JJ vs. Smoove: Who's more important?

Elijah

My friend and I were having this debate.

Let's say the entire team is healthy, and you could only choose to have 1 on your team for an 82 game season...Who do you take? Do you take Smoove's shotblocking, explosiveness, and energy, or do you take JJ's amazing offensive prowess?

Who is the more valuable player?

Let's say the entire team is healthy, and you could only choose to have 1 on your team for an 82 game season...Who do you take? Do you take Smoove's shotblocking, explosiveness, and energy, or do you take JJ's amazing offensive prowess?

On this particular Hawks team I think Josh is more valuable. Last year I'd say JJ was more valuable though since we didn't have anyone to replace his scoring like we could get away with at times this year.

Either way losing one of them is pretty much a kiss of death since we won't win consistently.

On this particular Hawks team I think Josh is more valuable. Last year I'd say JJ was more valuable though since we didn't have anyone to replace his scoring like we could get away with at times this year.

Either way losing one of them is pretty much a kiss of death since we won't win consistently.

Yeah, I'd like to go with equal.

Joe is more valuable in a vacuum. More teams in the league would like him, certainly more teams that need a one guy to push them over the top.

On this team however, Josh provides too much and the backups in the front court are too bad.

A note, this thread has the potential to denegrate. I'll stick with "equal value"

• Premium Member

None of those pieces that you like on "this year's team" can function without JJ.

JJ is the target of most defenses.

Josh is definitely a defensive asset, but without JJ, we would fall apart offensively.

Guys, I don't know why everyone is saying our backups are "terrible". They aren't. They're BACKUPS for a reason... When you put Zaza as a starter, you see why he shouldn't start. Solo shouldn't get BIG minutes either. They need to stay as backups and give good minutes then.

None of those pieces that you like on "this year's team" can function without JJ.

JJ is the target of most defenses.

Josh is definitely a defensive asset, but without JJ, we would fall apart offensively.

We DON'T have a problem scoring. Without JJ we'd be able to score 100 points every game with the rest of this cast. In fact I'd say that Josh would probably step up and become our top scorer.

We DO have a problem stopping people without Josh.

I don't think we'd win much either way but I like the odds that the score would be closer more often losing JJ than it would be losing Smoove.

Guys, I don't know why everyone is saying our backups are "terrible". They aren't. They're BACKUPS for a reason... When you put Zaza as a starter, you see why he shouldn't start. Solo shouldn't get BIG minutes either. They need to stay as backups and give good minutes then.

Yep I agree with that assessment Volman. I think we're perfectly capable with our backup bigs of matching other teams backup bigs, but make them starters and we're doomed.

We DON'T have a problem scoring. Without JJ we'd be able to score 100 points every game with the rest of this cast. In fact I'd say that Josh would probably step up and become our top scorer.

I don't think we'd win much either way but I like the odds that the score would be closer more often losing JJ than it would be losing Smoove.

The only historical precedent we have is 06-07 when Josh did in fact step up and become a 20-10 guy during JJ's abscence at the end of the season.

Its not something I'd like to count on though - we could have an offense without Joe but I think for us to have a good offense we need him.

• Premium Member

Eh...

No thanks.

I think you will come to realize that the reason why these guys are good "scorers" is because JJ takes a huge amount of attention. Defenses plan on stopping JJ not stopping the cast. Moreover, Josh would step up with what? His 34% 3 pt shooting?

I think Josh is equally important to the defense, but for some reason, I think that with JJ there's a possibility that we can outscore a team...

But with Josh and NO JJ, I don't think we'd be able to stop a team and out score them.

Eh...

No thanks.

I think you will come to realize that the reason why these guys are good "scorers" is because JJ takes a huge amount of attention. Defenses plan on stopping JJ not stopping the cast. Moreover, Josh would step up with what? His 34% 3 pt shooting?

I think Josh is equally important to the defense, but for some reason, I think that with JJ there's a possibility that we can outscore a team...

But with Josh and NO JJ, I don't think we'd be able to stop a team and out score them.

The only historical precedent we have is 06-07 when Josh did in fact step up and become a 20-10 guy during JJ's abscence at the end of the season.

Its not something I'd like to count on though - we could have an offense without Joe but I think for us to have a good offense we need him.

We are obviously missing Smoove right now but I think it is JJ hands down. He is our best player. Period. That said, we won't win anything of importance without either of them.

Really, no team in today's NBA is going to be able to survive longterm with the loss of their 2nd best player. The Lakers are the only team that would have a shot but if they lose Gasol, I don't know if they win the West.

Edited by Traceman

tough question, if your referring to just losing them to an injury then I say it's a push. If we lose one of them and have the opportunity to replace them I say it goes slightly to Smoove. It would take 3 guys to replace what he brings, and honestly I can think of 10 guys off the top of my head that could bring what JJ brings to the table, and maybe more.

• Premium Member
tough question, if your referring to just losing them to an injury then I say it's a push. If we lose one of them and have the opportunity to replace them I say it goes slightly to Smoove. It would take 3 guys to replace what he brings, and honestly I can think of 10 guys off the top of my head that could bring what JJ brings to the table, and maybe more.

Yeah, but if those ten guys are Kobe, Lebron, Wade.. then you got to be kidding.

• Admin

Joe easily...we are not as good without Josh. Without Joe we are done.

Joe easily...we are not as good without Josh. Without Joe we are done.

This is correct. It's hopeless without Joe. Just like everyone else's D is exposed when Smith is out, everyone else's offense would be exposed without Joe. Joe is the better player and would be missed more.

What's beautiful is that they are both equally important to the team.

To use a crude example, I'd say Joe Johnson is like getting high and J-Smoove is like getting drunk.

They both do the job just great by themselves but when you mix both of them together at the same time it's perfect.

We need Joe for the consistency, the leadership, and to be our go-to guy in the clutch....and we need Josh also for the leadership, intensity, and to set the tone on the defensive end.

So I'd say, they are like getting high and drunk, in which case I will take them both.

Oh and busboyisback-MM isn't the same without ya buddy

Joe Johnson hands down. No one on this team could get an open shot without Joe. The whole offense runs through him and he is at the very least tied as our best man defender with Marv. Joe is usually the guy who guards the other teams best scorer. Im not saying we dont miss what Smoove brings but without Joe we dont even come close in Boston.

Joe Johnson hands down. No one on this team could get an open shot without Joe. The whole offense runs through him and he is at the very least tied as our best man defender with Marv. Joe is usually the guy who guards the other teams best scorer. Im not saying we dont miss what Smoove brings but without Joe we dont even come close in Boston.

It'sa tough call....JJ is mega-important to our offense and actually defends well and even rebounds. Al Horford is the rock inside - getting hit a lot but giving it back too. JS is the Wild Card...does semi-super human things and scares the p!ss out of other pros. Get em all healthy (with Zaza healthy and playing tough to boot) and we'll be OK inside - maybe Marvin has learned (tonight) that he can (needs) to be a solid inside guy too....(this I doubt since he tends to be passive unless the Titanic is sinking below him and Woody says "rebound or I'll kill you".....just kidding on that - Marvin can rebound - but he turned it up tonight).

Edited by DJlaysitup