Coaching speculation: McDavid wants Karl?

KB21

Take this for what it is worth. From Hoopsworld:

COACHES

So the Bucks wacked Big George? Not a big surprise, he isn’t a fan of young players, rarely gives them minutes and the Bucks are loaded with them. It’s also not a surprise that Milwaukee wanted to buy him out and go in a new direction, Karl was seeking another monster extension and frankly there wasn’t anything to justify it. The Bucks have cut weight and are looking for a young coach to groom their young players… It seems Terry Stotts may be the front runner although the Bucks have sought permission to speak with almost every major assistant out there, including Seattle’s Dwayne Casey, who is set to meet with the Bucks on Monday. Kings assistant coach Terry Porter and Pistons assistant Mike Woodson are also mentioned as candidates… The Hawks sale may finally close in the coming weeks, with David McDavid having hinted to friends he’d want a high profile coach to help lead the team to the Playoffs next season. Rumor has it George Karl is interested in the spot but it may be too soon for Big George, but you can not deny the coincidence of the Hawks trading away Glenn Robinson. Clippers head coach Mike Dunleavy has been playing point man for the team in the media, basically saying the matching of Elton Brand and the free agent offer to Gilbert Arenas were part of the ‘master plan’. It seems the Clips did make some personnel promises to the elder Dunleavy, so don’t be shocked when the Clips do finally match Cory Maggette and squeeze Lamar Odom away from Miami, it seems those players were promised to Dunleavy.

ummmm ... aren't we full of young inexperienced players too. We're likely to have at least one rookie starting. I guess I'd rather have Karl than Stotts, but we really need a better fit like a Fratello or a Carlisle. Either way, it's good to see that they are reckognizing the problems with the hawks. Hopefully it's not too late to take care of them

Not really.

Dickau is going into his second season. Hansen and Diaw are rookies. Outside of that, Jason Terry is going into his 5th season. Shareef Abdur Rahim is going into his 8th season. Alan Henderson and Theo Ratliff are in their 9th seasons. Chris Crawford is going into his 7th season.

We don't have a roster full of inexperience. We've got two very wide open positions that could go to a young player, but the core is still Terry, Abdur-Rahim, and Ratliff.

Terry and Abdur-Rahim could be a Payton/Kemp combo for Karl. Ratliff gives his something he did not have in any of his previous coaching stops - a legitimate defensive center. If we sign Stephen Jackson to play either the 2 or 3 position, I really don't think Karl will have a big problem with playing Diaw at the other.

Go look at Kemp's numbers from back then. Kemp never was the 20 ppg scorer that Shareef has been, and he never was as efficient as Shareef.

Kemp was a guy who could leap and was very athletic, but that's about all he had. He didn't have Shareef's complete post up game or Shareef's ability to step out and hit a jumper on the perimeter.

So the NBA is about scoring?

Reef doesn't have his athletic ability or defensive

ability.Offense is only half the game

Kemp averaged double figure boards 6 times.Reef has

only done it once....Kemp was a better rebounder and

defender and still got 19PPG offense.

Reef is pretty much just a scorer and a average rebounder

considering he plays PF and plays 38MPG.

Scoring is only one part of the game.Kemp has him beat

in just about everything else.

Plus Kemp was second option and not first....So it's not

surpising he'd score abit less.

Plus Kemp is a 6 time allstar.

And you factor that Kemp played on alot more talented

teams back in those days that Reef has played on.Reef

has more chances to score than Kemp had back then

due to the fact he played on more talented teams.

Alot of the reason that rating says he is really is because

he's a 84%ft shooter which is unusal for a PF...

Your going by the rating...So Allen Iverson is only the

19th best player in the league?That's what that rating

says.....

One word:Bull$hit

Kemp's old game is a lot like KMart's current game...based on athleticism. Kemp was ahead of where Kenyon is now, but the similarities are there...not refined post moves, but they find ways to score points with the help of a good pg...

• Premium Member

I would say that Kemp was very athletic and very powerful. He was a mix of Anthony Mason and Chris Webber. He didn't have the skill of Webber, but he wasn't slow like Mason. It is interesting that he didn't score that much on a run and gun team like Seattle during a time when it was easier to put up 100 points. Reef plays a more precise game. Offensively, he's like a painter with a canvas and a small brush while Kemp was like a Painter with a wall and a roller. Reef outclasses Kemp offensively. BUT, Kemp was the more athletic, more physical player. It will be interesting to see Reef's game after surgery.

Iverson shoots the ball 30 times a game. That's why his rating is that low. That rating is what most general managers use to rate the league's players.

The way you talk about Shareef Abdur-Rahim, you would think he's some talented underachiever like Tim Thomas in Milwaukee. A Tim Thomas who has a career 12 ppg scoring average, a career 4.0 rpg average, has yet to shoot above 46% from the field despite being 6-10, and averages less than 2 assists per game.

Shareef is a guy who can roll out of bed and get you 20 points and 9 boards a night. No, he isn't a player that can elevate the level of those around him, but to completely and utterly denigrate his game because he isn't one of the top 3 or 4 players in the NBA is foolish.

He is a top 20-25 player in the NBA, whether you want to believe that or not. You can ask any general manager around the league, and any coach around the league where Shareef ranks. All of them will put him in the top 20-25 players in the NBA.

• Premium Member

If you asked all the NBA coaches which 5 guys' hands would you want the ball in if you're down by 1 with 15 seconds to go, Iverson would probably make every single list.

But, he tends to shoot his team out of games early on, as well. There's no medium tempo for Iverson.

He's fun to watch, but I'm a little unsure of how he will mesh with Robinson. Frankly, they will probably be a better team next year b/c there are no real 2nd or 3rd scoring options on Philly. Robinson, of course, will try to be both.

(Look, I've become downright comical with glee in the post-Robinson era...)

Reef is a top 20-25 player, i completely agree.

its hard to compare Iverson w/ Reef since they play completely different positions. Even though Reef has a higher eff rate, i still think most teams would prefer Iverson over Reef. But dont get me wrong, Reef isint a person u just ignore.

As for MIAMI (PAT RILEY) callin out REEF is a complete joke since they wanted him in a trade over the summer... (i know this has absolutely nothing to do w/ anyones post here, but i just wanted to add that)

Things I look at...

1)His contract.As long as he is a top 15 [paid player

I'm going to have a problem.

2)His lack of intensity makes me think he's weak

3)He probably can better than what he's doing

I said he had a Howard like you and he did...His blocks/

rebounds and scoring all tailed off.And saying he isn't

better than a 6 time allstar who was a double double

19/10 beast isn't dissing him in his prime isn't dissing

him.

Top 20 is perhaps a good arguement.But my main point

was to show that you can't just go by that rating thing.

Stats doesn't show a players true effect on a game.AI is

a very feared player in the league and he's obviousally

better than 19th best.