• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Back In School @ Unc & Working Out With May

Traceman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
To me that's the best part. Not only belittle Marvin for going back to school, but also belittle his degree choice. I hope there's nobody here that got their degree in African American Studies since obviously that is a huge waste.

The truth will be on the court.

You see, you can't neglect what you're getting paid for because you want a pat on the back?

The purpose of a degree is to help you earn a living. Forget this mumbo jumbo about being more educated. You can educate yourself prolly much better than UNC can.... especially if you have money.

I belittle Marvin's choice of focus. I respect people who earn a living with an AA studies degree. More power to them. However, Marvin in 1 year in the nBA will make more money than those people make in a lifetime. Moreover, Marvin with his 1 year of wages in the NBA will have enough money to properly educate himself and build his own library of AA studies (if he so choose to). I belittle his choice of focus because he's 90 hours away from his degree and he's not a great basketball player yet.

That's what I'm saying.

Right now, he's choosing a hobby over his profession.

The truth will be on the court.

You see, you can't neglect what you're getting paid for because you want a pat on the back?

The purpose of a degree is to help you earn a living. Forget this mumbo jumbo about being more educated. You can educate yourself prolly much better than UNC can.... especially if you have money.

I belittle Marvin's choice of focus. I respect people who earn a living with an AA studies degree. More power to them. However, Marvin in 1 year in the nBA will make more money than those people make in a lifetime. Moreover, Marvin with his 1 year of wages in the NBA will have enough money to properly educate himself and build his own library of AA studies (if he so choose to). I belittle his choice of focus because he's 90 hours away from his degree and he's not a great basketball player yet.

That's what I'm saying.

Hey D, didn't you praise Al for going back to school to work on his degree?

• Premium Member
Are you f'in serious ?!

You are taking your Marvin hate affair too far. Education is more important than basketball, because he could "Shaun Livingston" himself in a game and no longer have a basketball career. Then what ?

He still has plenty of time to improve his basketball skills, and even has another NBA player to play with. The reason people are asking 'why he's there ?' is because he is a millionaire that doesn't need to get his degree, but he's such a respectable young person that he takes it upon himself to finish his education.

Why is education more important than making 5.5 Million dollars per year with the possibility of making 10-12 Million per year?

Please explain that to me.

If his education was in finance or business or even legal systems, I might be somewhat on board. However, he's basically a hIstory major. How is that more important than making what we've discussed. Moreover, he has 90 Hours left!!!

Explain how this is more than a hobby!!

• Premium Member

So, Childress going to be an ambassador to China was the same thing, right?

Players playing in the Olympics are doing the same thing, right?

Players who donated their time to help in New Orleans after the hurricane are doing the same thing, right?

You've just walked headlong into an untenable statement, D. My advice would be back off of it.

You have no right to "belittle" Marvin's focus. Not to mention you are wrong, because he is practicing his basketball skills. All that stuff about Marvin can educate himself is BS. Thinking he's doing this as a hobby is even more BS. I guess you wont be happy until Marvin works (unlike most of the NBA) 12 hours everyday on his game. Whatever. You need to get a grip on what's important, not to you, but to him. It's not about what you think he should be doing, it's about what he feels is best for him as a man. After all, he's not going to be playing basketball all of his life.

By the way, the benefit of a degree is to help you earn a living. The purpose is to gain more knowledge in the field you are studying. Master P's son, Little Romeo, has enough money to sit back and BS the rest of his life away. However, do you know what he's doing ? He's working hard to play ball and get a degree @ USC.

• Premium Member
Hey D, didn't you praise Al for going back to school to work on his degree?

I don't think so. However, Al's prolly got 118 credit hours under his belt. Marvin has 90 Hours to go. There's a big difference. IF Marvin were close or if Marvin were as good as Al out the gate, I would give him a break. But Marvin in the past has shown no motivation to get better. That's a problem. Moreover, I don't expect this to be a recurring them for AL. That's why he stayed 4 years.

• Premium Member
So, Childress going to be an ambassador to China was the same thing, right?

Players playing in the Olympics are doing the same thing, right?

Players who donated their time to help in New Orleans after the hurricane are doing the same thing, right?

You've just walked headlong into an untenable statement, D. My advice would be back off of it.

Childress promoting basketball in China is what? Basketball.

Players playing basketball in the Olympics is what? Basketball.

Marvin working towards a 90 hour AA studies degree is a HOBBIE...

Might as well be on tour with phish... or lugging a chess set from town to town.

I don't think so. However, Al's prolly got 118 credit hours under his belt. Marvin has 90 Hours to go. There's a big difference. IF Marvin were close or if Marvin were as good as Al out the gate, I would give him a break. But Marvin in the past has shown no motivation to get better. That's a problem. Moreover, I don't expect this to be a recurring them for AL. That's why he stayed 4 years.

Al was in college for 3 years not 4.

• Premium Member
You have no right to "belittle" Marvin's focus. Not to mention you are wrong, because he is practicing his basketball skills. All that stuff about Marvin can educate himself is BS. Thinking he's doing this as a hobby is even more BS. I guess you wont be happy until Marvin works (unlike most of the NBA) 12 hours everyday on his game. Whatever. You need to get a grip on what's important, not to you, but to him. It's not about what you think he should be doing, it's about what he feels is best for him as a man. After all, he's not going to be playing basketball all of his life.

By the way, the benefit of a degree is to help you earn a living. The purpose is to gain more knowledge in the field you are studying. Master P's son, Little Romeo, has enough money to sit back and BS the rest of his life away. However, do you know what he's doing ? He's working hard to play ball and get a degree @ USC.

You say alot against the self educated right there eazy-roc...

You say even more against those who have the money to educate themselves.

I'll send your regards to Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

But Marvin in the past has shown no motivation to get better. That's a problem.

Diesel, can you break down how Marvin spends all of his time in the summer? I assume you have a spy watching him 24/7 and he sends you updates so you can make sure you aren't talking out of your a** when you make comments like this.

Shout into a storm much? :)

I went through this last season about Marvin in the offseason. What a man does in his off time is his own business and NOT mines.

What does that mean? I could care less what Marvin or anyone else on this team does in there off time. What I do care about is what I see on the court. And what I have have seen thus far is a guy without the passion to be a great player in this league. I have a problem with this from the #2 pick.

I would rather have a guy like Smoove who wants to be great on the floor than a guy who is thinking about his post career three years into his NBA career. That might sound harsh but it is what it is.

Nothing wrong with that. I think it's a good thing for him to think about life after basketball. Although, I care more about him producing on the court, I'm not going to knock the man for trying to better himself with education.

Why are you not doing your GD job?!?

Sean May isn't going to help Marvin Williams get better. He needs to be working out with players who have made a name for theirselves in the league. He definitely won't be getting 12million next offseason.

That is the MFing problem with MW. Pick up game practicing with Sean baby fat May is not going to improve your skill set, extend your range, or anything.

MW CHOSE to leave basketball early. His CHOICE dictated that he devote himself to remediate basketball work to make up for his failure to develop prior to his jump to the NBA. Offseason after offseason we learn that, as wonderful a person as he may be to have watch your pooch over the weekend, MW is a lousy professional! out of shape interviews to core strengthening to pick-up game offseasons should do nothing but convince people of MW meager desires to perform much less be good at his job.

W