• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you trade Al Horford?

Diesel

Would you do it?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Before you have a heart attack, my reference is the KG trade from last year.

Here's the rest.

IF San Antonio said that they wanted to get some young talent for their aging talent, and they offered us Tim Duncan for Horford and 2 First round picks...

Would you do it??

I really want some discussion here.

Do you think it's better that we wait on potential and forgo trading for any talent?

or

Should we make a move like Boston did and see what we can do right now?

Has Horf shown you enough that you're totally sold on him being the future?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize my opinion is worthless...but:

For Tim Duncan specifically? Yes. We'd win the title with Tim/Smoove/Marvin/JJ/Bibby.

Otherwise? No. Al is a future All Star and with Al Jefferson, Dwight, Bosh is the preeminent young big man in the NBA and showed me enough leadership and skills to convince me.

$0.02!

Tim Duncan? In a nanosecond. He's 32 but he'll be effective til he's 36 and he'll be one of the top 10 players in the league for at least another two years which is two years longer than any current Hawk is likely to have.

Bibby-Johnson-Marvin-Smith-Duncan with Evans, Flip, and Zaza off the bench could contend, not to mention that you can get good role players to join a team on the cheap when you have a guy like Tim on board.

The thing is, you aren't really mortgaging your future. Duncan would be the only guy whose age would be a problem as Joe and Josh would still be around for a while.

I'd like to hear the argument for not doing it.

Look the reality of the situation is this. Financially we'd have to throw in a big contract, Bibby or Joe would work. My thought is that Joe and Al would be the only realistic way to snag Tim Duncan from the Spurs (if Smith was tradable at this point you could swap him in for either and I guess have the same chances).

From the Spurs perspective, they go from legit title contenders - remember, they may have lost to the Lakers in 5 but one of those was an absolute shame (the A admitted they missed the Barry call) and another two of those involved huge Laker comebacks in the second half that probably don't happen if Manu is healthy enough to be better than Finley - to a fringe playoff team in the west. Parker-Gino-Bowen-Fabo-Al is NOT enough to make any serious noise, two first rounders are nice but we have Duncan, Smith, and Joe... those ain't gonna be any good. There is no way the Spurs do this deal without Joe.

Now, on our end. I hear a lot of folks around here talking about what we have to do "to be a championship team". The fact of the matter is, if we could make a trade of Al plus a couple of firsts for TD, we would have a much better shot at a chip than we EVER would building around our core (or you can swap in the much vaunted Chris Kaman, doesn't make a difference, we don't have championship caliber stars). I've contented myself with being a team that should be fun to watch and hopefully can make some noise in the east, if thats what you want and you have some deeply personal connection with Al, don't make the trade... if you want a GOOD shot at winning a title between now and when we stumble upon the first overall pick and a shot at the next true supastah, you make this trade.

Look the reality of the situation is this. Financially we'd have to throw in a big contract, Bibby or Joe would work. My thought is that Joe and Al would be the only realistic way to snag Tim Duncan from the Spurs (if Smith was tradable at this point you could swap him in for either and I guess have the same chances).

From the Spurs perspective, they go from legit title contenders - remember, they may have lost to the Lakers in 5 but one of those was an absolute shame (the A admitted they missed the Barry call) and another two of those involved huge Laker comebacks in the second half that probably don't happen if Manu is healthy enough to be better than Finley - to a fringe playoff team in the west. Parker-Gino-Bowen-Fabo-Al is NOT enough to make any serious noise, two first rounders are nice but we have Duncan, Smith, and Joe... those ain't gonna be any good. There is no way the Spurs do this deal without Joe.

Now, on our end. I hear a lot of folks around here talking about what we have to do "to be a championship team". The fact of the matter is, if we could make a trade of Al plus a couple of firsts for TD, we would have a much better shot at a chip than we EVER would building around our core (or you can swap in the much vaunted Chris Kaman, doesn't make a difference, we don't have championship caliber stars). I've contented myself with being a team that should be fun to watch and hopefully can make some noise in the east, if thats what you want and you have some deeply personal connection with Al, don't make the trade... if you want a GOOD shot at winning a title between now and when we stumble upon the first overall pick and a shot at the next true supastah, you make this trade.

Wow, I can't believe that many said no. I'd do the trade without any hesitation whatsoever and I'm the one who keeps comparing Al with Karl Malone.

As mentioned, the trade would actually have to be Bibby, Al, and a 1st. If the Spurs come out really weak next season and decide to rebuild I guess they might do it at the deadline. They'd get Al plus our mid 1st rounder (I'd guess it's have to be 2010 though, I don't think you can trade you first rounder two years in a row). Then they'd get the capspace at the end of the year. About the only way I see them doing it is if Tim were injured and that's why they were playing poorly and we'd have to trade for him but not get him for our team during that year.

Dropping the Tim Duncan thing though, a deal like that might come available near the deadline. I think most of us would give up Bibby and Al for Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, Bosh, KG. Then it would get more dicey, Nowitski, Yao, Brand, etc. Or if the other teams throw in a contract to make it even out, what about for Chris Paul or Deron? That one is interesting in my mind, I thought I liked Deron as much as a player but I wouldn't make the trade for him but I would for Chris Paul.

• Premium Member
lol @ him not winning in San Antonio,the guy already has rings

but no i wouldnt do it.....

I'm projecting this into the future. What I'm saying is that if Duncan + Manu + Parker can't win, I don't think Duncan + JJ + Smith could either...

Wow, especially after what Boston did I'd think more here would be willing to deal part of our future for a shot very soon. I think that if we gave up Bibby and Al for Tim then our remaining team is of JJ, Smoove, Marvin is better than Manu, Parker, etc. Even if it isn't, it'd be nice to be in contention for a championship and not just a lower playoff slot.