• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shaun Livingston

hawkster411

Would the Hawks be willing to make a bid for Unrestricted Free Agent Shaun Livingston?

He's coming back from a major reconstructive knee injury, but doctor's have cleared him to play basketball. It's been nearly a 1 1/2 years since the injury.

Having Livingston, Law, and Bibby for our PG's would be interesting both starting and bench. Livingston would have great value if he becomes the projected "Hall of Fame" PG scouts predicted.

Livingston

Law

Bibby

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...ers16-2008jun16,0,2121409.story

Quote:

yea imagine the length we could put out there.

6'10 Horford, 6'9 Smoove, 6'9 Marvin, 6'7 Joe, and a pass first 6'7 Livingston.

Are you guys forgetting the great passes in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

Haha! This sounds like the ultimate Billy Knight team! Everyone long and lanky and between 6'7" and 6'10"! Although Knight would prefer if EVERYONE was 6'9".

Quote:

Have a workout and physical. This guy is well worth the risk if he appears healthy.

W

Agreed. Bring him in. No risk in that. And if we did sign him having someone with an injury history is not as big of a risk if they are your 3rd point guard. Much less of a risk for injury there and not as much of a negative affect. Plus the reward factor could be big. real big.

• Moderators

Quote:

why would he sign here to be a 3rd string PG when he could potentially start, or at least backup on another team...

Bibby is not here for long and he could certainly potentially start on this team over Acie if he panned out. I guess it would be a bit like Jose Calderon signing with Toronto when TJ Ford was there.

Oh sweet, an injury prone PG, exactly what we need! I don't think we have one of those yet...we actually have 2.

Do we sign him for the minimum? Sure, but what about a ~$2-3 mil contract? No. And hell, even if we do sign him, it will be a 1 year contract and if he does turn out to be what some people want him to be he will bolt for anyone with more than the MLE. We won't have money to retain him beyond a year if he actually pans out.

IMO, Livingston isn't the kind of guy who comes back as a legit back-up. He is built like Penny and will either come back as himself or as Penny, who was a joke after his microfracture and it would be pointless to keep him if that is the case.

That said, I will be shocked if he can pass a physical and the Clippers don't offer him a deal.

ff we did get him here for a workout and a physical though and the doctors gave him a better than even chance to make a recovery, I'd take a chance on him. You just aren't going to find his kind of talent out there very often. It is scary to think how good we could be in a couple of years with a healthy Livingston running the point.

it's even scarier thinking about the guy we drafted to be our future PG running the show.....and actually giving him a chance to do that before trading for or signing a hundred guys to start over him.OMG where would alot of these great players be if GM's actually thought like some of y'all?Everybody would be given up on after year 1,then they get traded to a new team where they are yearly all-stars and some of the best at what they do,while the team that traded him is stuck with some broken down guy that can't lead them anywhere and is close to a nursing home.

I don't recall Walter or I suggesting that Acie be traded. Even if Livingston is able to pass a physical, he has not proven any more in this league than Acie has. He also has not shown that he can stay healthy in this league. Still, with his talent and size, if we could get him in here healthy, we would be crazy not to in my opinion.

Quote:

it's even scarier thinking about the guy we drafted to be our future PG running the show.....and actually giving him a chance to do that before trading for or signing a hundred guys to start over him.OMG where would alot of these great players be if GM's actually thought like some of y'all?Everybody would be given up on after year 1,then they get traded to a new team where they are yearly all-stars and some of the best at what they do,while the team that traded him is stuck with some broken down guy that can't lead them anywhere and is close to a nursing home.

i'm the biggest acie suppporter out there and think he will be an all-star...but if livingston can be had for a good price, it's a no-brainer.

Quote:

Oh sweet, an injury prone PG, exactly what we need! I don't think we have one of those yet...we actually have 2.

Do we sign him for the minimum? Sure, but what about a ~$2-3 mil contract? No. And hell, even if we do sign him, it will be a 1 year contract and if he does turn out to be what some people want him to be he will bolt for anyone with more than the MLE. We won't have money to retain him beyond a year if he actually pans out.

IMO, Livingston isn't the kind of guy who comes back as a legit back-up. He is built like Penny and will either come back as himself or as Penny, who was a joke after his microfracture and it would be pointless to keep him if that is the case.

I don't see the point either. If the Clipps renounce his rights that tells me that he won't be able to play any time soon. If they believe there is a chance that he will be able to recover they aren't going to renounce him.

I wasn't saying u or anybody particular.Just in general.I wasn't saying don't sign him.I just think it's funny to think he'll come in a be a starter and be great.While alot of people it seems are already intent on Acie just being a backup PG like he was drafted with no expectations to be anything but that.Like he didn't show any skills to be a starting PG in the future.and like all young players I defend him.I see great potential in him,and I see him as being one of the great sophmores in the league next season,better than Farmar and Rondo etc.Me not being as impatient with young players than most fans (they want success instantly or be traded) they think I have a man crush or I think he's the coming of Magic Johnson or something lol( the words of a guy that thinks clumsy means carelessness and low basketball IQ and thinks a shoe string has potential lol),but that's not the case.We drafted him to be the starter.He showed starter NBA quality skills his rookie year so I'm willing to give him more than one frickin year to start to put it together.

Quote:

Me not being as impatient with young players than most fans (they want success instantly or be traded)
they think I have a man crush or I think he's the coming of Magic Johnson or something lol( the words of a guy that thinks clumsy means carelessness and low basketball IQ and thinks a shoe string has potential lol),but that's not the case.

You would trade Marvin for a rack of basketball and yet he is nearly a year and a half younger than Acie and he has already proven more in the NBA than Acie has. Personally, I think both Acie and Marvin are going to get a lot better and I would like to see both of them stick around. Why don't you try extending some of that patience to our youngest player?

Quote:

Quote:

Me not being as impatient with young players than most fans (they want success instantly or be traded)
they think I have a man crush or I think he's the coming of Magic Johnson or something lol( the words of a guy that thinks clumsy means carelessness and low basketball IQ and thinks a shoe string has potential lol),but that's not the case.

You would trade Marvin for a rack of basketball and yet he is nearly a year and a half younger than Acie and he has already proven more in the NBA than Acie has. Personally, I think both Acie and Marvin are going to get a lot better and I would like to see both of them stick around. Why don't you try extending some of that patience to our youngest player? Marvin is entering his 4th year and I had not a bad thing to sy about him till year 3.His age doesn't mean much.And when have I hinted at trading Marvin for a sack of basketballs?do u have me confused with someone else?