• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How to beat a superstar player volume 1

Wurider05

I think that Woody was smart when he left Flip in the game instead of bringing Bibby back in. I think that far too often coaches get scared to go after these superstars offensively. It was quit obvious that Paul could not guard FLip. Flip is a cold blooded scorer. Paul is a great offensive player so you have to make him work on offense. The same technique works against Lebron James. You got to make them work on defense.

It's a strange thing to see Woody coming along like this. He's spreading the minutes nicely (only 36 for Joe last night) and playing the hot hand.

I thought it was great to see how we were unafraid to switch off practically anyone onto Paul. JJ, Marvin, Smoove, Flip, Mo, all got a chance to guard CP3. Paul even tried to post Horford in garbage time and got his junk swatted.

Somewhere, BK is nodding knowingly.

• Admin
It's a strange thing to see Woody coming along like this. He's spreading the minutes nicely (only 36 for Joe last night) and playing the hot hand.

I thought it was great to see how we were unafraid to switch off practically anyone onto Paul. JJ, Marvin, Smoove, Flip, Mo, all got a chance to guard CP3. Paul even tried to post Horford in garbage time and got his junk swatted.

Somewhere, BK is nodding knowingly.

I didn't like him taking Marvin out when he was really hot but I thought he did a good job last night. I agree, the fact that he is giving guys extended rest is a lot better then seasons past. I am glad Joe is getting some rest now.

I said I would give Woodson props when he deserved them and so far he has definitely earned any credit he's getting. The offense still needs some work, but when you can hold a great offensive team under 80 you can afford to play a little sloppy.

I didn't like him taking Marvin out when he was really hot but I thought he did a good job last night. I agree, the fact that he is giving guys extended rest is a lot better then seasons past. I am glad Joe is getting some rest now.

Am I the only that noticed Marvin going to the locker room last night during the 2nd quarter? I don't know how long he was gone or what it was for but I swear I saw him jogging off into the locker room. Maybe he just had to go to the can or something but I know I'm not crazy and I think that's why he sat a good bit of the 2nd quarter.

He keeps coaching like that and I'll never say "Fire Woody, He's no goody" again!

What a helluva game coached by Mike Woodson. Keeping Flip Murray in there in the 4th was the call of the game. Chris Paul scored ZERO in the 4th quarter. ZERO

I was suprised at Paul not attacking Josh when Josh was on him. I'd expect him to play that. He didn't even go hard at Zaza in the fourth when Za was on him.

The offense will come around. Smoove always puts up his best numbers around December and so on. I'm not worried about the offense if the defense keeps playing like this. Maybe Woody does know what he's doing and maybe just maybe BK's 4 year plan just panned out but I do have to give Sund credit for not overpaying Chillz and making our bench have some depth with Mo and Flip. This team looks good and gives other teams nightmares with our matchups and athletiscm.

All I've heard was how good a player West is and how underrrated he is but last night Smoove completely shut him down. The guy was a non factor.

Am I the only that noticed Marvin going to the locker room last night during the 2nd quarter? I don't know how long he was gone or what it was for but I swear I saw him jogging off into the locker room. Maybe he just had to go to the can or something but I know I'm not crazy and I think that's why he sat a good bit of the 2nd quarter.

You're not the only one. I only just got to see the game now, and I noticed Marvin going into the locker room too. No idea why, there was no reference at all about it by the commentators (I was watching the Hornets broadcast).

You're not the only one. I only just got to see the game now, and I noticed Marvin going into the locker room too. No idea why, there was no reference at all about it by the commentators (I was watching the Hornets broadcast).

Thank you for confirming that Rick! Of course the Hornets announcers (who I was listening to as well) weren't going to say anything about it because they were too busy trashing the Hawks ... although a couple of things they said were funny.

I was suprised at Paul not attacking Josh when Josh was on him. I'd expect him to play that. He didn't even go hard at Zaza in the fourth when Za was on him.

IMO, Woody was never as bad as he was potrayed on this board. Not brilliant, but not bad. He stresses the right things: defense and rebounding win games consistently. The difference is that the team has matured and we have veterans on the bench. Mo and Flip as backcourt relief beats the hell out of last year's version of Chill (who I still wish was here at what the Hawks offered if we could also have Mo and Flip) and the then-tentative Acie Law.

The Hawks won't go undefeated, and there will be good reasons to criticize Woody & Co. later, but better players make better coaches.

IMO, Woody was never as bad as he was potrayed on this board. Not brilliant, but not bad. He stresses the right things: defense and rebounding win games consistently. The difference is that the team has matured and we have veterans on the bench. Mo and Flip as backcourt relief beats the hell out of last year's version of Chill (who I still wish was here at what the Hawks offered if we could also have Mo and Flip) and the then-tentative Acie Law.

The Hawks won't go undefeated, and there will be good reasons to criticize Woody & Co. later, but better players make better coaches.

He got a better bench now; even he couldn't mess it up. I hate seeing Childress, Salim and Zaza in the game. Not much offense and no defense and rebounding.

He got a better bench now; even he couldn't mess it up. I hate seeing Childress, Salim and Zaza in the game. Not much offense and no defense and rebounding.

I actually think Chills was decent, as was ZaZa when motivated (NOT last year pre-playoffs). Salim, not so much. I think he had scoring ability, but was more about himself than his team. That led him to hurt us on the floor (and undoubtably in the lockerroom) 98% of the time.

As to our bench, it's better but not so much so that Woody doesn't get some credit, along with Sund. I mean, I'm sure lots of teams could have gotten Mo and Flip, but I doubt they would have made as big a difference elsewhere. It's all about having proven vets rather than unsure young players, both in the starting lineup and on the bench.

I'm still curious if there is anything influencing Woody's change in coaching other than having more vets on the bench. Wonder if Sund has influenced him too?

Hard to say, but thinking back Woody did use AJ and Ty Lue (is he playing this year?) before the Bibby trade. Hell, he even used Shellhead, but he got no production from them comparable to what Mo & Flip give. That says to me that the players on the bench have more to do with it than Sund (who must be given credit for giving Woody those players, however).