• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who Is The Better Pf ?

EazyRoc

Who is the better power forward ?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let me first clarify by saying I do NOT mean player. I don't think it's much of a debate as to who is the better player.

Who do you think is the better PF ? Josh Smith or Al Horford.

I really can't decide, myself. Part of me says it's Al Horford, but Josh Smith is the better scorer and shotblocker. Even though Josh plays PF, he doesn't play like a PF. He prefers to dribble coast-to-coast and play on the perimeter offensively, like a wing.

Anyways, what do you guys think ?

Let me first clarify by saying I do NOT mean player. I don't think it's much of a debate as to who is the better player.

I really can't decide, myself. Part of me says it's Al Horford, but Josh Smith is the better scorer and shotblocker. Even though Josh plays PF, he doesn't play like a PF. He prefers to dribble coast-to-coast and play on the perimeter offensively, like a wing.

Just so you know, he may like to play on the perimeter but he also scores almost twice as many points as Al around the basket (more efficiently too) and he gets about twice as many free throws from being aggressive around the hoop.

Just so you know, he may like to play on the perimeter but he also scores almost twice as many points as Al around the basket (more efficiently too) and he gets about twice as many free throws from being aggressive around the hoop.

Thank you, but I already knew that.

Yes, but J Smith also has a significantly higher usage rate. 23.6 vs. 15

Having only seen Horford in limited PF minutes with a poor center like ZaZa by his side it is tough to gage him as a full time PF. I voted Smith b/c he is proven he can guard the likes of KG fairly well in a 7 game play off series.

Alot depends on the chemistry between the PF and the Center they would play with as to who is best at PF.

For instance, if a undersized or fairly quick and atheletic center like Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalembert is on the team I'd take Horford's strength at PF.

If a big slow center is on the team like Big Z (Ilgalskus), Kaman, or Yao Ming are at center then I would take Smith at PF to help mask their poor transition defense.

If the center is just ZaZa and/or Morris then we are screwed either way but give me Smith b/c we should need some scoring ! I don't want ZaZa thinking he is the "go to" option in the post again.

If we want to get on the pipe and pretend Amir Johnson is the next Camby / Dalembert then I's take Horford's muscel b/c Amir is not going to body up any big guys in the post with that skinny and frail frame.

Edited by coachx

Horford, to me, is more of a 'prototypical' power forward. Josh Smith, on the other hand, is like a hybrid small forward/power forward. I'd go with what coachx says. In the long run, I'd really rather have Horford because he's a proven winner, and he brings his A game every day... that's just something I really like about him.

Give Horf another year and there won't be any question. I think it is pretty amazing that there is even a question to be raised between a 4th year player and a rookie,. That speaks for itself.

its amazing because there is somehow a question being raised when it's not even close. like i said before, saying horford is better than smoove is like saying dennis rodman was better the scottie pippen

It is close. I don't know how you think Josh Smith is significantly better at the PF position to the point where it's not close. Either that or you have something against Horford.

i have nothing against horford, i'm so glad we lucked up and got him, but i'm just looking at this in terms of reality.

So am I. Josh Smith is a great PF, I love to have him on our team. The reality is Al Horford was close to Josh Smith as far as being a PF. Josh Smith had way more impact on our team and he's the better player. However, the fact that people can debate about this just goes to show you that the difference between them at the PF isn't as great as you tried to make it seem.

I will say draw, there are things I like about Al at PF and same for Smith. Based on last season, I would call even. For the future I think Al will be miles ahead of Smith at the position.