• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hate to mention this another year, but.....

OGRat

Can Woody do it?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe that with all of the new players coming to the Hawks, more pressure is on Woodson. Does he know how to integrate all the new talent? I think he was just figuring out how to use what he had the past two years. I am not sure he ever got used to/knew how to use Bibby

I believe that the team has improved talent wise and should make the next step. Do you think Woody can coach the team as defined to the second round of the playoff? Why or why not?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I believe that with all of the new players coming to the Hawks, more pressure is on Woodson. Does he know how to integrate all the new talent? I think he was just figuring out how to use what he had the past two years. I am not sure he ever got used to/knew how to use Bibby

I believe that the team has improved talent wise and should make the next step. Do you think Woody can coach the team as defined to the second round of the playoff? Why or why not?

Its a good question because while we're still a young team it will have mostly guys who are played plenty of nba minutes. So if we're still in a 6 man rotation i don't think he can use the same excuses he's used in the past about Salim, Mario, Solo, Shelden, Law, Ivey not knowing how to play. I guess Morris may face the Woody doghouse in that respect.

I don't expect much to change though. Evans will take Chill's role. Flip will be Lue/AJ. Everything else will probably look the same. Bibby will make or break Woody's season. If Bibby leads the team on offense successfully it will make all the difference.

Bibby will make or break Woody's season. If Bibby leads the team on offense successfully it will make all the difference.

I agree that Bibby will have a lot to do with our offense, but Woody is going to have to design it. We will need more than 2 plays, one for JJ and one for Bibby.

Did anyone else notice that it seemed like there was more motion in our half court offense in previous years than this past season? It seemed like Woody just got REALLY set in his ways. For example, we used to ALWAYS run an alley-oop for Josh off the tip off and it usually worked, but we didn't run it at all last season.

Its like I noticed with the PnR that one game against NY. It worked so well and then we literally never saw it again.

Edited by crimedog

• Premium Member

As a Hawks fan, I want to believe in this team. I want to think that they'll all live up to their potential and surprise some people. I just don't think that Mike Woodson can get them to that level and I honestly feel like he's holding them back. Will the players win in spite of his influence? Hard to say. If things don't go well I look for him to burn his starters out by February in another attempt to save his job.

It's not really a personal thing with me either. To me, he just seems to be more of the same thing we've had in the wake of Lenny Wilkens. Rookie coach after rookie coach after rookie coach...

Like every year around this time...we'll see what he does

As a Hawks fan, I want to believe in this team. I want to think that they'll all live up to their potential and surprise some people. I just don't think that Mike Woodson can get them to that level and I honestly feel like he's holding them back. Will the players win in spite of his influence? Hard to say. If things don't go well I look for him to burn his starters out by February in another attempt to save his job.

It's not really a personal thing with me either. To me, he just seems to be more of the same thing we've had in the wake of Lenny Wilkens. Rookie coach after rookie coach after rookie coach...

Like every year around this time...we'll see what he does

True. The Hawks were heavily underacheived last season.

I think having players on the bench who can actually contribute in the NBA will make a lot of difference. Woodson has got to focus on putting his team in better positions to succeed offensively. I don't think there's any question as to his qualifications as a defensive coach. How many times have the Hawks came back after being down 10+ at the half by playing great D ? Plenty. The players need to make a commitment to put forth their absolute best efforts on D night in and night out. Woody needs really find out what works for his team, and stick to that.

Some of you seem to believe that Woody can do it. I'd love to hear why. Is it because of Woody or despite Woody?

Any of the 8 of you who think Woody can get it done care to tell us why you think so? Please. Give me something to hope on.

Any of the 8 of you who think Woody can get it done care to tell us why you think so? Please. Give me something to hope on.

He's got the job. TWICE. You keep chippering like a jilted woman. Outside of the MB's, he is respected.

Never read or heard a Player dis him.

He will be the coach next year.

He's got the job. TWICE. You keep chippering like a jilted woman. Outside of the MB's, he is respected.

Never read or heard a Player dis him.

He will be the coach next year.

Not sure why you felt the need to try to insult me but thanks for the response.

Respect is an interesting thing. Some people get it because of the position they are in. Sometimes it does not indicate competency though. Look at Bush.

I would pay good money to sit in on a Hawks practice and listen to Woody and the other coaches and see what it's like. I feel like that can be almost as important as game time coaching. If we could watch a couple practices we could form a much better opinion of Woody as a coach.

I would pay good money to sit in on a Hawks practice and listen to Woody and the other coaches and see what it's like. I feel like that can be almost as important as game time coaching. If we could watch a couple practices we could form a much better opinion of Woody as a coach.

There was a story, about 3 years ago, I think, where Mark Price talked about visiting one of Woodson's "practices". The jist was that the practices were disorganized and consisted mostly of guys doing what they wanted and Woodson yucking it up with other guys in the gym. Price was less than impressed.

That is the only report I have ever seen on how Woody runs practice.