• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can You Handle The Truth?

mattlanta

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true...I might try it...I could be the next Diesel? Or not!!!!

Am I really on pace to be the fastest to 1000 someone?

Maybe, but I doubt it. This isn't Diesels 1st user name so he probably has 50,000 posts in reality, although I think it's his 1st in the last 6 years that we have officially been "Hawksquawk.net".

There's no way to track this that I know of though.

They'll say that you don't understand the "behind the scenes" activities going on with the ASG which prevent the Hawks from offering Josh Smith fair market value.

What about Josh Smith accepting a fair team deal? One that is both fair to him and will help to pay for the other players on the team? Say 10-11 guaranteed with incentives up to 12 million.

If they honestly believe that Smith is only worth $9 million then they are idiots.

Smith is the second best player on the team. Even if they did slightly overpay him how does it set a dangerous precedent? That makes no sense. He outperformed his rookie contract by a mile.

There is a dangerous precedent being set. The other Hawks players and free agents around the league are looking at how the Hawks are handling Smith and it will certainly come into play when they decide whether or not they want to play here.

The Hawks spent $3.5 million/yr for Blo Wright. They spent $6 million/yr for Speedy. Overpaying easily replacable scrubs is a much bigger problem than taking care of your core players.

Thank you, Exodus. Anyone else think this is the kind of thing Sekou should be saying? He is so soft on the ASG. There is no excuse for what has happened. If his skills were good enough, the paper would find a way to keep paying him even if the Hawks people stopped talking to him. He shouldn't be afraid to be more critical. I just get so sick of his articles or blogs. His fence sitting on almost every issue is laughable.

Oh, so are the Hawks for not signing Smoove and a gazillion other things.

They'll say that you don't understand the "behind the scenes" activities going on with the ASG which prevent the Hawks from offering Josh Smith fair market value.

Exactly. According to Dolfan we shouldn't be listening to any reports out there. If that is true then why is everyone posting on all these false reports?

Dolfan you say I sound ignorant but you sir sound like the ASG's number one lacky. You continue to make excuses for them. Your latest one is "we don't know if the reports are true". That can be said anytime when it comes to commenting on articles on the web or print.

You don't think Smoove is worth 12mil and the ASG should not be to blame. Your past a company man you may be Micheal Gearon jr. himself.

Exactly. According to Dolfan we shouldn't be listening to any reports out there. If that is true then why is everyone posting on all these false reports?

Dolfan you say I sound ignorant but you sir sound like the ASG's number one lacky. You continue to make excuses for them. Your latest one is "we don't know if the reports are true". That can be said anytime when it comes to commenting on articles on the web or print.

You don't think Smoove is worth 12mil and the ASG should not be to blame. Your past a company man you may be Micheal Gearon jr. himself.

I'm not saying don't listen to reports, but to take them as fact when Sekou is the only person reporting on them seems a little naive. None of us have read any comments from Smoove, his reps, or the ASG so all we can do is go off of Sekou's reports. He might be accurate, or he might not have a clue what they are talking about behind the scenes. I just think it's foolish to take 1 person's report and consider it to be fact and get all upset over it.

No, I don't think Smoove is worth a guaranteed 12 million and neither do many others on here. If he's worth 12 million then let him make it up in incentives that will help the team. If he doesn't achieve those incentives then he won't be worth 12 million anyway.

Are you the type of guy who goes to a car dealership and agrees to pay whatever they want for it?

I'm not saying don't listen to reports, but to take them as fact when Sekou is the only person reporting on them seems a little naive. None of us have read any comments from Smoove, his reps, or the ASG so all we can do is go off of Sekou's reports. He might be accurate, or he might not have a clue what they are talking about behind the scenes. I just think it's foolish to take 1 person's report and consider it to be fact and get all upset over it.

No, I don't think Smoove is worth a guaranteed 12 million and neither do many others on here. If he's worth 12 million then let him make it up in incentives that will help the team. If he doesn't achieve those incentives then he won't be worth 12 million anyway.

Are you the type of guy who goes to a car dealership and agrees to pay whatever they want for it?

No thats why we have NADA and Kelley Blue Book to find out whats a fair price or market value. The value has been set.

If these players were cars Smooves Kelley Blue book value is between 65 -72mil over 6 years. The Bulls, Warriors,Bucks and Bobcats have already set Smooves pay rate. Anything less is a slap in the face and he shouldn't settle.

No thats why we have NADA and Kelley Blue Book to find out whats a fair price or market value. The value has been set.

If these players were cars Smooves Kelley Blue book value is between 65 -72mil over 6 years. The Bulls, Warriors,Bucks and Bobcats have already set Smooves pay rate. Anything less is a slap in the face and he shouldn't settle.

No, those teams have not set his rate. They have established a rate for players that are arguably worth that amount. Again, just because team A overpays for player A does not mean that team B has to overpay for player B. It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

For the record - Camby's base salary is $8 million. He has a ton of incentives - most based on games played - if he goes 65 games which is what is expected - he'll make $10 mil - and thus his cap number. He can make up to about $11.8 or so on other incentives - but his expected salary as ruled by the league - is $10 mil

No, those teams have not set his rate. They have established a rate for players that are arguably worth that amount. Again, just because team A overpays for player A does not mean that team B has to overpay for player B. It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

How do you establish a "market rate" if not by looking at the rate the market is producing?

I'm curious as to what your definition of "market rate" is.

I think you are looking at it in terms of what an expert objective analysis might produce, but not the market rate.

link

Iguodala Could Get More Than Deng?

Aug 07, 2008 11:46 AM EST

A source indicated that the Sixers and agent Rob Pelinka are discussing a deal for Andre Iguodala worth more than $70 million over five years. That would mean $12 million next year, with annual raises of $1.26 million.

That deal would exceed those of fellow fourth-year pros Luol Deng (six years, $71 million) and Emeka Okafor (six years, $72 million).

Via PhillyBurbs.com

Smoove is as good as all of these RFA's getting paid. If you or the ASG can't see this then you both are made for each other.

all this talk of what the other players will think is absurd. Joe Johnson knows the ASG will pay up. He can look at his own contract. Maybe it will be a wake up call to the players that "hey, I'm not bigger than the team. Maybe I should get my but in line and listen to the coach. Maybe I shouldn't expect them to overpay me when my team hasn't made .500 the whole time I've been here."

Edited by sultanofatl

all this talk of what the other players will think is absurd. Joe Johnson knows the ASG will pay up. He can look at his own contract. Maybe it will be a wake up call to the players that "hey, I'm not bigger than the team. Maybe I should get my but in line and listen to the coach. Maybe I shouldn't expect them to overpay me when my team hasn't made .500 the whole time I've been here."

I'm not sure I get this, Joe Johnson should be comfortable knowing that he will get overpaid but none of the other players should expect to get anywhere near what similar/inferior players are pulling in?