• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Match Offer

DrReality

Of corse things were OK. I mean its not like one of our best young players bolted for Greece this summer and we got JACKSHYYT for him. lol I mean that kind of thing happens all the time to good organizations right.

Childress wanted to start. His post Hawks comments tacitly admitted this. The die was originally cast with the drafting of Marvin. I blame Knight for burning two straight lottery picks on SF's. You can argue who is better but I never saw the two coexisting longterm or the team paying for both. It would be silly to wrap up $15+ million in a position manned by two average players who limit one another's court time. How many times was Marvin yanked mid-1st quarter despite having a hot hand? Part of it was Woody's idiocy, sure, but the "need" to give Childress his minutes also played a factor.

It's also not wise to spend way over the MLE for a bench player. And while Evans isn't as good as Childress he's certainly close enough that $2.5 million for his services is a better investment than $7 million for Josh. It's extra room for keeping JJ and Horford in the future. I'd also prefer having Evans outside the arc and Smith in the post instead of Smith outside the arc and Childress in the post

Aug 08, 2008 10:17 PM EST

Atlanta Hawks General Manager Rick Sund announced tonight that the club has retained forward Josh Smith and matched the offer sheet of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Tonight, the Hawks organization received an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies for Josh Smith,” said Sund. “We are happy to announce that we will match their offer sheet. Ownership, management and the team are happy to have Josh return as a member of the Hawks. We look forward to training camp in October and we will continue to look at additional opportunities to improve our roster.”

Smith, whom the Hawks drafted with the 17th pick overall in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, has finished second in the NBA in blocks per game in each of the past two years and averaged team-highs in blocks per game (2.80) and steals per game (1.57), while also ranking second on the Hawks in points per game (17.2), rebounds per game (8.2) and assists per game (3.4) in 81 appearances last season

So, obvious, stupid question....

Now we have Josh Smith for the next 5 years under contract at $58M?

Childress wanted to start. His post Hawks comments tacitly admitted this. The die was originally cast with the drafting of Marvin. I blame Knight for burning two straight lottery picks on SF's. You can argue who is better but I never saw the two coexisting longterm or the team paying for both. ...

You got that right S-V !!!

(although for about the 516th time it's been posted on HS)

Everybody have fun tonight!!....because we still got Smoove tonight !!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

It's also not wise to spend way over the MLE for a bench player. And while Evans isn't as good as Childress he's certainly close enough that $2.5 million for his services is a better investment than $7 million for Josh.

You do have that right S-V....although I wouldn't really call JC a "bench player". He almost always was in there at the end. Still, the ASG must be walking on the ceiling now. They don't have to watch JC KILL at another NBA club and they have resigned JS. There is money to spend without going over the cap for a guy like Harrison or to work a trade with the exceptions.

Let's face it...there is ground to be made up. Milw got Jefferson and the other bottom feeders had draft picks. I like our core though.