• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Andersen signs with FC Barcelona.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

FC Barcelona

Quote:

FC Barcelona’s basketball section has agreed basic terms with centre David Andersen and the ex-CSKA Moscow player will sign for three seasons after having his medical.

CSKA_FCB_3.JPGAndersen is 2.12 m tall and originally from Australia though he holds a Danish passport. He has spent the last four seasons at CSKA Moscow where he won four League titles, two Cups and two Euroleagues. Before his time in Russia he was at Montepaschi Siena for one season and at Virtus in Bologna.

If last Thursday’s big story was Juan Carlos Navarro signing for five seasons, this Saturday it’s the turn of David Andersen, one of the top players in European basketball. Nonetheless, the section’s coaching staff are still looking for more ways to build a competitive team for the 2008-09 season.

Well that stinks. If we didn't have to worry about the salary cap I think we would have signed him but since we didn't I think that we need to look at Diop and/or Mbenga. I think we could get both of them for less than it would have cost to get Andersen.

We dont agree on much, but this one I totally agree with. If we arent going to move Horf permanently to the 4 spot next season, we need a backup center who will play solid defense for about 15-20 mins a game. Zaza does not fit that bill, but a Diop will. We dont need the backup 5 to score a whole lot, I think our offense will be just fine. But we HAVE to get a true backup Center who can bang. Do that and then get rid of Zaza asap.

Quote:

We dont agree on much, but this one I totally agree with. If we arent going to move Horf permanently to the 4 spot next season, we need a backup center who will play solid defense for about 15-20 mins a game. Zaza does not fit that bill, but a Diop will. We dont need the backup 5 to score a whole lot, I think our offense will be just fine. But we HAVE to get a true backup Center who can bang. Do that and then get rid of Zaza asap.

I doubt Diop will sign with us, he only plays hard and stays in shape for winners or Dallas. Atlanta is not a likely option. As for D.J.M(Lakers) he's much worst then Zaza, might as well bring Slava back. We really need to think about making trades in the draft because our Center options are really slim to none. And Joe P. is not on the market so don't start mentioning him. Portland doesn't want to trade him until Oden is plays a season or more. I would consider signing Chris Mihm, he would be cheap and can provide a spark.

Quote:

So much for David Andersen wanting to come to the NBA.

Yeah really. WTH?

I'm assuming Barcelona must have just blown him away or something with their offer, either that or maybe he and his agent were just blowing smoke about that burning desire to play in the NBA in order to drive up his price range in Europe.

It's too bad. It sounded and looked from some of his videos like he had a really intriguing blend of talent and skills for a big man, but oh well. On to Plan B I guess....

I wonder if the BK change had something to do with this.

Andersen sounded like a Jason Collier with more athleticism and more range. BK clearly liked that type (Collier and Drobnjack were the same exact) so I bet he was swaying him towards the NBA. Maybe the GM change had something to do with it? Or maybe not, bottom line is he would have helped out our team and we don't have him now. That sucks.

I 2believe the GM change had something to do with Anderson signing elsewhere. All that goodwill BK might have built up with DA went out the window once he was fired. I'm not blaming Sund because he probably hasn't had enough time to scout him yet. I just hope Sund has scouted this team properly before he made the statement of he wants to keep the top 8 intact. If he only signes a MLE guy no one else wants and resignes the Joshes then I don't see what he would be doing that BK wouldn't have. Only time will tell.

Quote:

Man, I'm really disappointed with this...
weeping.gifweeping.gif

Yeah, I'm disappointed for you. It's too bad for Australia, really. I'm sure many people in the country would have been thrilled to have another Australian playing in the NBA, and that can only be a good thing as far as enhancing interest in the sport.

I don't fault Andersen for whatever decision he made, because it is his life and just like everyone else, you have to try and make the decisions that you feel will be best for yourself and your family. But personally I think it's his loss. He's already been there, done it, and proven himself in Europe, so continuing on there just seems an exercise in redundancy.....so why not take the next logical step forward from that, up to the biggest, brightest, and greatest stage in the basketball world? I mean really, why wouldn't you want to do that? You only live once, right? So why not play with and against the best in the world? It boggles my mind. There are thousands of players out there who would give literally anything they owned just to get a shot at the NBA, and to have a guy just walk away from it like that, man.....

To me this is the type of decision a person might really come to regret when they reach an older age, ya know..... that they stayed with what was safe and comfortable, and that they didn't take their shot at greatness when that opportunity presented itself, and when so few ever get a shot at true greatness in life. Or maybe not. Maybe he's perfectly happy with his choices and will remain so for the rest of his life- but I would regret it if this were me. I would look back, and I would regret it.

What team is going to be stupid enough to give up anything for a 28 year old who just signed a 3 year deal over seas? Obviously this shows 2 things: #1 The Hawks didnt come to the ball game as Anderson said the other day. #2. Anderson didnt really have the heart or guts to come to the nba. If he did he would have let the Hawks explore trade options to a team that would pay what he wanted.

Quote:

Yeah when he is in his suite with the pool and hot tub with 15 of them native Spanish hunnies surrounding him his 1st thought is going to be regret. lol

Well my take on that is- there are always girls, and there is always money. Girls come and girls go just like money, but you can always find more beautiful girls if you're a high profile athlete, and you can always make more money no matter what you are. But you can't get back the missed opportunities in life, and turning down a shot at the NBA would most certainly qualify as that. It'd be like a career minor league baseball player who finally gets the call to the majors, but elects to stay in AAA ball because he'd make more money down there. It's the exact same type of thing.

Barcelona is honestly one of the most beautiful cities on earth and I have no doubt that he'll love it there- hell, *I'd* love an opportunity to live in Barcelona for 5 years or so. But this is the NBA we're talking about here, the absolute pinnacle of his chosen profession, the dream that SO many aspire to and that so few actually reach....and you don't think that when he's old and gray he might not look back and think "Damn, I really wish I'd have given it a shot".

I read this on Davids website. looks like the management did put a any kind of verbal offer in before the July signing period.

David Andersen has signed 3-year contract with Barcelona. David was weighing up options for NBA with Atlanta this year as he was looking forward to the challenge of heading to the NBA, unfortunately with New management coming into the team and the task of re-signing some stars the timing was bad and David had to put things on hold.

"It was disappointing how things fell through with Atlanta this year, hopefully things will work out in the future." David said.

The official site of David Andersen

• Premium Member

Quote:

I read this on Davids website. looks like the management did put a any kind of verbal offer in before the July signing period.

David Andersen has signed 3-year contract with Barcelona. David was weighing up options for NBA with Atlanta this year as he was looking forward to the challenge of heading to the NBA, unfortunately with New management coming into the team and the task of re-signing some stars the timing was bad and David had to put things on hold.

"It was disappointing how things fell through with Atlanta this year, hopefully things will work out in the future." David said.

The official site of David Andersen

Translation:

LUXURY TAX