravel.

And it didn't help the Griz one bit that the Memphis Tigers started to be a national college power again. If given the choice, the people in Memphis will ALWAYS support a good Tigers over the Griz, no matter how good the Griz are.

Gasol cries for help, and if help didn't come, demands to be traded. Help doesn't come ( because the owners aren't bringing in a lot of revenue, and are wanting to sell the team to someone else anyway ).

Gasol talks about being traded, then backs off of it.

Fans turn on Gasol, the face of the franchise for the last 7 years.

And Gasol gets traded for virtually nothing, saving the owners a ton of money going into next season.

I will be SHOCKED if Memphis made a major run at a free agent ( Arenas, Jamison, Smith, etc ) to improve the team. The fan base in Memphis has already proven that they may not support the team, even if they win 50 games. Plus, they'd rather spend their money watching the Tigers blow out Southern Miss and East Carolina.

Oh, and by the way, during the 7 years in which the Bulls were easily the worst franchise in the NBA ( from their last title in 1998 to their return to the playoffs in 2005 ), the Bulls were ALWAYS in the top 10 in attendance, even as high as #2 in the league, during some of those horrible years.

As the Hawks marketing team says, it's time for the ATL fan base to RISE UP.

Quote:

Actually Northass it's fans like YOURSELF who are the problem for our franchise. Fans like yourself continue to spend money on the team and support them (financially) no matter what they do. I shall now call them...Northasses. What incentive does that provide for the ASG to actually try and put out a competitive roster with a competitive coach? As long as there are mindless Northasses like yourself, spending money to proudly sport around a .400 team on their caps, the rest of us REAL fans shall continue to look forward to -40 win seasons.

Thanks Northass, and all you other Northasses, for really supporting our team. If you ever hit the lottery we will forever BE IN the lottery.

You're welcome.

If fans like you can't support the Hawks at home, when they won over 60% of their home regular season and playoff home games last year, I hope the new casual fans that were energized by our success in the playoffs, can replace some of you guys at Philips next season.

If we're still schizophrenic on the road, we need to be damn good at home next year. If you're not willing to be part of that home crowd a little more next season, that's on you.

My support of the Hawks is UNCONDITIONAL.

Quote:

Northcyde is the kind of fan that every franchise needs. He spends his hard earned money to come to Hawks games because he loves this team and our players no matter if the times are good or bad. When people stop supporting a team our players start to leave and before you know it we have no team to cheer for because its been relocated to another state. You should be happy there are people like northcyde who give a damn becuase without people like him there is no Atlanta Hawks.

I did thank him. Several times.