• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Match Offer

DrReality

Aug 08, 2008 10:17 PM EST

Atlanta Hawks General Manager Rick Sund announced tonight that the club has retained forward Josh Smith and matched the offer sheet of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Tonight, the Hawks organization received an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies for Josh Smith,” said Sund. “We are happy to announce that we will match their offer sheet. Ownership, management and the team are happy to have Josh return as a member of the Hawks. We look forward to training camp in October and we will continue to look at additional opportunities to improve our roster.”

Smith, whom the Hawks drafted with the 17th pick overall in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, has finished second in the NBA in blocks per game in each of the past two years and averaged team-highs in blocks per game (2.80) and steals per game (1.57), while also ranking second on the Hawks in points per game (17.2), rebounds per game (8.2) and assists per game (3.4) in 81 appearances last season

• Premium Member

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...josh_smith.html

"It's all about getting it done now," Smith said by phone Friday evening from Houston, where he has been working out all summer. "Obviously, what happened with [Josh] Childress ... I'm positive that could have been avoided, too. It wasn't like we were trying to hit the Hawks over the head for more than what we thought we were worth.

"All we wanted to do was be appreciated for the hard work we've put in the last four years and the strides that were made. But this summer, it never seemed like that happened."

Blah, blah, blah.

He's a Hawk again!

• Admin

now lets finish the roster. Resign West and Richardson and then go after a big man and another backup SF/SG.

I liked what I saw of Luke Jackson and I think he should get a chance. He is a good 3 point shooter and a good defender.

The big man on the other hand is a problem. THere is not a lot of quality out there now. Actually with Elson going to the Bucks there really is nothing. Maybe Jamal Magloire. He will be cheap, he is a veteran and has been good in the past. He can backup Horford and Zaza.

Hawks match offer, keep Josh Smith

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/08/08

The Hawks didn't waste anytime figuring out what to do with the offer made to restricted free agent Josh Smith.

They matched the Memphis Grizzlies' five-year, $58 million offer hours after the offer sheet was hand-delivered to Hawks general manager Rick Sund on Friday, according to Smith's agents.

RELATED STORIES

Hawks match offer, keep Josh Smith

Josh Smith signs $58M offer sheet with Grizzlies

Q&A with Hawks forward Marvin Williams

More Hawks coverage

"I don't think the process should have gone the way that it did," said Brian Dyke, one of Smith's agents, "but they matched, and we have to move forward."

This brings an end to a six-week saga that began July 1 with Smith, a 22-year-old forward, being courted by the Philadelphia 76ers and the Los Angeles Clippers, among other teams.

The final deal is $13 million more than the only offer made by the Hawks, a five-year, $45 million deal that Smith turned down in October. But not nearly as lucrative as the deals handed out to other restricted free agents, such as Luol Deng ($71 million with incentives) and Emeka Okafor ($72 million).

"It's all about getting it done now," Smith said by phone Friday evening from Houston, where he has been working out all summer. "Obviously, what happened with [Josh] Childress ... I'm positive that could have been avoided, too. It wasn't like we were trying to hit the Hawks over the head for more than what we thought we were worth.

"All we wanted to do was be appreciated for the hard work we've put in the last four years and the strides that were made. But this summer, it never seemed like that happened."

Until now. The Hawks had seven days to match the offer made by the Grizzlies or lose Smith without compensation. But they bucked a summer-long trend that marked their negotiations with both Smith and Childress, who bolted two weeks ago for a three-year, $20 million offer from Greek power Olympiakos, and acted immediately.

They always were. Fans let their paranoia run wild for no reason. Silly, really.

Of corse things were OK. I mean its not like one of our best young players bolted for Greece this summer and we got JACKSHYYT for him. lol I mean that kind of thing happens all the time to good organizations right.

yeah I hope he's still working with Hakeem in Houston. He needs to get that post game down more. He made a few good moves this year they just need to be more consistent and be able for him to go to it at anytime.

Of corse things were OK. I mean its not like one of our best young players bolted for Greece this summer and we got JACKSHYYT for him. lol I mean that kind of thing happens all the time to good organizations right.

Kudos to Sund and the ASG on Smoove. They gambled on won. ON Chillz they gambled and lost. All and all I think Mo Evans gives they Hawks more than Chillz did. He plays the position the way it is supposed to be played where Chillz was basically an interior guard.