• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sixers are about to take us to school

HawkNJersey

By Sekou K. Smith

July 1, 2008 2:23 PM | Link to this

How’s this for a wicked twist, a colleague in Philly just emailed that not only are they expecting Josh Smith in Philly Wednesday but Childress is expected to make a visit there as well.

The 76ers are covering all their bases. Apparently they want to raid this Hawks team in the worst way. if there wasn’t a rivalry between these two cities before now, I can see one coming if they pirate away one of these guys.

As for the many questions about shooters the Hawks are targeting, as their names are made clear to me I’ll pass them along. But right now the Hawks have to worry about Josh and Josh. Because the heat is on.

I’ll update you with more info as soon as I get it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. They can't afford to offer them simultaneous offer sheets, not with only $11M in cap space. I'm more concerned that once an inflated offer for one is made, that another team will make an inflated offer for the other and Sund/ASG will be forced to choose which one to match (most likely Smith).

From a practical standpoint, having both players visit Philly is not nearly as bad as knowing that one was headed to Philly and the other to Memphis/Clippers (the other teams with cap space). Right?

Quote:

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. They can't afford to offer them simultaneous offer sheets, not with only $11M in cap space. I'm more concerned that once an inflated offer for one is made, that another team will make an inflated offer for the other and Sund/ASG will be forced to choose which one to match (most likely Smith).

From a practical standpoint, having both players visit Philly is not nearly as bad as knowing that one was headed to Philly and the other to Memphis/Clippers (the other teams with cap space). Right?

Yep...

I wonder what Philly would do with Chil. They are already the worst 3pt shooting team in the leage and they have a big need for a guy who can put the ball in the bucket in crunch time. Childress doesn't really fill any of their needs, he gets his points the same way Dalembert does.

Maybe they will offer Childress the largest contract that they know we would match. Then once we had already committed, they'd offer Smith the largest contract that they were willing and hope that we'd chewed up enough of our finances on Childress. Make it so we have to worry about our second issue before our first.

Well thats great! Sund better not lose Smoove here. If they want anyone going to the games next year Smoove MUST be resigned at all costs. you let chilldress walk if he gets a big offer.

I think you guys (and maybe the Hawks) are not looking at all angles. You seem to think that the 76ers cap situation is a static one. They can get further under the cap if they truly wanted to do so.

All I can say is good luck because losing Josh Smith would essentially shut down your franchise.

Let's be real, Josh Smith is no Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, or Lebron James. Our team will move on without Josh Smith (although I don't think he is going anywhere) and function fine--just not the same way. Some fans will certainly be lost, but I'm not keeping Smoove if Philly starts thinking about outrageous contract numbers. Hopefully, it will not come to that. But we can only wait and see.

Quote:

Yeah, we got to remember that he helped the team win a whopping 37 games this past season and he thinks he is worth anywhere near the max? lol

What a joke.

Good point. None of our players are worth any money because they were on a 37 win team.

Joe Johnson isn't near max, why? 37 wins. Al Horford had a crappy rookie season, why? 37 wins.

You keep making this point but it doesn't mean anything. Specifically in this circumstance.

Quote:

Yeah, we got to remember that he helped the team win a whopping 37 games this past season and he thinks he is worth anywhere near the max? lol

What a joke.

How about you just stick to movies because you dont know crap about basketball.

Quote:

If a player can't help your team win, he's not with the money. JJ is not a max player either.

So according to your logic, KG was a max player in 03-04, declined in his monetary worth until this year when his value spiked back up to max?

Do I have that right?