• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie & Bibby Will Determine Marvin's Fate

TheNorthCydeRises

Now that we have Smith locked up, the next 2 guys to look at are Acie and Bibby, and how those two may affect the fate of Marvin.

If Bibby has a great year, and we happen to make some noise in the playoffs because of his play, it's going to be hard just to dismiss Bibby, and hand the ball to Acie. And Bibby playing well, may impact how much we're willing to pay Marvin, because we'll probably be looking to re-sign Bibby before we deal with Marvin.

On the flip side, if Acie starts playing well enough to the point where he and Bibby are basically splitting time at the point, the transition to hand the team over to Acie will be better. ( Think TJ Ford, with Calderon taking over the Raptors this year ). If that's the case, we can just say bye, bye to Bibby, give the ball to Acie, and re-sign Marvin to a reasonable deal of his worth.

As of right now, I think Marvin will improve, but I don't expect him to receive no more than a 5 yr/42 - 45 million dollar deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks offered him a 5 yr / 40 million deal sometime this summer, and see if he bites. I personally wouldn't take it if I were Marvin. But he might, if he and his agent feels like he won't get as many touches as he did last year, with Smith and Bibby getting their share of shots. Horford could possibly take shots away from him as well.

If he does improve to the point where he's our 2nd leading scorer, he could get a 10 million per yer deal from somebody. That's when it will get interesting.

I think it would be smart to put JJ slightly ahead of both Marvin and Bibby. 09-10 will be his last year. If he's not extended he'll be playing that year with no job security and will still be in his prime. A position I'm sure he won't like to be in. I said in another post that when Phoenix played around with him, he bolted here for Atlanta. If we feel like we don't need him anymore than that's one thing, but either this year or next sumnmer we had better deal with him.

With JJ, we know a new contract won't be a reason for him to get lazy. We have no questions about how hard he'll play. That worth something I would think.

I think it would be smart to put JJ slightly ahead of both Marvin and Bibby. 09-10 will be his last year. If he's not extended he'll be playing that year with no job security and will still be in his prime. A position I'm sure he won't like to be in. I said in another post that when Phoenix played around with him, he bolted here for Atlanta. If we feel like we don't need him anymore than that's one thing, but either this year or next sumnmer we had better deal with him.

With JJ, we know a new contract won't be a reason for him to get lazy. We have no questions about how hard he'll play. That worth something I would think.

I agree that JJ should be priority number one. Bibby and Marvin will decide who becomes the second order of business. Its a good problem to have because both Marvin and Bibby must play well in order to get more money next summer.

Good Thread!

Now that we have Smith locked up, the next 2 guys to look at are Acie and Bibby, and how those two may affect the fate of Marvin.

If Bibby has a great year, and we happen to make some noise in the playoffs because of his play, it's going to be hard just to dismiss Bibby, and hand the ball to Acie. And Bibby playing well, may impact how much we're willing to pay Marvin, because we'll probably be looking to re-sign Bibby before we deal with Marvin.

On the flip side, if Acie starts playing well enough to the point where he and Bibby are basically splitting time at the point, the transition to hand the team over to Acie will be better. ( Think TJ Ford, with Calderon taking over the Raptors this year ). If that's the case, we can just say bye, bye to Bibby, give the ball to Acie, and re-sign Marvin to a reasonable deal of his worth.

As of right now, I think Marvin will improve, but I don't expect him to receive no more than a 5 yr/42 - 45 million dollar deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks offered him a 5 yr / 40 million deal sometime this summer, and see if he bites. I personally wouldn't take it if I were Marvin. But he might, if he and his agent feels like he won't get as many touches as he did last year, with Smith and Bibby getting their share of shots. Horford could possibly take shots away from him as well.

If he does improve to the point where he's our 2nd leading scorer, he could get a 10 million per yer deal from somebody. That's when it will get interesting.

Bibby would have to have an injury to relinquish the point position to Law. But, you are forgetting about Speedy.

If Speedy is healthy, he is clearly the backup to Bibby. It also enables Bibby to slide over to SG when matches permit.

Speedy healthy over Law.

Edited by Swatguy

Bibby would have to have an injury to relinquish the point position to Law. But, you are forgetting about Speedy.

If Speedy is healthy, he is clearly the backup to Bibby. It also enables Bibby to slide over to SG when matches permit.

Speedy healthy over Law.

LMAO. Speedy will not play over Acie. and if Acie outplays Bibby the GM can just trade Bibby so Woody can't be stubborn like he was with AJ,Lue and Childress last year.

One thing that Bibby has that AC nor anyone else on the Hawks has is balls to take the take and hit the big shot. Until Smoove can be someone that JJ can defer to late in the 4th - with the clock running down - then Bibby will be a vital part of this team. Acie - right now is a better point guard. But Bibby is the best second option we have when it matters.

LMAO. Speedy will not play over Acie. and if Acie outplays Bibby the GM can just trade Bibby so Woody can't be stubborn like he was with AJ,Lue and Childress last year.

If both are healthy, Speedy has shown to be a better point guard than whatever Acie has shown. You really are all over Acie's nuts aren't you?

If both are healthy, Speedy has shown to be a better point guard than whatever Acie has shown. You really are all over Acie's nuts aren't you?

Dude but in the long run Acie has to be the man, not Speedy. And I disagree with the premise anyhow, Acie has shown flashes way bettern that Slowy.

Dude but in the long run Acie has to be the man, not Speedy. And I disagree with the premise anyhow, Acie has shown flashes way bettern that Slowy.

Like the 3 games where he had more than 5 assists? Or the 7 three pointers that he hit? Or the nine games he had double-digits in scoring?

Until Acie shows me something, I just don't believe that much. There isn't much of a sample size on him though, so that goes in his benefit, although his stats so far are anemic so that hurts him. Maybe if Acie has actually shown something this season it would be different and we could blame it on the injuries or lack of games played, but he hasn't shown anything.

Marv was a number 2 overall pick so his QO is something like 7.4m. That means that unless his agent thinks that his value will actually decline, he has no reason to take a contract that average out to 9m a year or so because the first year would probably be the same (if not less) than what he'd make with the QO, then he'd be UFA in a summer where EVERYONE has been saving money for FAs.

I agree that Acie's development will be the key to how the team spends its money next off-season.