capstone21

• Admin

Currently

Bibby/Law/Claxton

JJ/Evans

Marvin

Smith/Solo

Horford/Zaza/Morris

If we resign Richardson and West we still have 2 spots. Who do we go after?

I like Luke Jackson with his shooting and defense.

There are no big men out there now. Do we consider Jamal Magloire for cheap or look elsewhere?

Edited by capstone21

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

You have 11 players under contract:

Bibby/Law

JJ/Evans

Marvin

Smith/Horford

Zaza/Morris

IR: Claxton, Jones

My guess? Two guaranteed contracts and one partially guaranteed contract. You need, IMHO, to give a non-guaranteed contract to a guard that can defend the 1 in case Claxton can't go. You would want at least one more wing, and one more big man.

You have the following tools:

Up to $3.05M in MLE money.

Up to $1.9M in BAE money.

Minimum contracts

The QO that is extended to J-Rich (~$1M)

• Admin
You need, IMHO, to give a non-guaranteed contract to a guard that can defend the 1 in case Claxton can't go.

If we go after a guy who defends the point I hope he can also guard the 2. I don't want 4 little guys. I am hoping the speedy is able to play this year. We would have an excellent rotation at PG and will give teams a lot of different looks and dimensions based on the situations.

• Premium Member
If we go after a guy who defends the point I hope he can also guard the 2. I don't want 4 little guys. I am hoping the speedy is able to play this year. We would have an excellent rotation at PG and will give teams a lot of different looks and dimensions based on the situations.

I was thinking a combo guard with better handles than Mario West would be a good sign. His contract wouldn't be guaranteed until January 10th (ish), and by then you'd know what you have in Claxton.

we won't have 4 little guys. Bibby and Claxton are the only small guards we have now

• Admin
we won't have 4 little guys. Bibby and Claxton are the only small guards we have now

I consider Law at 6'3 a little guy. He is not tiny like Bibby and Claxton but I don't think he can guard a 2.

I am actually okay with West playing the spot of defender if Speedy can't go. I think he can easily guard 3 maybe 4 positions on the floor with his quickness, athleticism and strength. He is not a bad ball handler (he played spot minutes at point last year), I just wish he knew how to shoot or even make a layup.

I consider Law at 6'3 a little guy. He is not tiny like Bibby and Claxton but I don't think he can guard a 2.

I am actually okay with West playing the spot of defender if Speedy can't go. I think he can easily guard 3 maybe 4 positions on the floor with his quickness, athleticism and strength. He is not a bad ball handler (he played spot minutes at point last year), I just wish he knew how to shoot or even make a layup.

He's guarded some 2's decently. He's just as close to 6'4 as he is to 6'3. U can't be picky,wou're not going to find alot of 6'6' guys that can guard PG's and SG's.and regarding West,why can't he make a lay-up?i'm pretty sure he can and he's been working on his shot and he knocked down a few 3's in summer league. You're being kind of picky here it seems. You're desribing the perfect bench player if he could do all the things.

Edited by Cwell

• Admin
He's guarded some 2's decently. He's just as close to 6'4 as he is to 6'3. U can't be picky,wou're not going to find alot of 6'6' guys that can guard PG's and SG's.and regarding West,why can't he make a lay-up?i'm pretty sure he can and he's been working on his shot and he knocked down a few 3's in summer league. You're being kind of picky here it seems. You're desribing the perfect bench player if he could do all the things.

I am actually a West fan. I love his energy and attitude and I think he is an excellent defender. That is why I am saying I am good with him being the needed defender to guard the 1. As far as layups he attacks so hard that he has a tendency to clang the ball off the rim or backboard. He does not have a soft touch around the rim. That is what I was referring to.

Another 'big' guy is Josh Powell. A bruiser and rebounder. The Clips surprisingly released him. We could use his toughness.

Agreed Cap...we need toughness...Powell is at least a 6'-9" bruiser. Realistically (unless I missed something) Salim is gone - and I would send Mario with him. Unless Mario has shown something other than the silly 45 second D appearance - toss him and get a guy who has a chance of doing something longterm. As far as Solo - I really would toss him too. BK has screwed up too many 2nd round draft picks so cut em loose. We should have had Milsap or Gomes on this team if BK had any sense. I hate to say this but Acie is gonna be the key this next year...he's gotta stay healthy so we can load up on bigs IMO.

• Admin
Agreed Cap...we need toughness...Powell is at least a 6'-9" bruiser. Realistically (unless I missed something) Salim is gone - and I would send Mario with him. Unless Mario has shown something other than the silly 45 second D appearance - toss him and get a guy who has a chance of doing something longterm. As far as Solo - I really would toss him too. BK has screwed up too many 2nd round draft picks so cut em loose. We should have had Milsap or Gomes on this team if BK had any sense. I hate to say this but Acie is gonna be the key this next year...he's gotta stay healthy so we can load up on bigs IMO.

I think Solo has some talent and you don't just throw big guys away. Especially ones like him that are so cheap. He is not a game changer but he does not need to be. He can play spot minutes when needed and not hurt us when big guys are in foul trouble. As for Salim I am glad he is gone too. After Lue I always hated when Salim the chucker came into the game. He is a frustrating player to watch.

Are we all forgetting about Othello Hunter's performance in the Summer League? Why not give that guy a shot?

I do think the ASG feels our backup big man need was filled with the signing of Morris.

And I did notice that West knocked down a few 3s and jumpers in the Summer League...so maybe he is more than just a energy guy who plays defense with no offense.

We still have the other half of the MLE left, maybe we can find someone?

I think Solo has some talent and you don't just throw big guys away. Especially ones like him that are so cheap. He is not a game changer but he does not need to be. He can play spot minutes when needed and not hurt us when big guys are in foul trouble. As for Salim I am glad he is gone too. After Lue I always hated when Salim the chucker came into the game. He is a frustrating player to watch.

I don't know about Solo. After 2 full seasons he still seems like a project. With Morris already signed I think we have our big man project for the next couple of years. I want a big guy that can step out and hit an 18 footer or a bruiser.

Mario can't shown something other than the 45 secs cameo is because... he didn't play any longer than 45 secs!

Only Woodson and his assistant know what Mario and Solo is capable of in scrimmage and practices. And knowing Woody... I wouldn't trust his sense of knowing anything about his players.

Man... if they haven't push the Celtics to 7 games, we may look at a new coach... hell, just promote someone like Larry Drew to take his place... he couldn't be any worse than mr. potato head.

Show Deke the money !!!!!! I doubt PJ Brown or Finley would come here. Maybe Ratliff or Scott Pollard?

1. Either Deke, Ratliff or Pollard in that order.

2. A shooter like that kid we had in summer league or Richardson or even Piatkowski.

3. Josh Duncun

4. Trade Speedy and Solo for either Darko or if Memphis dont agree then for Antoine Walker. I dont care what anybody says that slob can score off an nba bench.

Edited by NJHAWK