• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Must Read for ASG Apologists

khaos7

Atlanta Business Chronicle

I don't know if this article has been posted already.

The shedding of Atlanta Spirit LLC executives continued July 10 with the decision not to renew the contract of chief marketing officer Lou DePaoli, who handled the day-to-day operations of ticket sales for the NBA's Hawks and NHL's Thrashers and had nearly half of the entity's 320 employees reporting to him.

"I'm leaving," DePaoli said. "I had some time to reflect. My contract ended. I decided time to move on to a new challenge."

He said he has been in correspondence with a number of people about future employment, including NBA commissioner David Stern via e-mail.

Starting in October 2007, senior vice president of communications Tom Hughes departed for a job with public relations firm Hope-Beckham Inc. In January, the ownership elected to part ways with CEO Bernie Mullin and chief financial officer Bill Duffy, choosing to take a more active role in the management of the franchises and Philips Arena. Vice president of human resources Ginni Siler was another executive who has departed the company in recent months.

None have been replaced by the ownership group, which remains in litigation with estranged owner Steve Belkin over how to buyout Belkin's large minority share.

DePaoli, 41, came from the NBA's team services division at the league's New York headquarters, where he worked under Mullin, who came to the Spirit with the recommendation of Stern. DePaoli's contract expired on June 30 and his last day will be July 11. He was informed that his contract would not be renewed earlier in the week after returning from vacation, a source said.

An e-mail that DePaoli sent to Spirit employees on July 9 announcing his departure obtained by Atlanta Business Chronicle said: "My departure will impact a number of departments and over the next few days the Executive Committee will share with you the company's plans for a new reporting structure for those affected by this change.

I wish all of you the best of luck in the future and look forward to seeing both the Hawks and Thrashers in the playoffs next season."

The executive committee ownership created to report to it in Mullin's absence now has been reduced from seven to six. That panel consists of Bob Williams, the arena president, Rick Sund, general manager of the Hawks, Don Waddell, general manager of the Thrashers, in-house counsel Scott Wilkinson, Tracy White, vice president of broadcasting and sponsorships, and Phil Ebinger, vice president of finance.

At this point, it appears that DePaoli will not be replaced. A message was left on the cell phone of Spirit owner Michael Gearon Jr. and a request for comment was sent to the e-mail address of his Blackberry.

In his position as chief marketing officer, DePaoli used statistical analysis to project attendance for individual games and created strategies -- discounts, group sales, advertising and other marketing -- to improve attendance. He also was instrumental in setting the organization's prices for tickets, as he has attempted to push them higher on both the Hawks and Thrashers' sides to increase revenue and get them closer to the league averages.

While Hawks' ticket sales have indicated a rise after their first playoff appearance in nine seasons and a first-round series that resulted in pushing the eventual NBA champion Boston Celtics to seven games, Thrashers ticket sales are sure to be a challenge.

The team finished 28th in the 30-team NHL and with the exception of defenseman Ron Hainsey, largely was unable to make a splash in free agency.

The perception of the team has taken a beating around the league in recent weeks, especially in an article in the St. Petersberg Times last week when top-tier defenseman Dan Boyle was quoted as saying the Tampa Bay Lightning threatened him by putting him on waivers where he would be claimed by Thrashers as leverage to wave his no-trade clause: "...at the end of the day, I was misled and lied to and completely disrespected," Boyle told the paper of the Lightning's actions. "When you threaten to be put on waivers and end up in Atlanta, it was an eye-opening situation for me."

What a sad situation to be in for all the employees of the ASG. You never know when you will be let go or not retained. This is far more than just Josh Childress who is out front. Maybe this will prove that ASG are not handling there employees behind the scenes as well as those out front.

Quote:

What a sad situation to be in for all the employees of the ASG. You never know when you will be let go or not retained. This is far more than just Josh Childress who is out front. Maybe this will prove that ASG are not handling there employees behind the scenes as well as those out front.

That my friend is an excellent point. They are a cheap, 2bit organization. I want no part of Levenson, Belkin, Gearon, Seydel, or any of these clowns.

Quote:

Atlanta Business Chronicle

I don't know if this article has been posted already.

The shedding of Atlanta Spirit LLC executives continued July 10 with the decision not to renew the contract of chief marketing officer Lou DePaoli, who handled the day-to-day operations of ticket sales for the NBA's Hawks and NHL's Thrashers and had nearly half of the entity's 320 employees reporting to him.

"I'm leaving," DePaoli said. "I had some time to reflect. My contract ended. I decided time to move on to a new challenge."

He said he has been in correspondence with a number of people about future employment, including NBA commissioner David Stern via e-mail.

Starting in October 2007, senior vice president of communications Tom Hughes departed for a job with public relations firm Hope-Beckham Inc. In January, the ownership elected to part ways with CEO Bernie Mullin and chief financial officer Bill Duffy, choosing to take a more active role in the management of the franchises and Philips Arena. Vice president of human resources Ginni Siler was another executive who has departed the company in recent months.

None have been replaced by the ownership group, which remains in litigation with estranged owner Steve Belkin over how to buyout Belkin's large minority share.

DePaoli, 41, came from the NBA's team services division at the league's New York headquarters, where he worked under Mullin, who came to the Spirit with the recommendation of Stern. DePaoli's contract expired on June 30 and his last day will be July 11. He was informed that his contract would not be renewed earlier in the week after returning from vacation, a source said.

An e-mail that DePaoli sent to Spirit employees on July 9 announcing his departure obtained by Atlanta Business Chronicle said: "My departure will impact a number of departments and over the next few days the Executive Committee will share with you the company's plans for a new reporting structure for those affected by this change.

I wish all of you the best of luck in the future and look forward to seeing both the Hawks and Thrashers in the playoffs next season."

The executive committee ownership created to report to it in Mullin's absence now has been reduced from seven to six. That panel consists of Bob Williams, the arena president, Rick Sund, general manager of the Hawks, Don Waddell, general manager of the Thrashers, in-house counsel Scott Wilkinson, Tracy White, vice president of broadcasting and sponsorships, and Phil Ebinger, vice president of finance.

At this point, it appears that DePaoli will not be replaced. A message was left on the cell phone of Spirit owner Michael Gearon Jr. and a request for comment was sent to the e-mail address of his Blackberry.

In his position as chief marketing officer, DePaoli used statistical analysis to project attendance for individual games and created strategies -- discounts, group sales, advertising and other marketing -- to improve attendance. He also was instrumental in setting the organization's prices for tickets, as he has attempted to push them higher on both the Hawks and Thrashers' sides to increase revenue and get them closer to the league averages.

While Hawks' ticket sales have indicated a rise after their first playoff appearance in nine seasons and a first-round series that resulted in pushing the eventual NBA champion Boston Celtics to seven games, Thrashers ticket sales are sure to be a challenge.

The team finished 28th in the 30-team NHL and with the exception of defenseman Ron Hainsey, largely was unable to make a splash in free agency.

The perception of the team has taken a beating around the league in recent weeks, especially in an article in the St. Petersberg Times last week when top-tier defenseman Dan Boyle was quoted as saying the Tampa Bay Lightning threatened him by putting him on waivers where he would be claimed by Thrashers as leverage to wave his no-trade clause: "...at the end of the day, I was misled and lied to and completely disrespected," Boyle told the paper of the Lightning's actions. "When you threaten to be put on waivers and end up in Atlanta, it was an eye-opening situation for me."

How can this not make you feel good about the Hawks?

smack.gif

• Premium Member

My guess is that you regard anyone who doesn't utterly despise the ownership group as an "apologist."

If so, I gladly accept the label... that's as opposed to being lumped into a category on the opposite side where there is no conscious thought but only knee-jerk reaction.

(That's not to suggest that all ASG critics are that as a result of knee-jerk reaction, any more than to suggest it's valid to say that all ASG apologists do so out of a knee-jerk reaction.)

Having said all of that...

I've scoured this article, and must be reading right over top of it.... humor me... so, WHAT EXACTLY IS IT that suggests here anything more than a decision to eliminate a middle management position? I see nothing here, except what amounts to a slight by a hockey player... is that your point?... I'm supposed to care what a hockey player thinks of playing in ATL? Because, I guess, since one hockey player has opinion X, that's what all NBA players think of playing in ATL...?????? If that's your schtick.... I'm sorry, but this is a woefully impotent thread for your purposes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I didn't know there were ASG apologists...

There aren't, on this board at least.

There are plenty of us who think it's just laziness to blame them for everything. This board has always wanted to have its scapegoats, and it won't be reasoned with.

Quote:

My guess is that you regard anyone who doesn't utterly despise the ownership group as an "apologist."

If so, I gladly accept the label... that's as opposed to being lumped into a category on the opposite side where there is no conscious thought but only knee-jerk reaction.

(That's not to suggest that all ASG critics are that as a result of knee-jerk reaction, any more than to suggest it's valid to say that all ASG apologists do so out of a knee-jerk reaction.)

Having said all of that...

I've scoured this article, and must be reading right over top of it.... humor me... so, WHAT EXACTLY IS IT that suggests here anything more than a decision to eliminate a middle management position? I see nothing here, except what amounts to a slight by a hockey player... is that your point?... I'm supposed to care what a hockey player thinks of playing in ATL? Because, I guess, since one hockey player has opinion X, that's what all NBA players think of playing in ATL...?????? If that's your schtick.... I'm sorry, but this is a woefully impotent thread for your purposes.

For the record, the article mentions the departures of two VPs, but also the CEO and CFO. In most companies, the CEO and CFO are the top two executives, not middle management positions.

Quote:

None have been replaced by the ownership group
, which remains in litigation with estranged owner Steve Belkin over how to buyout Belkin's large minority share.

They are cutting employees and not replacing them. They are frugal on the business side and now are being frugal with not signing Smoove to a respectable deal.(at least 11mil). The Hockey player is only an example to show the ASG are not respected in that league and now aren't in the NBA.

So what is your point? Are you choosing to be blind and follow a group who may be successful in there personal business but are horrible when it comes to the Hawks and Thrashers.

Next time don't scour but actually read the full article before you react. Thats what I call a knee jerk reaction!

Quote:

Quote:

There are plenty of us who think it's just laziness to blame them for everything. This board has always wanted to have its scapegoats, and it won't be reasoned with.

No one apologizes for the group. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't blame them completely for the current debacle, however, as I said before this is a rut which the Hawks are slipping into of complacency, et. al.

Khaos, how old are you ? Your freaking out b/c they terminated a marketing position ? Any bozo can do that. What degree or position is worth less then a marketing degree ? In down times that is the kind of "fat" that gets cut out.

Do you not have friends being laid off left and right the last 2 years ? We are in a recession and every business is cutting cost, down sizing, and laying of workers left and right. The American tourist industry is taking this on the head. If it were not for Europeans getting "value-vacations" with their "mighty" Euro, or you would be seeing hotels closing left and right.

There are only 2 areas doing well ? Discout Stores and Outlets such as Wal -Mart and Sam's Club and cheap beer like Old Milwaulkee. Those are basically the only sectors of the market that show any growth at all.

The biggest Ford Dealership in Ga. is in my town. They laid off 40 people last week. They replaced then with ZERO. One of the 40 is a close friend of mine who worked the last 9 years for them. Oh, by the way.....he was the head of the marketing dept too.

Welcome to the Real World !

• Premium Member

Quote:

For the record, the article mentions the departures of two VPs, but also the CEO and CFO. In most companies, the CEO and CFO are the top two executives, not middle management positions.

No slight intended.

The article is actually about the Chief Marketing Officer's departure, who I take it, is pretty high up the chain of command... Arthur Triche's boss, probably (?).

Big salary, no doubt.

I was seeking something that said, "I'm leaving because these guys are imbeciles." I found something like "I look forward to seeing the Hawks in the playoffs." And I suppose, I we all are expected to interpret that as "I really wish I could say what I actually feel, but I'm going to be professional about it so that I don't end up with a dead horse in my bed."

Quote:

Quote:

i don't think people are blaming them for everything that has happened. However whenever you continue to show ineptness, yes, people will say you suck. If you want to figure if they suck or not, imagine the Pistons or the Spurs or the Lakers having the exact same circumstances the last few years as us and tell me you think they would have handled the several issues the same way.

Quote:

Khaos, how old are you ? Your freaking out b/c they terminated a marketing

Slow down bro! First of all, I posted the article to show that 1) that this ownership group's mess has spread beyond the sports arena, 2) to provide more information in terms of how they are perceived (read the comments from the guy the Thrashers pursued and 3) in the wake of the Childress deal, the article was relevant. In terms of me saying there are apologists, that's one man's opinion (just as it's other's opinion that would disagree with mine and say the board doesn't have ASG apologists). I never pointed fingers or called out names. However, we're all entitled to our opinions. That's until you call out my name...

coachx you put works in my mouth and claimed that I was going on about a media guy got fired. No where in any of my post (look for yourself) did I make any beef about this guy losing his job. Yes, I know have lost jobs in the ATL area. Hell, I have family members that lost their jobs. Before you take the pulpit and sermonize to me about the "real world" read what I wrote, in the context of the article, recent developments, and actual things you can QUOTE that I said. In addition, I know that in the "real world" people get laid off. However, in the "sports world" very few organizations are ran as poorly as the ASG. That's my argument. And as a paying fan, I'm entitled to it.

To sarcastically ask "how old are you" and welcome me to the "real world"...isn't cool and I don't get down like that. Criticize me by what I say, but don't question me on what you think I said. Nuff said.

My purpose for posting this was to support a claim that I made...that the Spirit group is a cheap imbecilic group that doesn't deserve support. That's not to say they don't share blame with others. Woody deserves blame. The players deserve blame. BK deserves blame. To a lesser degree Sund does. However, the problem clearly starts at the top. If the Spirit provided a culture that didn't breed litigation, snide comments from players and league insiders, unhappy players, and an unfulfilled fanbase, I wouldn't have to make my assertion (that they have apologists). Again, I stand by what I say, without directly attacking anybody.

In the long run...we both want the same thing, the Hawks to win. However, I'm of the opinion that in order to get this ownership group to straighten up or sell, we need to call them to task, stop paying our hard earned dollars, and call them out when they are slipping.

Disagree with me? Cool. But don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:

Disagree with me? Cool. But don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry.

My impression was that you were freaking out b/c the head of the marketing dept did not get his contract renewed. I thought that was your point based on the article and the subject of your thread. If that is not your point then I misunderstood you.

We definately want the same thing in the Hawks to improve as a basketball team.