• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks defense

exodus

There were a lot of comments about the Hawks defense last night. I think adding Mo and Flip should help here because i think both are better than average defenders.

However i think the key issue is the guys who aren't here (Childress, Lue and Salim). Those guys were defensive liabilities although i think Salim did show some signs of improvement.

offense comes and goes but defense can be played consistently well every night. When Lue, Childress or Salim had off nights on offense it really hurt because they were consistently weak on D. This is a big reason why i am not a fan of Bibby or Zaza. But at least now we have far fewer defensive liabilities on the court which will enable the Hawks to win a lot more games when the shots aren't falling.

Good post

It will also help, when we play a traditional PF...so Smoove will spend more time in the post on D. This will help eliminate some of the drives to the paint, that Bibby will give up. He was chasing Lewis around the perimeter and still ended with 5 blocks and countless shot alters.

chill was a good defender, but having acie all year (hopefully) + maybe claxton + mo being upgrade defensively from chill + flip being decent + smoove/horford/zaza maturing and improving = better defense

also, chemistry, depth, not having to play guys like JJ 45mpg and not having aj/lue and marvin/solo bulking up will all help our defense

• Premium Member
There were a lot of comments about the Hawks defense last night. I think adding Mo and Flip should help here because i think both are better than average defenders.

However i think the key issue is the guys who aren't here (Childress, Lue and Salim). Those guys were defensive liabilities although i think Salim did show some signs of improvement.

offense comes and goes but defense can be played consistently well every night. When Lue, Childress or Salim had off nights on offense it really hurt because they were consistently weak on D. This is a big reason why i am not a fan of Bibby or Zaza. But at least now we have far fewer defensive liabilities on the court which will enable the Hawks to win a lot more games when the shots aren't falling.

I think that Mo Evans is a better on-ball defender than Chillz & Marvin for that matter. I also think you have to consider though that we are still pretty weak on a person by person basis. Bibs is not a good defender and both Horford and Smoove are out of position. I think what I saw was great rotations. A good team defense can make up for the liabilities of weak defenders. In that respect, I don't think Mo and Flip should get as much praise as Woody. I think our end of the year success has carried over into guys making that extra effort. Plus the maturity of Horf and Acie doesn't hurt.

Bibs is not a good defender

No doubt. Hopefully he can at least start making some shots.

both Horford and Smoove are out of position. I think what I saw was great rotations.

Horford may be out of position but Smith isn't. Setting that dead horse aside i think that Horford's strength defensively is that he can switch out on smaller players, even guards, and do a decent job on them. While he struggles one on one against bigger players he is a strong team defender.

One hidden advantage we have over other teams is that they can't easily take advantage of our starting 4/5 on pick and rolls.

I think what I saw was great rotations.

Really? I saw some good rotations and some good ideas, but the execution was up and down. If Orlando's shooters could actually hit wide open 3s the game would have closer. There was 1 play that the Magic ran at least 4 times where Howard or Battie set an inside screen that got wings wide open shots in the corners.

That said, the defensive rotations should get better as the guys learn each other a little better. They do have to figure out that baseline/key screen that Orlando ran on us, or we are in for a long season of wide-open 3s.

Padded or not it's still an offensive rebound - which gives us another posession/scoring opportunity.

This thread is about defense and Zaza's defensive rebounding blows. He had only 2 defensive rebounds last night which really sucks considering how badly the Magic shot.

Zaza's offensive rebounding doesn't make up for his poor shooting and turnovers. He is a career 45% shooter which is dismal for a center.