• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Predicament

Hawk88

Looks like Josh Smith is in the same position that he was on draft night and I can't help but think it's a good situation for the Hawks.

Jay Bilas called Josh Smith the most likely bust of his draft passed over my 17 or 18 clubs. He proved Bilas wrong.

Now he is a free agent and it doesn't seem like other teams are willing to work deals to clear space for Smooth. It's not that they don't want him but not bad enough to pay him big bucks. Great for the Hawks, now Josh will have to earn more respect after he signs this contract.

I thought it was interesting a while back when it was posted on the board, who do you prefer Josh Smith or Al Horford. Well, is there any doubt that just about every team in the league would be trying to work out a deal to sign Horford.

But in the long run I hope this works out well for Josh Smith and the Hawks.

On another note, the guy I think the Hawks need is Shane Battier, tough D, leader and experienced. Could we move Marvin for Battier?

Hawk88

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful...the Smith "nut-huggers" are going to call you a Smith hater b/c you don't want to throw him a "fair" $70-$75 mill contract to sign him ASAP.......LOL

I agree with you though. The Hawks have him right where they want him. I hope a deal gets done.

I just heard a report on ESPN that the Spurs are buying out the contracts of Duncan, Ginobli and Parker so that they can sign Josh Smith to an unprecedented $30M/year contract. Stupid Hawks, I knew that we were under-valuing Josh Smith. See? The best organization in basketball recognizes his potential. Did you know? He's only 22.

Quote:

Well, is there any doubt that just about every team in the league would be trying to work out a deal to sign Horford.

First of all Horford has 3 years left on his rookie deal. If teams were had to pay $12 million/yr or more to get him they might not be so enthusiastic.

Also there probably are many teams that want Smith but they are over the cap and the Hawks are in the drivers seat in any trade discussions which are complicated by Smiths BYC status. Philly obviously liked Smith but they liked Brand more. The Clipps did too but they were sure the Hawks would match.

None of the other RFAs (Okafor, Deng, Iggy, Gordon, Beidrins) have gotten any offers from other teams either.

why does everyone think this is just a Josh Smith issue? you have players like Okafor and others who are in the same position....it's all about the fact that other teams KNOW we will match and they don't want to waste their 7 days waiting for nothing.

Quote:

None of the other RFAs (Okafor, Deng, Iggy, Gordon, Beidrins) have gotten any offers from other teams either.

I'm predicitng that Philly will sign Iggy first because Chicago, Charlotte, Golden State and Atlanta are notorious at being either slow and/or cheap. But I think once someone (Philly) breaks the ice with the elite RFAs, then other contracts will quickly fall into place.

Plus (and this is not a hatin' comment), all of the GMs must do their due diligence and consider possible S & T alternatives. We just saw a recent DPOY get traded for virtually nothing. If the Clips' GM had thought "no one would ever trade a recent DPOY for nothing" then that trade would never have occurred. So you HAVE to poke around and see if you can create a Gasol/Camby type lop-sided trade involving your RFA. And you have to test those scenarios before locking down the RFA's agents in serious negotiations.

Quote:

So you HAVE to poke around and see if you can create a Gasol/Camby type lop-sided trade involving your RFA.

Camby and Gasol were traded for cap space. Anyone trading for Smith will be taking on at least $10 million in salary in the 1st year. Those type of deals aren't possible with Smith.

Quote:

Quote:

So you HAVE to poke around and see if you can create a Gasol/Camby type lop-sided trade involving your RFA.

Camby and Gasol were traded for cap space. Anyone trading for Smith will be taking on at least $10 million in salary in the 1st year. Those type of deals aren't possible with Smith.

No, not of that magnitude. The point is, unless you take the time to evaluate options, you may not find a blockbuster trade involving an RFA.

Quote:

Be careful...the Smith "nut-huggers" are going to call you a Smith hater b/c you don't want to throw him a "fair" $70-$75 mill contract to sign him ASAP.......LOL

I agree with you though. The Hawks have him right where they want him. I hope a deal gets done.

Not because of any FO competence. Only because we lucked up with Brand not re-signing with Clippers, otherwise he would have probably gone to Philly.

It's not about being a lover/hater of Smoove, it's about the Hawks and clearly we have a much better chance of being a contending teamnow and in the future with Josh Smith as opposed to without him.

The fact that we may have to overpay him a couple million dollars a year shouldn't hinder that. What the hell would we be saving that money for?

Being cheap and losing him would make this team far less of a competitor now and in the future than overpaying him a little bit for a contract that he has the potential to live up to anyway.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not because of any FO competence. Only because we lucked up with Brand not re-signing with Clippers, otherwise he would have probably gone to Philly.

It's not about being a lover/hater of Smoove, it's about the Hawks and clearly we have a much better chance of being a contending teamnow and in the future with Josh Smith as opposed to without him.

The fact that we may have to overpay him a couple million dollars a year shouldn't hinder that. What the hell would we be saving that money for?

Being cheap and losing him would make this team far less of a competitor now and in the future than overpaying him a little bit for a contract that he has the potential to live up to anyway.

I seriously can not wrap my head around why people would rather loose Smith than Pay him a huge contract... What the heck else would ASG do with the money? Who could we sign in the near future who is a better prospect than Smoove? What Mega Super Star Free Agent could we throw money at that would want to come to Atlanta?

If we do a SNT how likely is it we will get a player YOUNGER and BETTER than Smoove?

I think everyone could agree that in order to become a great team we need at least one more superstar... Out of everyone in our team, and in the league, Josh Smith is by far our best chance at getting one.

I mean let's look at the most likely Worst case / Best case scenarios

Worst case: We overpay Josh Smith and he continues to average 18 ppg 8 rpg and 3 Bpg

Best case: Josh Smith becomes the next KG.

What other ways can we spend those 10-14 million dollars a year that projects better than this?

I mean, even with all of his faults Josh Smith IS one of the best Pf TODAY... It is seriously not even a huge gamble... Loosing someone of his potential, considering our embarrassing history of futility and the perceptions around the NBA concerning our ownership, would be a freaking disaster

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I seriously can not wrap my head around why people would rather loose Smith than Pay him a huge contract... What the heck else would ASG do with the money? Who could we sign in the near future who is a better prospect than Smoove? What Mega Super Star Free Agent could we throw money at that would want to come to Atlanta?

If we do a SNT how likely is it we will get a player YOUNGER and BETTER than Smoove?

I think everyone could agree that in order to become a great team we need at least one more superstar... Out of everyone in our team, and in the league, Josh Smith is by far our best chance at getting one.

I mean let's look at the most likely Worst case / Best case scenarios

Worst case: We overpay Josh Smith and he continues to average 18 ppg 8 rpg and 3 Bpg

Best case: Josh Smith becomes the next KG.

What other ways can we spend those 10-14 million dollars a year that projects better than this?

I mean, even with all of his faults Josh Smith IS one of the best Pf TODAY... It is seriously not even a huge gamble... Loosing someone of his potential, considering our embarrassing history of futility and the perceptions around the NBA concerning our ownership, would be a freaking disaster

Add to that the fact that IF we let him go, we still won't have cap space to go after another FA. JJ is expiring after next summer, so he's DEFINITELY gone if Smith doesn't resign. He's already publically called for trades to be made, if we lose Smith we aren't making the playoffs, further pissing off JJ and once again showing the league that we aren't committed to anything other than losing. Losing him because we don't want to overpay time warps us back to 2003, we won't see the playoffs for at least 5 years and we once again start with nothing, other than Horford.

Quote:

Dido. This team is better off with Smoove than they will be with any Possible SnT they can come up with. When you draft, develop and see the maturation of a young player you keep him. Thats how you improve your rep around the league with players, agents and organizations. Thats also the easiest way to improve your roster because once you see a guy is a player it is less of a risk than a free agent whom you know nothing about(as far as work ethic and attitude).

Quote:

Quote:

The point is, unless you take the time to evaluate options, you may not find a blockbuster trade involving an RFA.

Try naming 3 "blockbuster" trades involving RFAs that have happened over the last 5 years.

Other than Joe Johnson, Kenyon Martin and Eddie Curry? I don't think that I can.

But if there is ever one, I'm sure that you won't be one of the many asking "why didn't we do that"? Again, all I a sayin is that a good and experienced GM needs to kick the tires on possible trades that may improve his team. I'm not sure why you are challenging that notion?

Quote:

Other than Joe Johnson, Kenyon Martin and Eddie Curry? I don't think that I can.

Who came out ahead on the JJ trade? We did. Phoenix got two mid 1st rounders and Doris, who they are paying $9 million/yr. They would take that deal back in a heartbeat if they could.

All NJ got were mid 1st rounders for Martin.

Even Chicago, who looked like they raped NY in that deal, doesn't have much to show for the Curry deal.

If we trade Smith we will be downgrading talent wise and/or getting younger.

I don't post very often, but am always on here reading to see what is or may be happening, and I felt like I had to address something.

It seems to me that a lot of folks think the only two options are overpaying Smith to keep him or losing him. Isn't it still possible the Hawks just pay him a fair amount, or perhaps even get him for less? Wouldn't that be the best case scenario: that we get him for a relatively cheap sum and he becomes the next KG?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Even Chicago, who looked like they raped NY in that deal, doesn't have much to show for the Curry deal.

Agreed but in all fairness to the NY-Bull trade, Chicago got the # 2 pick in 2006 and #7 pick in 2007 which is a lot for any player. Certainly highway robbery for Eddie Curry. Of course we know know that they blew both picks but it wasn't because there was not available talent at those picks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It seems to me that a lot of folks think the only two options are overpaying Smith to keep him or losing him. Isn't it still possible the Hawks just pay him a fair amount, or perhaps even get him for less?
Wouldn't that be the best case scenario: that we get him for a relatively cheap sum and he becomes the next KG?

Now you are starting to see my point of view. When you look at this situation objectively, what you concluded makes logical sense. But when you have an agenda, you make things seem more difficult than they really are.

Quote:

Isn't it still possible the Hawks just pay him a fair amount,

Not only is it possible but it seems to be more and more likely. No other team is able to offer him a big deal now and the QO is too small for him to consider.

I doubt he will accept a lowball offer but a 5 year $60 million deal certainly seems reasonable and attainable.

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed but in all fairness to the NY-Bull trade, Chicago got the # 2 pick in 2006 and #7 pick in 2007 which is a lot for any player. Certainly highway robbery for Eddie Curry. Of course we know know that they blew both picks but it wasn't because there was not available talent at those picks.

They certainly blew the number 2 pick but I can't say they blew the number 9 pick with Noah. There just wasn't much available there.

The point is that it is hard to get a lopsided trade in your favor when you are the one trading away a RFA.